Author Topic: NES PAL and Expansion Audio  (Read 4196 times)

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
NES PAL and Expansion Audio
« on: February 25, 2018, 12:48 PM »
Hi there.

I own an original PAL NES system and an EverDrive N8 flash card. I am quite interested in expansion audio for Famicom games in the EverDrive N8 and I know the system doesn't normally support it. I've seen mods to North American systems to allow for Expansion Audio and was wondering if it is possible for PAL systems too. If it is possible is it worth it? I know the clock speed would be slower but otherwise would it work?

Many thanks.

Offline borgie83

• View Profile
Re: NES PAL and Expansion Audio
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 02:04 PM »
I've got 4 x Enio Audio Expansion boards on the way to me now. Should arrive shortly. I'll then install them into my 2 x NTSC US consoles and 2 x PAL-A consoles. Once I've slotted them in I'll test the expansion audio on the PAL console and let you know how I go. Can't see why it wouldn't work. In my opinion, using an Enio board is a much better solution than modding your console for expanded audio. Keeps it original and there's less chance of a stuff up occurring in the modding process.

https://www.nintendorepairhut.com/accessories/nintendonesaccessories.html

Here's the link if you'd like to purchase one. Just scroll to the bottom where you'll see the Enio Exp board.

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 09:23 PM »
I've got 4 x Enio Audio Expansion boards on the way to me now. Should arrive shortly. I'll then install them into my 2 x NTSC US consoles and 2 x PAL-A consoles. Once I've slotted them in I'll test the expansion audio on the PAL console and let you know how I go. Can't see why it wouldn't work. In my opinion, using an Enio board is a much better solution than modding your console for expanded audio. Keeps it original and there's less chance of a stuff up occurring in the modding process.

https://www.nintendorepairhut.com/accessories/nintendonesaccessories.html

Here's the link if you'd like to purchase one. Just scroll to the bottom where you'll see the Enio Exp board.
Thank you for your reply. I would love to hear how it goes. Could you also explain how it works roughly as I've never heard of one before.

Offline borgie83

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 11:46 PM »
No Problem :) The Enio Exp board slots directly into the expansion slot on the bottom of a front loader nes console. All you need to do is remove the expansion slot cover and plug it right in. This then enables expansion audio from the nes without the need to do any soldering/mods. A great and simple solution.

Note though that with the Enio exp audio board in place, the slot cover cannot be closed so the white port on the left hand side where it says Unreg, 5V and GND would need to be removed. This is not essential but if you're like me, you'll want the slot cover in place to cover the exp board.

Edit: Forgot to mention that it was also designed so Famicom accessories (like the keyboard) could be connected to the Nes but those accessories are not required to be used so most just use this board for enabling expanded audio. A ribbon cable comes with the board though for those who do want to fiddle around with the Famicom accessories.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:53 PM by borgie83 »

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 02:06 PM »
No Problem :) The Enio Exp board slots directly into the expansion slot on the bottom of a front loader nes console. All you need to do is remove the expansion slot cover and plug it right in. This then enables expansion audio from the nes without the need to do any soldering/mods. A great and simple solution.

Note though that with the Enio exp audio board in place, the slot cover cannot be closed so the white port on the left hand side where it says Unreg, 5V and GND would need to be removed. This is not essential but if you're like me, you'll want the slot cover in place to cover the exp board.

Edit: Forgot to mention that it was also designed so Famicom accessories (like the keyboard) could be connected to the Nes but those accessories are not required to be used so most just use this board for enabling expanded audio. A ribbon cable comes with the board though for those who do want to fiddle around with the Famicom accessories.
Thank you. That sounds really good. I think as long as it works it could be a great solution. Thank you for pointing it out.

Offline borgie83

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 05:06 AM »
Ok, so I got around to testing the Enio Exp board on both an NTSC and PAL console. Works beautifully and as it should on the NTSC console using the Everdrive N8. Tested by playing through a bit of Akumajou Densetsu  (Castlevania 3). Not so good on the PAL console though. I mean it does work but then you run into the normal NTSC/PAL speed difference issues. Much too glitchy to be playable. Unable to see the whole stats section at the top of the screen and the graphics are jumbled. The expansion audio does play though so essentially we know that the region makes no difference to expansion audio. The Enio board enables expanded sound so this test will apply to those modding for expanded audio as well. In my opinion, it's best just to import an NTSC console. No need to worry about step down converters as a PAL megadrive model 1 power adapter works with a NTSC Nes console. I personally use a universal DC adapter with interchangeable tips for all my NTSC consoles. Obviously check that the polarity is correct before inserting the plug though.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 12:58 AM by borgie83 »

Offline borgie83

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 05:28 AM »
Forgot to mention that you should use the latest mapper updates for Sunsoft 5B, VRC6 and VRC7. I've attached a file which contains the latest Everdrive N8 os, latest mappers and the MAPROUT.BIN file which has already been edited to avoid conflicts with other mappers. Mappers have personally been tested and work great so enjoy playing Batman Return of the Joker, Gimmick, Castlevania 3, Langridge Point etc once you finish with your expanded audio project :)

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 11:24 PM »
Sorry about the huge delay. Thank you for your reply. Sounds like importing a AV Famicom would be a better plan for me.