Author Topic: fixes for games working con Everdrive MD but NOT Mega Everdrives ?  (Read 701 times)

Offline chilled

• View Profile
Some games worked on Everdrive MD v3 but do not work on modern Mega Everdrives (confirmed on X5, MED v1 & v2/X7 at least) so I guess it's because of the change of OS / hardware ?

- Beggar Prince (MD) : crashes back to title screen early in the game (when you get a spell), fixed in OS 4.xx but as Mega Everdrive X3 & X5 need the 3.xx OS, this is NOT fixed there
NOTE: this problem is NOT present on Taiwanese untranslated roms (I just checked), only on Super Fighter Team's (both revisions), so they actually introduced a bug !?

- Super Space Invaders (SMS) : boot screen loops endlessly (green text like ram checks etc)
- Sega Chess (SMS) won't load

Probably also Jungle Book, Lion King, Robocop 3 & James Bond still on SMS but those are ports that had superior versions on Mega Drive so it's less important I think. Sources:
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=7212.0
https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3749.0

Can this be fixed in a new OS update? Or do patched roms/ips exist somewhere? I wish the fixes released on OS 4.xx for Mega Everdrive Pro were backported to OS 3.xx, I understand some are not possible but others should (there are many other unlicensed games that do not work but they are not high profile as Beggar Prince: Lion King 2 & 3, Death Caliber, etc)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:24 PM by chilled »

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
Re: fixes for games working con Everdrive MD but NOT Mega Everdrives ?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 02:46 PM »
it has been a while since i looked into it but the last i heard the beggar prince issue was due to in game protection from the people that released it. super fighter team or something like that they were called. there is also issues with a few others games they released. at some point it was said that fully cracked versions of these games were online somewhere but they had been removed when i looked there.
 also some sms games will not work on megadrive/genesis. the original games would not work when using a power base converter so they wont work using a flash cart. maybe soem the sms games you listed are those non working ones. as far as i remember there were not many incompatible sms games on megadrive/genesis.

Offline chilled

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 07:45 PM »
if that's so, how come they work on Everdrive MD v3 and NOT on X5 ?

Beggar Prince is probably a different matter, though. The issue was fixed for Mega Everdrive Pro on I think maybe OS 4.09 but as X3 & X5 can only use OS 3.XX, the problem persists there. Also I see OS 4.XX includes support for unlicensed mappers (Realtec, etc.) but I'd like to think these could also be supported on X3 & X5 (I don't know if leaving them behing is a commercial decision or a technical limitation, I know for sure it is the latter for Demons of Asteborg support among other things).

Source:
https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=10684.msg

Also if anyone wants to check if it works for them, just start the game, skip cutscenes and go to the right and enter the first house where there's a witch. smash buttons through the dialogue and you'll get the spell, but the console reboots back to title screen after that. Thanks in advance for reporting here, along with your Everdrive model.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 08:03 PM by chilled »

Offline Adrian Gauna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 10:34 AM »
it has been a while since i looked into it but the last i heard the beggar prince issue was due to in game protection from the people that released it. super fighter team or something like that they were called. there is also issues with a few others games they released. at some point it was said that fully cracked versions of these games were online somewhere but they had been removed when i looked there.
 also some sms games will not work on megadrive/genesis. the original games would not work when using a power base converter so they wont work using a flash cart. maybe soem the sms games you listed are those non working ones. as far as i remember there were not many incompatible sms games on megadrive/genesis.

Um no, that is not correct, it's definitely Krikkz's OS in the X7 as those Master System games run perfectly on the Master System/Power Base Converter as single game carts, I know from experience as I own several of them.

I'm just gonna copy and paste this next paragraph as i've posted this on this forum before.

Games that don't work on the Mega EverDrive X7 with latest firmware.

1. Sega Chess = Black Screen nothing
2. The Lion King = Can't actually play the game as it haults to an endless black screen after the title screen.
3. The Jungle Book = It resets itself back to the title screen after defeating the snake boss in stage 2, so you can never actually play it properly unless you use the stage select cheat.
4. Pitfighter = You get approximately one second into the game and then it crashes each and every time.
5. Krusty's Fun House = It crashes after the title screen over and over again. Unplayable
6. James Bond 007 = Same as Pitfighter, it crashes seconds upon boot up.
7. Super Space Invaders = Constantly loops the opening text over and over so you're never able to actually get into the actual game.
8. Street Fighter II = Now this one is a Tectoy exclusive and even this game doesn't run properly, once you finish a round it decides to crash.

Now there might be other titles that have issues that i'm not aware of yet but these are the one's I found. Would be very interesting to see if these games still have the same problem with the Pro or whether they were fixed.

If we examine the games upon careful inspection it is discovered that they are all western Master System releases not developed or published by Sega Enterprises Ltd Japan. Sega only licensed these titles to play on the SMS (usually in Europe and Brazil) so maybe there's something the X7 doesn't like about the programming of these western PAL Master System releases? Also to note that about 2 or 3 of them were programmed by the great Dominic Wood who first worked for Probe Software and then left to form Syrox Developments.

I personally own The Lion King, The Jungle Book, Pitfighter and Sega Chess on actual single carts and they run perfectly on the Mega Drive when using the Master System/Power Base Converter but the other ones I have no other way of playing them. Shouldn't matter whether I own them or not as single games they should all be working but I don't blame Krikkz for this as he could never guarentee that every single game was going to work 100% on his products.

I personally can't see Krikkz fixing this issue as he doesn't support the Mega EverDrive X3, X5 & X7 anymore, sadly all his attention is on the Pro.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 10:36 AM by Adrian Gauna »

Offline chilled

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 06:30 PM »
I think you are missing SMS Robocop 3, but most of those games are worse or downgraded ports of their Mega Drive counterparts, so it's not very annoying.

But Sega Chess & Super Space Invaders are not, and are actually good games for the system.

As for Tec Toy's Street Fighter II, it works both on Everdrive MD v3 and Mega Everdrive X5, but with some sort of compatibilty problem which forces you to play in 2 player mode, so to see the regular game you must win with the second player and then take it from there. It doesn't crash on me (Genesis 1 VA6).

Anyway what I find sad is that those games DO work on Everdrive MD (v3) but NOT on its successors, namely the X3, X5 & X7

As for Beggar Prince, it seems to be Super Fighter Team's fault, as the roms are also faulty on emulators, and the Taiwanese original works ok everywhere. I can't find the third version rom if there is one.

Offline Adrian Gauna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 11:55 AM »
Shouldn't matter if those SMS games are downgraded ports, they SHOULD all be working but are not and it's the Mega EverDrive to blame not the ROMS because they all work as stand alone ROMS on the Master System/Power Base Converter.

The biggest let down for me is Sega Chess, The Lion King and The Jungle Book, The Master System's version of The Jungle Book is quite different to the Mega Drive version and quite enjoyable.

Robocop 3 plays for me, although I only played it for a minute as I got my arse whipped within seconds. Where is the supposed error section where it decides not to function as intended?

Offline chilled

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 11:39 PM »
Yes you're right Robocop 3 works ok, I did read it somewhere in this forum but didn't check this one myself at the time, it seems.

As for Beggar Prince, upon further reading, the "bug" Super Fighter Team introduced in their copies of the game (first rom + rev1) is more a copy-protection mechanism that hasn't been defeated, but people are reporting that it works in genesis plus gx emulator (must check) but I confirm it does not in Kega or Blastem (it always reset upon getting first spell) nor obviously real hardware, so this one is a copy protection issue and maybe not so an everdrive compatibilty problem.

Offline Adrian Gauna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 01:51 AM »
Puggsy by Traveller's Tales has a similar issue but there is a fix patch out for that game.

Playing it on emulators and Everdrives would cause it to bring up a copy protection message halfway through the game telling you to buy an original copy as it could detect that you were playing a emulated copy by the Everdrive automatically writing data to sram while the original cartridge never did which was causing the snag. On emulators it could be easily fixed by setting the emulator to no sram write but on Everdrives there is no option so someone created a patch that overwrites that copy protection blocking screen.

Maybe you should campaign for someone to do the same thing for Beggars Prince?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 11:31 AM »
It's probably fixable in an OS update to make the Everdrive act like the real cart so that it can't be detected by the piracy check.

Offline chilled

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 03:11 PM »
It's probably fixable in an OS update to make the Everdrive act like the real cart so that it can't be detected by the piracy check.
Wasn't it implemented in OS 4.09 (or other revision) for the MED PRO (and v2) ? What I'd like is for it to be backported to OS 3.00 next version, as you cannot run OS 4.XX on X3 or X5

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 02:24 PM »
The X-series are not deprecated products so they may still receive updates to get this fixed. Krikzz doesn't show up on the forum very often though.

Offline Adrian Gauna

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 08:42 AM »
The X-series are not deprecated products so they may still receive updates to get this fixed. Krikzz doesn't show up on the forum very often though.

That's what i've been saying on other subjects related to this one, Krikkz should still offer minimum support for the X series in the form of updates but not to introduce new things but just to iron out all the existing bugs that still exist like for example the EEPROM issue with ''Wonderboy In Monsterworld'' and ''Mega Man The Wily Wars'' not saving at all, even when the proper step by step instructions are done on how to save.

Since the Pro has been on the market, Krikkz has heavily ignored the X series.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 11:22 AM »
I think he is still supporting them, X-3 and X-5 are budget alternatives to the X-7 and Pro, and still supported alongside them. The X5 is not much older than the Pro.
But his work on all Everdrives seems to have slowed down a lot lately, not just the ones for Mega Drive. Twitter seems to be the easiest way to communicate with him.

Online Nemok

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 01:39 PM »
I don't really know how Krikzz works, it looks like he's alone on all the OSes, all the models, without any updated compatibility list or any dedicated beta testing team.

Offline chilled

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2021, 01:26 AM »
Still, I'm not asking for new features on inferior yet still supported hardware, but just to restore features that were present in an even older model: (EverdriveMD v3 was compatible with Super Space Invaders and Sega Chess).

Of course I would prefer he backported the Beggar Prince support in the Pro to the X series but I don't even know if that's easy to do, I hope it's not a nogo from the hardware side like with the eeprom save support
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 01:30 AM by chilled »