Author Topic: Top 10 Japan N64 Titles requesting to be translated  (Read 118981 times)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Top 10 Japan N64 Titles requesting to be translated
« Reply #255 on: May 27, 2020, 01:14 PM »
It doesn't have that much content, so it's maybe not that much to translate, but it would need subtitles for the commentator. And since it probably only works with Japanese Pokemon Gameboy carts, and if it's going to be translated to English it would also need to get English cart support fixed as well. You can get a Pikachu to learn SURF which is useful for Pokemon Yellow.

Offline whowasphone

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 27, 2020, 08:03 AM »
I can speak and read intermediate Japanese and I am interested in working on Yakochu II: Satsujin Koro. I love horror games and the N64 has so few of them! I'm not a professional translator but I think I could translate most N64 games accurately.

When I looked into it, I found that it had already been translated by "Teary_Eyes"_Anderson.
He has uploaded a full play through of the game here and on the Internet Archive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUy-Q89r5sQ

https://archive.org/details/YakochuIiSatsujinKorowithCompleteEnglishTranslation

It sounds like he has been working on the translation for a number of years. I think we should applaud his hard work!
His translation looks good from what I have seen, but he has tried to preserve the word order and phrasing of the original text which makes the sentences sound strange in English. I understand why he did this, as he wanted to keep the nuance of the sentences.

I know nothing about rom hacking, but if anyone is interested I would be willing to make a new translation.

I was surprised to read there was a Japanese translation of Space Station Silicon Valley. As a Brit, I'm sad that game was never released in Japan. I think they would have enjoyed it. Congratulations and thank you for fixing that glitch!

Edit

I will get in touch with Mr Anderson and see if he is willing to share the Japanese text file with me as that will save a huge amount of time!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 08:07 AM by whowasphone »
Dark Japan - Ghost stories, urban legends and untold horror....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh7TaAmKURxhk3cxQbTa6zQ

Offline macN64

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 27, 2020, 10:41 PM »
Yes please! Yakochu would be one of my top picks for a translation.

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 28, 2020, 02:19 AM »
I've always wanted to do a translation hack for Yakouchuu II.  It has such a unique text system that would be a fun challenge to adapt to English.  I just don't have the time right now.  I have 2 active translations and I have some very recent hacking challenges.

You can always check with Zoinkity - he's a very active translation hacker, but also very busy.  There are one or two other small translation hacking groups out there that might be interested too.  A lot of hacking groups have moved to discords, and checking there might be a good option.  Right now might be a bit difficult with all the recent leaks. 

At the very least, here are some hires scans of the box, manual, game, etc: https://archive.org/details/yakouchuuiihires
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline JoDark00

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 28, 2020, 05:09 AM »
Is the Anderson version available anywhere as a playable patch? All I can seem to find is the video. I would love to see another one made with the phrasing changed as mentioned above but it would be nice to have in the meantime, if it's out there.

Edit: read more of his explanation of the video and the text boxes were added in afterwards, pasted into the video. So never mind my silly question lol. Would still love to see a proper translation of this though!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 05:48 AM by JoDark00 »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 29, 2020, 01:29 PM »
Whowasphone, I've sent you a PM.

Offline whowasphone

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 05, 2020, 06:53 AM »
At the very least, here are some hires scans of the box, manual, game, etc: https://archive.org/details/yakouchuuiihires

Here is my translation of the manual and box.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/n64/576666-yakouchuu-ii-satsujin-kouro/faqs/78520

There are many ways to translate the Yakochu part of the title. It literally means Noctiluca scintillans which are "a species of dinoflagellate that exhibits bioluminescence". Some popular names for them are Mareel, Ghost Sea, Sea Sparkle and Sea Fire.  Ghost sea certainly matches the theme of the game but it also sounds a bit dumb. There is the option of just leaving the title in Romaji. Any opinions?

There is a bit of plot information in there and introductions of all the main characters. I was surprised to find out one of the main character's last names is the same as the town where I grew up in England. It must be destiny that I try to translate this!

I'm glad there is interest in a translation. I am quite busy with work and family, but I would love to complete a full translation. I have sent a message to Mr Anderson, so I will let you all know his response.
Thank you for the support ozidual, I will send Zoinkity  a message if I can't get hold of the text.

Thank you for your PM Kerr Avon. I will send you one back.

I'm excited to work on this project, translating the manual was a lot of fun.

-Edit-
I had some time today, so I have translated a walk through that I found here, I will post it to GameFaqs.
https://sue.chobi.net/yakochu2/c.html

I noticed a few things while reading through it. The game has at least 19 endings and three side routes. I'm not sure how different the endings are from each other though. The game also keeps track of how you treat your partner, Arisa. In the main game, there are over 60 choices to be made through out the story. At the end of the game you have to enter the name of who you think the suspect is, which gives me the feeling that you have to really pay attention throughout the story and give that last choice some thought. It definitely gave me some 999, nonary game vibes.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 03:47 AM by whowasphone »

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 05, 2020, 04:59 PM »
I'll see what I can do for ripping the text from the game.  That should give you something to work on and hopefully I can finish up some projects before you finish translating.  I can't promise I'll be able to rip the text, but I'll do my best.

Fun side note from the debug text:
0x49890 - Oh,No!You made the Fatality Error!
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline DoritosAreVegan

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 07, 2020, 04:13 AM »
You could just leave it at "Yakouchu Part II - Murderous Sea (or Murder at Sea)". The non-english "Yakouchu" part grabs attention, while the english sub-title fills the player in on what to expect.

Offline whowasphone

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 12, 2020, 03:13 AM »
Thanks for the ideas :) I agree, I think leaving Yakouchu, untranslated sounds better than an awkward sounding but correct English translation. I also think Murderous Sea is a better title, but the Japanese subtitle refers to the boat being a cruise liner. So maybe Murderous Cruise or The Murderous Liner would be more accurate.

The game is clearly heavily influenced by Kamaitachi no Yoru, which was recently translated by Jeremy Blaustein. It's title literally means "The Night of the Sickle Weasel", in reference to a Japanese monster. But that became, Banshee's Last Cry when it was released. I can see what they were going for, but in an effort to make the folk lore understandable they have mixed Irish and Japanese folklore together. You can't please everyone with translation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamaitachi_no_Yoru

Thanks for the input!

Offline supersign

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 02, 2020, 02:45 PM »
My two cents:

Translating simple, yet fun multiplayer games should probably get priority. Multiplayer is such a huge component of the N64 experience and there are a number of great & untranslated games that get little or no love. Additionally, because of the multiplayer component, any 2-4 player games that are translated will probably gain more exposure, have more replayability and reach a wider audience/player pool.

My suggestions:

Susume! Taisen Puzzle Dama
Puyo Puyo Sun 64
Puyo Puyo 4
Ucchannanchan no Honou no Challenge: Denryuu IraIra Bou (Irritating Stick)
Ganbare Goemon: Mononoke Sugoroku
Getter Love!!

Ganbare Goemon & Getter Love would probably be the hardest of the two to translate/hack, but they are both very fun games. The other ones listed contain very little japanese and would be fairly easy/quick to translate.

I agree. +1 for Ucchannanchan no Honou no Challenge. A puzzle game I really like made by Yukes's of all people and published by Hudson.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 02:53 PM by supersign »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 13, 2021, 09:00 PM »
https://tcrf.net/Castlevania_(Nintendo_64)
It seems like Japanese version has the voices too. Nothing about it being in Japanese though, so it might be the same voice acting as the PAL version.
US version was released first.

Well, sounds like if it has enough differences, and voices are in english, and to get regular save game files, it would be well worth getting a translation of both versions (Castlevania 64 + Legacy of Darkness) for NTSC play!

Offline MofoMan2000

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 14, 2021, 01:11 AM »
the three Doraemon titles look interewsting but without english i have no idea what's going on lol.

Dude those are great. I was playing around on one of those and suddenly I met some aliens. I had no idea what was going on but I was having a blast. I just wish I knew why I keep dying just by running around.

I think the most obvious choice is Doubutsu no Mori, or Animal Forest (Crossing). It already has a fan translation, but it kinda sucks and was a bit unstable. You might be able to use it as a starting point even.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 14, 2021, 02:37 AM »
My top 10 would be all the RPGs, and adventure games, plus Japanese Castlevania version... There is also some really cool looking interactive movie type game with giant robots that would be very cool to play in english. Neon Genesis Evagelion I think?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 14, 2021, 12:04 PM »
From your comment it sounds like you are not familiar with Neon Genesis Evangelion. It was the single most influential and best selling anime of its time. If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend it.