Author Topic: How to save and load a game?  (Read 8190 times)

Offline Sensei1978

• View Profile
How to save and load a game?
« on: December 04, 2015, 01:22 PM »
Hello.
I have tried it many times. But what exactly must i do to save a game and load the savegame?
Thank you

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: How to save and load a game?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 02:46 PM »
You save in game like usual and it will be automatically saved in the cart. If you hold reset to reset it to the SD2SNES menu it will be copied to SD card (required for MSU1 games). It will be loaded again automatically the next time you start the game.

Offline Sensei1978

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 06:50 PM »
I have tried it with donkey kong country. I played one level. Then I reset the snes. When I start the game again I must begin with the first level. There is no save.

Offline hunterk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 06:59 PM »
Make sure your SD card isn't write-locked (i.e., using the little switch on the side of the card).

aloram

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 07:19 PM »
I have tried it with donkey kong country. I played one level. Then I reset the snes. When I start the game again I must begin with the first level. There is no save.
In Donkey Kong Country, you need to wait until you get to a save point, if I recall correctly. The SD2SNES doesn't support save states, so you have to save in each game as you would on a regular cartridge.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/how-to-save-game-on-donkey-kong-country-for-super-nintendo.156259924/

Offline Sensei1978

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 08:00 AM »
Thank you.
I will try it today.
I'm new with these everdrives.
I thought the SD2SNES saves around the clock and by resetting the SNES the SD2SNES saves the state on the SD-Card.
Then i can load an play wherever i stopped in the game.

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 09:46 AM »
Nope. SD2SNES saves all the time, IF the game saved/modified data on SRAM. This is detected and saved to SD. But ONLY on non MSU-1 games or games which don't use the SRAM as Cache. ikari once said which games are the latter ones, but I don't find it right now. DKC does save as soon as you found a save barrel aka Candy's save point and jumped in it. You can't save all the time as this is no modern casual game, but a good old game with some difficulty ^^
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 09:49 AM by dreimer »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 02:59 PM »
SD2SNES checks all the time to update the save on SD (this is what ikari means by "Automatic near-time SRAM saving to SD Card"), but resetting to menu guarantees that the SD has the latest SRAM save.

Games that use SRAM space as normal RAM are instead checked periodically (instead of all the time). MSU1 games are not checked at all so they require resetting to SD2SNES menu or you will loose your latest save.