Author Topic: Top 10 Japan N64 Titles requesting to be translated  (Read 9618 times)

Offline binkers87

• View Profile
Re: Top 10 Japan N64 Titles requesting to be translated
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2017, 11:28 pm »
Ghast all Zoinkity provided me with was the injection tools to extract the script and re-insert. I have spent 3-4 months on the project  translating myself and hired a few professional translators to help me because I'm a huge Custom Robo fan. I wanted this done right. I have redone the entire script (although most of what Zoinkity had ended up coming out similar because it was very accurately done wherever he got it from.) I redid a lot of his images but kept a few since it wasnt worth my time to redo them IMO. New title screen as well since the orig was left untouched.

Custom Robo V2 is 100% my project. I have literally done everything from the ground up. Weapons, items etc. Regardless  I have to give credit to Zoinkity for his tools he made because they work great and have helped tremendously. Custom Robo 2 will be a few months but I am excited when it will be done since the story is very captivating. however there are two story modes so it wil take longer

GetterLove is another I have approached on my own with some help from another  on this forum.

We plan on doing Super Robot Taisen 64 and Nushi tsuri after these as well. The goal is to do the entire japanese library wiithin a few years hopefully.

We do need some translators because I just don't have the time to translate AND insert all of the text into these games. If anyone wants to volunteer PM me and I'll get you started.

Offline Aroenai

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2017, 12:28 am »
He isn't a hacker AT ALL.  He steals work from people and drives them off the internet.  He STOLE the Sin and Punishment translation from Vanit and used a DDOS to take down his website.
All he did was put DRM to try to prevent ED64 users playing the game but the REAL hackers here took it out.
Ask him a direct question about n64.  Anything.  He will avoid answering ANY QUESTION because he CAN'T ANSWER.

I'd like to take a moment to appreciate the irony of claiming the text translation of a game with English audio and an official English Virtual Console release on Wii (available at the time of the patch release) is stolen, while also claiming that Zoinkity has no skill but can create a "DRM" to intentionally lock out specific hardware.  ::)

As for myself, I have asked Zoinkity many questions specific to N64 modding and received very detailed answers that were very helpful. He does tend to give answers meant to give you what you need but not do it for you, which can actually be very helpful in some cases. He does have a full time job that can prevent him from answering messages, which I can relate to.
---
Mostly working on Zelda OoT & MM GC patches
Also, breaking region protections
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modified with an UltraCIC II

Offline Ghast

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2017, 01:15 am »
30tooth: the train controller goes in port 3 and the voice unit in port four.

It's really easy to lock out certain hardware.  You can do it in 4-6 opcodes depending on the test values.  ED64 registers start at A8040000.
Read hardware address
while matches value: pass

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2017, 04:16 pm »
Ghast, please leave any private feuds outside of this forum. Fighting on the internet never achieves anything, and never changes anyone's mind, you just waste your time and energy. We're all working towards bettering the N64 gaming community, however large or small our contributions are, and an English translation of Densha de Go will be a real asset. From those screenshots, you're doing a beautiful job of the conversion, it's a nice surprise to find that someone is translating this game.

It's almost a very well kept secret that the N64 has a train simulator. Do you have a rough estimate of when you'll be releasing the completed translation patch, please? And I take it that it's fully compatible with the N64 joypad, and doesn't need the train controller, for those that don't have one?

Offline Ghast

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2017, 05:20 pm »
Shouldn't everyone be irate when somebody preys on the community for their own gain?

It will take 3-4 more months.  My team has worked on this for a year and a half now.  If the team at emutalk.net figures out how the voice unit works we can add that in later.

The game works fine with the normal controller.  Train controller is an option.

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2017, 05:34 pm »

translations look like a lot of work.
i'm not really into it, but last year i have programmed a special image converter for a translation project.
it's for winning eleven for the gamecube, so there might be a full translation of this game, in the future. ^^

maybe it's about time to go back to the n64. ^^
luigiblood's 64dd disk dumper, is this still a thing? is there any need for a ed64 version?

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2017, 06:04 pm »
All he did was put DRM to try to prevent ED64 users playing the game but the REAL hackers here took it out.

It is ON PURPOSE that every Zoinkity patch DOES NOT WORK ON AN ED64 until REAL HACKERS here fix them.  They all have save issues or don't work.

i don't think this is right. ^^
there are only some cic seed differences for aleck64 and 64dd-cart-port, but there was never a secret about this.
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/64dd-cartridge-conversions-released.56654/#post-811695

Aleck64 seed:
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/aleck64-on-retail-consoles-poc.55041/

the 64dd-ports are running in an emulator, too. so it's a piece of cake the get the information.
https://github.com/project64/project64/blob/e1633bbada8fd8638afcd14650fb4d1965a59034/Source/Project64-core/N64System/N64RomClass.cpp#L331

Dezaemon 3D saving simply wasn't implemented in the ed64 firmware, since this thread.
https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3133.msg33020#msg33020

btw. krikzz is pretty fast in adding features, if you provide him the technical details via pm. ^^
i think he gives a great support and he lets the users participate in improving his flashcarts.

like the ultracic II thing. it was just a matter of days and the new carts in the shop were updated. :D
https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3450.0

Offline GBM

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2017, 08:39 pm »

btw. krikzz is pretty fast in adding features, if you provide him the technical details via pm. ^^
i think he gives a great support and he lets the users participate in improving his flashcarts.

Is this only true for PMs? There have been several threads about possible improvements in the past year, admittedly mostly software-related, but krikzz didn't even comment on that. I'm not saying he owes us anything but I was just surprised about what you had written.
Sorry for offtopic btw.

Offline Spencer.Ryan.C

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2017, 10:23 pm »

- Wave Race 64 - Shindou Edition
- Mario 64 - Shindou Edition

I upvote this !

Why? Isn't the only difference between them and the NTSC versions (other than the Japanese text) the fact that they support the rumble pak? It would be great to have them translated (one day, hopefully, all N64 roms will be translated), but I'd say they're not a priority compared to the games that aren't available in English.

I know I'm late to this discussion -- and quite frankly uneducated on Japanese games, but wouldn't a Mario 64 Shindou Edition translation patch be simple? Couldn't text be simply ported from the NTSC-U version?

Offline binkers87

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2017, 11:31 pm »

I know I'm late to this discussion -- and quite frankly uneducated on Japanese games, but wouldn't a Mario 64 Shindou Edition translation patch be simple? Couldn't text be simply ported from the NTSC-U version?
[/quote]

Ryan it would likely be a headache since the amount of text in the japanese rom would be less. So we would have to create room for the English text to go in, plus they would likely be in different places because of the code for the rumble pak stuff. Lots of moving parts.

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2017, 12:00 am »
Is this only true for PMs? There have been several threads about possible improvements in the past year, admittedly mostly software-related, but krikzz didn't even comment on that.

i guess it's more about how constructive these wishes are.
e.g. if you like to have a new mapper for the n8 and you could describe in detail how the mapper is working, there is a big chance he is implementing that.
but if it's only a matter of taste or just a convenience feature... you know what I’m driving at. ^^

as a programmer you need to do research first and after that the implementation.
and research could easily end up in hours of work of reverse engineering. maybe you have to buy a cartridge or a device.
on the other side, if you have the specs an implementation could be a matter of minutes.

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2017, 03:05 am »
To add to what binkers87 said, there are also text differences in the new version.  You could probably just put the old text over it, but why not expand it with the new text.  Also, if it is anything like the Zelda games, every new version came with a bunch of changes, some of which people may want reverted.

translations look like a lot of work.
i'm not really into it, but last year i have programmed a special image converter for a translation project.
it's for winning eleven for the gamecube, so there might be a full translation of this game, in the future. ^^
Do you have a link to the image converter?  I'd be curious to see it.

luigiblood's 64dd disk dumper, is this still a thing? is there any need for a ed64 version?
Yes it is.  It's up to you.  I don't think that there are any version differences with any 64DD games, so they should all be dumped.  It might help in the hunt for Blue Disks though.

It will take 3-4 more months.  My team has worked on this for a year and a half now.

The game works fine with the normal controller.  Train controller is an option.
Awesome!  I can't wait to see it!
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive64 3.0, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2017, 10:32 am »
Do you have a link to the image converter?  I'd be curious to see it.

here is the thread, but it's on a german board. :>
i don't think the google translator is able to handle all the tech talk correctly. ^^
https://circuit-board.de/forum/index.php/Thread/20600-Kennt-sich-jemand-mit-der-Dekodierung-von-Image-Dateien-aus/?pageNo=1

Offline GBM

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2017, 03:30 pm »
As for Wave Race 64 shindou: I figured it's actually pretty easy replacing the textures in the menus. Unless somebody else is currently working on it or has got the patch previously released I could take care of translating it again.
In any case: How do you guys convert the transferred/edited png files back to a patch that can be applied to a rom? As of now I'm only aware of using texture packs through Glide64. Thanks!

e.g. if you like to have a new mapper for the n8 and you could describe in detail how the mapper is working, there is a big chance he is implementing that.
So assuming you do not prevent krikzz from adding things from your alternative os64: Why has he refused to include features like region-forcing in the menu (not talking about the already implemented forcing for games), that are already present in your OS and were asked for by many users?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 03:37 pm by GBM »

Offline binkers87

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2017, 08:54 pm »
GDM you can just use pypng or just import the binaries in a hex editor. I just have been converting the png back to either ci8 ci16 or c32 format.(there are others too) . I think i8 is a format most images are in for textures. Then I just find where the texture starts and do a copy paste in a hex editor.