Author Topic: [BLACK FRIDAY PURCHASES] TED causes system to freeze, power supply issue?  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Xtrasmiley

• View Profile
OK, here is my situation.

I have a Turbo Ever Drive (TED) 2.5, a Turbografx16 (TG16), a Turbografx16 CD ROM (TGCD) attachment, and a Turbo Express (TE). I don't have any Hu Cards, but I have CDRs of TGCD games.

The TED works great in my TE no problems.
The TED works for about 10-30 min in the TG16 before locking up needing a hard reset.
The TED works for about 1-3 min in the TGCD before locking up and needing a hard reset in either Hu Card or CD ROM games.
The TGCD works fine with no problems with an authentic CD System card (2.0), but sadly I can only test 1-2 games as the rest of my CDRs are CD System 3.0 games.
I don't have any Hu Cards to test at all.

All that being said, any ideas? I know the TED draws more power, so I'm wondering if my CD Dock power supply is not giving enough power, also maybe explaining why the regular TG16 lasts longer before locking up (it has a different power supply). Or do you guys think there is something wrong with the capacitors? I know the Duo has capacitor issues, but I'm told the regular TG16 and TGCD never did. Also, all my power supplies are the OEM ones, but I'm just saying maybe they are old and not working as well as they use too. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 06:15 am by goombakid »

Offline Xtrasmiley

• View Profile
Re: TED causes system to freeze, power supply issue?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 11:51 pm »
OK, so I bought a new power adapter, provides both 9V and 12V up to 3A. At 9V the exact same symptoms occur, at 12V they occur a few seconds faster.

Any other thoughts by anyone? I don't want to do a cap kit, because the other thread I bump on this topic didn't seem to fix the issue.

My next step is I'm getting a Duo in a few weeks I can test. The Duo is getting recapped so I'm hoping that will at least work, but at this point do we think that the TED might be bad?

Offline neotwig

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 04:15 am »
I'm having a similar problem with TED v2.5, 15.03.2016.

Sometimes it freezes in the menu.  Sometimes it freezes mid-game.  Sometimes I get graphical glitches.  It almost always glitches or freezes within the first few minutes of play.

I only have 1 type of SD card so I'm ordering more, but I have 3 TurboGrafx-16 US consoles and 3 TEDs (all brand new, v2.5).  All three TEDs and all three consoles exhibit the same problems.

Interestingly, the TED appears to be stable on my TurboExpress, but not on any of my console systems.

I've tried it hooked up with RF output only.  Tried composite with the TurboBooster Plus.  Tried composite with the CD dock.  All have the same issue.

Tried different power supplies, but the same thing happened.

The TurboBooster Plus and one of my TG16 consoles have been recently recapped with Nichicon capacitors.  Same problem on the recapped units as the stock ones.

Offline Xtrasmiley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 06:41 am »
I'm having a similar problem with TED v2.5, 15.03.2016.

Sometimes it freezes in the menu.  Sometimes it freezes mid-game.  Sometimes I get graphical glitches.  It almost always glitches or freezes within the first few minutes of play.

I only have 1 type of SD card so I'm ordering more, but I have 3 TurboGrafx-16 US consoles and 3 TEDs (all brand new, v2.5).  All three TEDs and all three consoles exhibit the same problems.

Interestingly, the TED appears to be stable on my TurboExpress, but not on any of my console systems.

I've tried it hooked up with RF output only.  Tried composite with the TurboBooster Plus.  Tried composite with the CD dock.  All have the same issue.

Tried different power supplies, but the same thing happened.

The TurboBooster Plus and one of my TG16 consoles have been recently recapped with Nichicon capacitors.  Same problem on the recapped units as the stock ones.

Thank you so much for replying. I think you are saving me the cost of recapping my TG b/c I think there is something wrong with this batch of TEDs. Did you buy them from the Black Friday sale?

I have two other Everdrives and they work flawlessly, this is my first issue with one, and it's my only TED. At this point, it seems like there could be something wrong with the TEDs 2.5 that Krikzz just mailed out.

Did you buy yours from him direct? (I did.)

Krikzz, at this point, can you please chime in and give your thoughts? I can mail back, but if the issue is the 2.5 with TG (vice working fine on a TE or PCE) is getting a replacement a solution or will it have the same problems?

Offline neotwig

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 01:33 pm »
I think there is something wrong with this batch of TEDs. Did you buy them from the Black Friday sale?

I have two other Everdrives and they work flawlessly, this is my first issue with one, and it's my only TED. At this point, it seems like there could be something wrong with the TEDs 2.5 that Krikzz just mailed out.

Did you buy yours from him direct? (I did.)

Krikzz, at this point, can you please chime in and give your thoughts? I can mail back, but if the issue is the 2.5 with TG (vice working fine on a TE or PCE) is getting a replacement a solution or will it have the same problems?

Yes, I bought all three of mine on Black Friday.  I'm thinking the same thing.  I'm just trying everything I can think of before sending them back, and I'm also worried that replacements would have the same issue.

Offline neotwig

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 01:39 pm »
And yes, I got them directly from Krikzz.

Offline neotwig

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 05:08 am »
Same problem with brand new Kingston SD card.  :(

Offline SmokeMonster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 06:31 am »
OK, so I bought a new power adapter, provides both 9V and 12V up to 3A. At 9V the exact same symptoms occur, at 12V they occur a few seconds faster.

Any other thoughts by anyone? I don't want to do a cap kit, because the other thread I bump on this topic didn't seem to fix the issue.

My next step is I'm getting a Duo in a few weeks I can test. The Duo is getting recapped so I'm hoping that will at least work, but at this point do we think that the TED might be bad?
This is just a thought, but the fact that you're getting different results at different voltages is interesting. 9-12V are within spec for the 7805, but I do wonder if your PSU could be part of the issue.  Also, just to confirm: is the PSU tip that you're using center-negative?

Could you test the TG16 using a Genesis Model 1 PSU and report back?

I'm not sure where you read otherwise, but the TG16 and TGCD definitely have major capacitor issues. The stock caps are junk and need to be replaced. Whether or not this could cause your issues though, I don't know though.

Yes, this will definitively confirm if your TED is working since it rules out the PSU, hardware, and capacitors. If I were a betting man, I would guess that it will work, since it worked with your Turbo Express. That to me says that it's likely something to do with the other hardware setup, but again, it's only a guess.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 06:37 am by SmokeMonster »

Offline Xtrasmiley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 08:30 am »
Thanks for the replies Smoke.

Power supply with Genesis same results.

Center is negative, b/c if it wasn't it would blow the system.

The TG uses the Genesis power cable, and same results. The TGCD uses its own, larger connector with more amps, also no go.

Just as an FYI, TG16 and TGCD caps are NOT bad, in fact, you will rarely see anyone ever posting about them being bad. The Turbo Express, and Turbo Duo systems are the ones with really bad caps from the factory and I doubt any stock ones at this point are working.

Neotwig, you are welcome to wait until I get my Duo in about 2-3 weeks so I can tell you if they work, but that's a long time to wait. I think our Black Friday batches of the TEDs are just bad. You should go ahead and contact Krikzz and do the return. I'm going to do the same b/c I think even with the Duo it's bad.

I just wish Krikzz would jump in her with some thoughts.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 07:02 pm »
Did we cover if the TG16 is modified at all? The problems you're describing happens mainly on region modified consoles with TEDs.

Offline Xtrasmiley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 08:18 pm »
Did we cover if the TG16 is modified at all? The problems you're describing happens mainly on region modified consoles with TEDs.

Yes, 100% stock systems all around, not even a video/RGB mod. 100% stock, except for the TurboExpress which had a cap kit, and cap kit only done to it. All 100% stock OEM power/video cords too.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
[BLACK FRIDAY PURCHASES] TED causes system to freeze, power supply issue?
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 06:14 am »
Perhaps it is a bad batch since both of you are exhibiting the same symptoms.

I'm updating the thread title to call in anyone else that might have picked up a TED 2.5 during the Black Friday sale, perhaps they can all chime in if their TEDs are working properly.

Offline neotwig

• View Profile
I have a new theory.  For me, it seems to work as long as I don't have anything connected to the docking connector.  I'm using the same system, with the same power supply, hooked to my TV with RF output and it appears to work (so far).  If I connect the same console to a TurboBooster Plus with the same power supply and still using RF output, I get garbled graphics again.  I've also tried the CD dock with a different power supply.  Same results, so I'm guessing anything connected to the docking connector causes the problem.  Also tested another console to make sure it wasn't my TG16.

Offline Xtrasmiley

• View Profile
I have a new theory.  For me, it seems to work as long as I don't have anything connected to the docking connector.  I'm using the same system, with the same power supply, hooked to my TV with RF output and it appears to work (so far).  If I connect the same console to a TurboBooster Plus with the same power supply and still using RF output, I get garbled graphics again.  I've also tried the CD dock with a different power supply.  Same results, so I'm guessing anything connected to the docking connector causes the problem.  Also tested another console to make sure it wasn't my TG16.

This works for me too, but only up to a point and not with bigger games. For example, Alien Crush works for a few hours no problems (just TG16), but Legendary Axe will lock up by the second stage. I think based on this it's the TED, not our systems. I'll have a better answer when my Duo gets here, but it's still a week or so away...

Offline Xtrasmiley

• View Profile
So... I finally got the Turbo Duo in and for the results... the TED does work for HuCard games, but still doesn't work right when I use the CD Bios...

I have no idea, should I just send it back in at this point?