Author Topic: Saving GBA games?  (Read 259 times)

Offline RaTamaZone

• View Profile
Saving GBA games?
« on: February 11, 2017, 07:36 am »
Pressing the L and R buttons don't seem to bring up the menu like with others in GBA games. Is there no way to be able to save progress?

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
Re: Saving GBA games?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 07:48 am »
Pressing the L and R buttons don't seem to bring up the menu like with others in GBA games. Is there no way to be able to save progress?

Um r u confusing .gba games with lets say Goomba and the like emulators?

Offline RaTamaZone

• View Profile
Thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 08:44 am »
I suppose so. So, is there a method to be able to save your progress on the .gba games?

Offline Deoncy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 01:39 pm »
There are no save states. The emulated games are just that, emulated, and so have emulator features. The GBA games are running natively, so you can only save as you can with the original game.

(I know some Everdrives allow for save states, but as far as I'm concerned this is Magic, and not implemented on the GBA.)

Offline RaTamaZone

• View Profile
Sad
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 08:00 pm »
That's disappointing to hear that there's no way to save any GBA game. Anyway, thanks.

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
Re: Sad
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 01:45 am »
That's disappointing to hear that there's no way to save any GBA game. Anyway, thanks.

Its not disappointing to hear that there's no way to save any GBA game

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 12:38 pm »
"I know some Everdrives allow for save states, but as far as I'm concerned this is Magic, and not implemented on the GBA.)"

It's not magic, but it's also not 'emulation' either... It's apparently making a real time snapshot of whatever is going on in the game, and then saves it to system's ram memory. I don't know how its done but maybe it requires some extra chips on board the everdrive?

It's also apparently volatile as in its only available while the system is running, from what I've read. But it maybe able to save it if you push 'reboot' on the system itself as in the case with the N8? If you push power however, its lost. It's ram save.

There are other flashcart brands that also offer real time save state features, or other tweaks such as slow down, or 10 second rewind, that are not using emulation. But they are also using hardware on the flashcart as well as far as I know. For example the DSTwo + uses its onboard CPU and memory to process all the extra features as far as I know.

However, most if not all GBA flashcarts do not offer 'save states' yet, as far as  I now. You'll be hard pressed to find one that has an RTC built in, as much compatibility as the X5 has, or the amount of memory onboard for loading up larger roms, or even use microSDs allowing for huge library on the flashcart at once.

The only features that some of the older flashcarts have over the new ones is NOR memory that allowed a single game to be copied to the NOR, and then would load up on a regular GBA without having to go through the menus. Only reason this was useful is for a few games that had cross-link features with DS games, that would unlock features in the DS games. Only if it was detecting a 'header' of the game.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5842.0
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:50 pm by Galron »

Offline Deoncy

• View Profile
Re: Sad
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 11:44 pm »

Given how this is worded, I'm not entirely sure if you understood what I meant (i.e. whether it's "there's no way to save any game" or "there's no way to save any game"). GBA games with save functionality will work just fine as on the original cart, you just can't make arbitrary save states.

It's not magic, but it's also not 'emulation' either... It's apparently making a real time snapshot of whatever is going on in the game, and then saves it to system's ram memory. I don't know how its done but maybe it requires some extra chips on board the everdrive?

It's also apparently volatile as in its only available while the system is running, from what I've read. But it maybe able to save it if you push 'reboot' on the system itself as in the case with the N8? If you push power however, its lost. It's ram save.

There are other flashcart brands that also offer real time save state features, or other tweaks such as slow down, or 10 second rewind, that are not using emulation. But they are also using hardware on the flashcart as well as far as I know. For example the DSTwo + uses its onboard CPU and memory to process all the extra features as far as I know.
I wasn't saying that save states absolutely require emulation, I was just explaining why there was a difference here. If a system allows you to access all the information you need, and provides a way to return all the components to their desired state then I sort of understand how it would work; I suspect some of the more complex aspect is adding your parasitic code to hang off the back of the game to allow you to save, but the closest I've come to GBA development is a GBA ROM dumper for the DS, which was trivial, so I'm probably talking nonsense.