Author Topic: JVC X'Eye compatibility with Master EverDrive?  (Read 1288 times)

Offline rolf

• View Profile
JVC X'Eye compatibility with Master EverDrive?
« on: February 15, 2017, 01:35 PM »
Hi!

First post and first questions:

Does will work the Master EverDrive on the JVC X'Eye with any power base adaptor (standard or mini)?

Any known issues?

I read that power base fm will not work attached on the JVC X'Eye, but no documentation on the standard power bases  ;)

Thanks!

Offline haightc

• View Profile
Re: JVC X'Eye compatibility with Master EverDrive?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 10:08 PM »
Unfortunately, you are stuck.   I was looking forward to playing SMS games on my x'eye.    It makes me wonder what's missing and how the wondermega original and M2 fair.   
I almost went for a wondermega, I would be PO'ed I spent all that money for both and not have them work

Offline rolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 06:33 PM »
Ouch... If you tested it and it doesn't work at the JVC X'Eye... bad news..!!  :(

I have tested a Master System to Megadrive/Genesis converter adaptor on the JVC X'Eye with some Master System games, and it really works well.

Did you test this with an original Master System?

Thanks for your response :)

Offline FeverDrive

• GOTTA GO FAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 02:50 AM »
I have tested a Master System to Megadrive/Genesis converter adaptor on the JVC X'Eye with some Master System games, and it really works well.
Which converter did you use?
Previously known as DC/AC

Offline rolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 11:09 AM »
Hi!

I use the cheapest SMS-to-MD adapter that I found at Europe:

Retroline MS/MD converter (~30€)
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0192KQ7N2/

Works quite well (despite the bad reviews at French). It doesn't carry the PAUSE button, but you just can buy a "temporary switch" button on any electronic shop and drill the case. Because the PCB has the four holes for the button internally. I have pics from the mod if you need.

This is the button I soldered. Get the taller as you can about 12mm from the base:

Tactile Switch Buttons (6mm tall) (~0.25€/u)
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1490

I emailed Raphnet asking for his PCB with enclosure and PAUSE button... but never get a response. Maybe forgot to check the email  :-[

Offline FeverDrive

• GOTTA GO FAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 05:12 AM »
Thanks for the info!!

I emailed Raphnet asking for his PCB with enclosure and PAUSE button... but never get a response. Maybe forgot to check the email  :-[
I bet Raphnet is very busy and gets loads of email every day, I sent him an email years ago and got a reply like one month later :P
Previously known as DC/AC

Offline haightc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 03:27 AM »
Actually I just asked Renee (the creator of the PowerBase FM) and he said, while he doesn't have a x'eye to test, one who purchased one said it does work fine.    I am not sure why SAG page says it doesn't, there is a review saying it's fine.   As is with the MegaEverdrive X7 I just get a blank screen, suggesting the everdrive isn't switching correctly in to SMS mode.   

I couldn't find a mapper option as some of the forums suggest, I am not sure who you force the everdrive to perform as such.   On the everdrive N8 you can select to change the mapper, but I've been all over the X7 options and manual.

So next I am going to try and mode a cheap genesis to MD pass thought adapter I have.    It's not really necessary with the X'eye based on Renee's wiki
http://db-electronics.ca/wiki/wikis/consoles/sega-genesis/

There is an SMS power thread that suggest that the X'eye needs modification to use the Master Everdrive.   However I can't find any threads to say exactly what that is.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 02:45 AM by haightc »

Offline rolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 01:26 PM »
Actually I just asked Renee (the creator of the PowerBase FM) and he said, while he doesn't have a x'eye to test, one who purchased one said it does work fine.    I am not sure why SAG page says it doesn't, there is a review saying it's fine.

Woah! This is a great notice!

But if anyone test this with the Master Everdrive at the JVC X'Eye / Wondermega.

As seen on the other thread OS v7/v8 incompatible with PowerBase FM and Multi-Mega maybe will have issues..

As is with the MegaEverdrive X7 I just get a blank screen, suggesting the everdrive isn't switching correctly in to SMS mode.    In theory, changing the mapper in the options menu should work in the X7.     I need to play a little bit with it a little more to see what works and what does not.

Maybe Krikzz would do a mapper for our JVC X'Eye / Wondermega at the next MegaEverdrive X7 update :)

Thanks for the info!!

Nope :)

Offline Lum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 04:32 AM »
I'm not sure if there's been much research into the nature of the problem with X'Eye changing over to SMS mode after boot.
Is the ability to switch mode an unintentional loophole Sega closed via hardware redesign, or did they have plans for such a feature at some point?

Offline haightc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 07:03 PM »
Based it from what I read, it doesn't seem like resetting into sms mode was originally an intended function.    It looks like you can hard wire the reset like in to re-enable SMS mode with the MegaEverdrive.    It looks like the Master Everdrive should work with the x'eye with a converter.     I haven't tried it to see, but it from what I read it's a matter of being wire correctly.   I ended up picking a Japanese master system, which is what my master everdrive is hanging out it in.    If you want FM + 3d on the x'eye you would need to modify a power-base converter physically then add an FM chip, a lot of work.     It would have been nice to save the shelf space, but overall I am pretty happy with my investment.

Offline Lum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 01:20 AM »
I believe x'eye has native support for converters. First party European Master System Converter II would plug right in, no wiring or modding necessary.
Of course without FM and 3D.