Author Topic: SD2SNES + 50/60 Hz modded PAL console  (Read 934 times)

Offline jcoelho

• View Profile
SD2SNES + 50/60 Hz modded PAL console
« on: February 16, 2017, 06:44 AM »
Hi everyone!

I just got a PAL SNES and I'm thinking about modding it, so I can play games at 60Hz (as we all should). My question is: Will the SD2SNES be able top detect that the console can run at 60 Hz or will it run the games at 50 Hz because it detects a PAL console?

Sorry if it's a silly question, I searched through the forum but couldn't find any clear answer.

Thanks!

Offline Sunray

• View Profile
Re: SD2SNES + 50/60 Hz modded PAL console
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 11:47 AM »
I would recommend getting a Super Famicom console instead of modding your PAL unit. And you shouldn't never run PAL games in 60 Hz, so make sure to use NTSC roms.

Offline jcoelho

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 12:44 PM »
I would recommend getting a Super Famicom console instead of modding your PAL unit. And you shouldn't never run PAL games in 60 Hz, so make sure to use NTSC roms.

Oh, that's an interesting approach. Any idea on where to get a SFC in good shape besides ebay? And why do you think I shouldn't run PAL games @60 Hz? I've heard that they work fine.

Offline Sunray

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 01:31 PM »
Oh, that's an interesting approach. Any idea on where to get a SFC in good shape besides ebay?
Check local Facebook groups related to retro games.

And why do you think I shouldn't run PAL games @60 Hz? I've heard that they work fine.
Many good games are actually modified for PAL and will run too fast or glitchy in 60 Hz. For example Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Mario Kart.

Offline Makinx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 04:41 PM »
I don't see why he shouldn't mod his console, other than perhaps the chance of destroying the console through incompetence. It's a 50 cent mod compared to something between 50-100 dollars/euros for a Super Famicom off of Ebay.

To answer the TC's question: SD2SNES will run the games at 60hz if your PAL SNES is modded as such.

Offline strawy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 01:28 PM »
I have pal SNES with a superCIC chip installed.
You just have to enable the setting on the SD2SNES to say that you have it installed.
When you select an NTSC game it was automatically switch to 60hz mode, same with pal and 50hz.
No issues with any compatibility so far.

Online dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 11:41 PM »
SuperCIC is the Ferrari. It of course is the best though. But if he is talking about a switch mod, it will run the games on the speed you switch to. Only in SuperCIC case the cart has a way to switch around from software, otherwise it's in your hands to choose the speed.