Author Topic: Super Game Boy 2 issues  (Read 217 times)

Offline MyOhMyke

• View Profile
Super Game Boy 2 issues
« on: February 16, 2017, 10:30 pm »
It took a little bit of doing, but I -did- actually get my EDGB working on my Super Game Boy 2.  I looked around the forums and tried cleaning the connectors as was suggested and that worked great! For exactly one boot up.  Then I kept getting either an immediate Red-X Cartridge w/ Garbled "NINTENDO(TM)" text -or- it'll do the Super Game Boy 2 bootup before giving the "no cart loaded" icon.  So I cleaned it again and it worked! ...for one boot up.

I don't know why I have to clean the dang thing every time I power off, but that's what I have to do.  If I put it in my Super Game Boy 1 it works just fine, even before I tried cleaning anything to begin with.  And I'd think it was the way I'm seating the cartridge, but it boots up first try every time I clean it, once, and then no amount of fiddling makes it work until I clean it again.

I'm cleaning both the Game Boy-SGB2 connector as well as the SGB2-SNES connectors each time...I'm not sure what's going on.  It's a pain, but if I gotta do it this way I gotta do it this way, but I'm wondering if I'm covering up a bigger issue and one-day-after-return-period (because that's how it always works) I'm gonna be outta luck because it's been over-cleaned and something broke or something like that.  Any advice?

Offline MyOhMyke

• View Profile
Re: Super Game Boy 2 issues
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 09:53 pm »
When I was cleaning it today to get it to play I noticed that what I thought was a natural 'split' in the case (where two parts connect) on the back side is actually an unintended crack, with another crack on the side of the back case.  The crack runs right along the middle of the back and intersects where the screw on the back is, and imagine this is a source of the frustrations I'm having.

When I'm cleaning it, I'm guessing it's either reseating everything the case properly or the rubbing alcohol is helping conductivity somehow (again, just spitballin'), and that's why it works.  This morning, though, it simply froze in the middle of gameplay and upon reset returned to the 'no cartidge inserted' error message on the Super Game Boy 2.  It looks like I might be looking at a return.