Author Topic: Megadrive MD problems  (Read 420 times)

Offline shenmuethree

• View Profile
Megadrive MD problems
« on: September 17, 2017, 02:17 PM »
Hello, can't find the answers I'm looking for anywhere so I am asking the question myself, not sure if anyone can help me out with this,

Bought a pal mega drive, with megadrive md, all works fine, however I wanted to get 60hz & get rid of the borders on games,

So to do this I have bought a japanese megadrive, thinking I could just use the megadrive md with this, & load it with japanese roms, ridding the games of the borders and playing in 60hz

megadrive md seems to work with the japanese megadrive, however...

The japanese roms seem to either crash at the first screen of the game, or they just seem to be running in pal mode (50hz/with borders)

on the megadrive md menu's when using it with the japanese megadrive, going to toolbox - device info, the console region is coming up as eu pal, going to spi speed test i am getting timer calibration.. 50hz

Have I maybe bought a pal console in the japanese megadrive casing somehow? Or is it actually something I need to change on the megadrive md cartridge? I have already tried updating the os which doesn't seem to have done anything,

or do i need a new megadrive md cartridge entirely to use with the japanese megadrive console? Or maybe what I am trying to achieve I am just doing it all the wrong way?

Any help with this would be much appreciated,

Thanks in advance!

Offline AW87

• View Profile
Re: Megadrive MD problems
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 10:08 PM »
My tip is to send one of your two Mega-Drives to a Retro- or Game-shop that offers something like the Switchless-Mod. Then they should make the modding for you. With such a mod, the Resetbutton can be used to switch between Europe/Japan/USA mode (including 50Hz or 60Hz) and its also possible to just switch between 50Hz or 60Hz and leaving the country-modus like it is. this offers alot of possibilities and then ALL Mega-Drive Game-Roms can be played like the should, no matter if its a Japan-Version, European PAL-Version or US-Version of the rom.

And it also don`t matters, in which of your two Mega-Drive you built the mod. I have here a european PAL-Mega-Drive console and works perfect with the switchless-mod. Most of the time, the console now runs in NTSC-mode, but sometimes i also play in PAL. In combination with a SD-Card-Module like the Everdrive-MD or the Mega-Everdrive, such a modding is perfect. Same on the other consoles, like Master-System, NES or Super-NES.