Author Topic: Weird Problem with Everdrive GG  (Read 4793 times)

Offline wolfpacleader1986

• View Profile
Weird Problem with Everdrive GG
« on: August 31, 2013, 07:19 PM »
I did a video review of it and I notice that a lot of times when I turn on the Game Gear with the Everdrive in it, it gives me a black screen. However, if I hold Up+1 when I turn it on, it comes on almost every time. It came with v4 and updated it to v5 and BOTH times I had that issue.

Is that a weird design flaw or just something that's there? I have an original Sega Game Gear(non-Majesco) and I used the shell from one of the Majesco titles and it went in without a hitch. The ONLY work the Game Gear had on it was replacing the sound and video caps. I want to know this way I can make an update.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
Re: Weird Problem with Everdrive GG
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 12:05 AM »
my everdrive GG boots up first time everytime also my console is fully re-capped, it is strange but you said alot of times it gives you a black screen, so just by you saying that, it just may be your setup thats faulty (pin connector perhaps needs a good clean) and not a design flaw in the everdrive.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:08 AM by dvd2vcd »
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X3 - TED v2.4 - EDGB - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - MASTERED - REVO K101 GBA

Offline gtsamour

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 10:49 AM »
Had the exact same issue, unfortunately when I sent it back for testing it got lost in the post so i never had the chance to test another one... My GG also had ALL caps replaced with new ones and it was the two ASIC game gear. All pins were crystal clean.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:52 AM by gtsamour »

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 11:55 AM »
strange indeed mine works perfect.
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X3 - TED v2.4 - EDGB - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - MASTERED - REVO K101 GBA

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 07:07 PM »
it must be the everdrive gg,just got from yesterday my gg and everdrive,tested with 1 original game,startup game gear and imediately get sega logo on screen.
with the everdrive turn on,black screen,turn off back on,init os.
so it must be the everdrive or maybe little bug or something in os.
but not gonna let my sleep off it,it works for the rest fine.by the way,the result with battery or power adaptor are the same.
its all new capacitors and led mod,so that cant be the problem.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 07:46 AM »
It seems like game gear turn on short circuit protection, probably everdrive draw too much in impulse during cold start. It happens with some gamegears and no any problems with other, maybe depends from console board revision

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 10:13 AM »
yep krikzz,that shall it be.
i really don't now what it could be,cleaned the contacts of the everdrive.
if i switch on and off,back on,after that its works everytime.
strange gg i must say,but the owner did all the new capacitors.
picture is clear and sound is loud,so you can see and hear there new.
my other gg are really bad in comparision with this one.
i played many games with the everdrive,and everdrive working perfekt,only cold boot start is an issue.
but for me this is not a problem krikzz,i have much fun with it.
by the way,forgot it to say,gg everdrive version is 1.2 using latest os.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:47 PM by fille1976 »

Offline goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 07:40 PM »
I have the exact same issue, FWIW, but on the second power cycle it works every time. My Game Gear was recapped several years ago; I don't know the board revision.
Have: EverDrive 64, EverDrive N8 (Famicom), Turbo EverDrive, EverDrive MD, Super EverDrive, EverDrive-GB, EverDrive-GG, Master EverDrive, EverDrive-GBA X5

Other flashcarts & multicarts: Harmony (Atari 2600), Cuttle Cart 3 (Intellivision), 233-in-1 (Odyssey^2), 72-in-1 (Vectrex)

Offline XDUR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 11:10 PM »
It seems like game gear turn on short circuit protection, probably everdrive draw too much in impulse during cold start. It happens with some gamegears and no any problems with other, maybe depends from console board revision

Hi KRIKzz,

I have this same problem with 3 of my 4 Game Gears. The one Game Gear where the Everdrive always starts correctly is the one that shows the bootup message "PRODUCTED BY OR UNDER LICENSE FROM SEGA ENTERPRISES LTD.", my other Game Gears don't have a bootup message and go straight to the SEGA logo.
I hope this can help you fix the problem and release a new firmware.

Can the others that have this same problem also confirm that they have this bootup message or not?

Offline eding1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 01:35 AM »

Hi KRIKzz,

I have this same problem with 3 of my 4 Game Gears. The one Game Gear where the Everdrive always starts correctly is the one that shows the bootup message "PRODUCTED BY OR UNDER LICENSE FROM SEGA ENTERPRISES LTD.", my other Game Gears don't have a bootup message and go straight to the SEGA logo.
I hope this can help you fix the problem and release a new firmware.

Can the others that have this same problem also confirm that they have this bootup message or not?

Same problem here. I have 4 Game Gears. 2 of them start with "PRODUCED BY OR UNDER LICENSE FROM SEGA ENTERPRISES LTD.", and the Everdrive GG boots everytime.

The 2 Game Gears without that message (which I presume are early VA0 models) fail to boot the Everdrive GG very often.
In cold start I usually need 2 or 3 boots for the Everdrive to work properly, and If I reboot the GG when I've been succesfuly playing with the Everdrive, I need to wait for about 5-10 seconds, or the Everdrive will never boot.

I've tried to change the power board from a working GG into the problematic ones, but same problem. This issue is not related to the power board, but the main GG board.

One of my VA0 GG model is LCD Modded (McWilll), and it's very frustrating not being able to enjoy its beautiful screen... :(

KRIKzz, could you send us a new firmware to correct this issue in the first Game Gears?
I can be your betatester for this issue, if you want. I've noticed that If I push the GG power button very quickly, the false starts are minimized greatly, so it could be a timing issue. One of the first things I would try would be delaying the Everdrive Boot cycle for this test firmware, if you can.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:38 AM by eding1 »

Offline FeverDrive

• GOTTA GO FAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 07:32 AM »
Could this issue be fixed soldering a capacitor in a strategic place in the GG motherboard?
Previously known as DC/AC

Offline t0bs7ar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 02:20 PM »
*bump*

Same issue! Game Gear with McWill Mod, recapped. Not showing "Sega Property" notification. 

Thought i would be the only one with this problem.

Offline metoo3

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 11:53 AM »
Same issue here. Just tried on my new recapped, McWill Mod Game Gear.
Cold start cycle almost never works.

Everdrive OS is latest v8, just purchased in MAR2017.

I'm fine with it since it's a very minor issue. However if the GG boots into short circuit protection I'm concerned it may damage the GG in the long run...

Offline metoo3

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 11:53 AM »
Just to follow up my previous post:

Once I use fully charged eneloop AA batteries, the Game Gear starts up on almost every cold start.
Once they are in use for a while, cold start doesn't work anymore and I need to swtich on/off twice.