Author Topic: Everdrive 64 Compatibility  (Read 158804 times)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Everdrive 64 Compatibility
« on: October 06, 2012, 01:52 PM »
Hello!
Here's the list of games that does not work to 100% on the ED64 with the latest OS version and a 6102/7101 CIC.

Incompatibility list:

BattleTanx (works like normal again with the latest OS)
This game used to work in OS 1.29 but it no longer boots on later OS. Doesn't seem to affect all users though. A trained rom is reported to still boot ("BattleTanx (U) [t1].z64" from the goodset).

Star Wars Episode I - Racer (unclear - possible that a bad rom was used)
Some have no problems at all with this game but others have reported that saved data corrupts while playing. After a few races (3rd race from 2nd Championship), vehicle upgrades and money are lost. The game still save your racing progression but you are stuck without money.
The "Star Wars Episode I - Racer (U) [f1] (Save).z64" rom in the goodset is reported to have a fix for this problem.
Special instructions by cheaterdragon1:
When using the Star Wars patch for the first time you need initialize your save game. For NTSC users you need to press and hold Z+Start during the Crazy Nation intro otherwise the game will crash. The PAL patch was done by someone else and for that one you just need check off "CLEAR EEPROM" then hit Start at the intro. This is only done for first time use, if you make a save file on your Everdrive after doing this then you won't have to do it again.

When using either patch you can only use the first and second save files. This has something to do with the game being EEP16K instead of what was the usual EEP4K at the time. Back then you would need a boot cart with the same save-type and they did this so someone could just use an EEP4K game. This patch was clearly made for back-up units and not the Everdrive, I'm sure if someone re-did the patch today they would have no trouble getting all save files working.

The instructions for the patch also say not to use your save file from the normal version with the patched version. I haven't verified if this matters though.

Banjo Tooie (Should work with Ultra CIC II)
Incompatible because of lockout chip anti-piracy protection but works with crack. This crack is automatically patched to the rom on-the-fly with the latest OS. The crack can also be downloaded separately at http://www.64scener.com/. Look for the "dx-btusc.zip" or the ups version "dx-btusc.ups". The crack requires the Expansion pak even though it's never mentioned in the readme. And it only works for the USA version of the game. There is no patch for Japanese and PAL users.
Note: The Ultra CIC II successfully emulates Rare's anti-piracy protection CIC, so if your Everdrive 64 has an Ultra CIC II installed, this game should work properly. Japanese and PAL version should work as well in that case, and there's also no need for a patch. You can safely delete Banjo Tooie from the auto-patching list in your Everdrive 64 in that case to prevent the patch from being applied anyway.

Jet Force Gemini (Should work with Ultra CIC II)
Incompatible because of lockout chip anti-piracy protection but works with crack. May seem playable without crack but piracy protection crashes the game randomly and prevents running and shooting. "Jet Force Gemini (E) (M4) [f1].z64" and "Jet Force Gemini (U) [f1].z64" from the goodset are reported to have this crack pre-patched. No known patch for the Japanese version.
Note: The Ultra CIC II successfully emulates Rare's anti-piracy protection CIC, so if your Everdrive 64 has an Ultra CIC II installed, this game should work properly. Japanese version should work as well in that case, and there's no need for any patches.

Donkey Kong 64 (Should work with Ultra CIC II)
Rare's piracy protection CIC erases the save file after a random hours of play on flashcarts like the Everdrive 64. Older versions of the Everdrive 64 OS may also have problem handling 16kB EEPROM saving properly. Later OS versions have better EEPROM saving handling, but the anti-piracy CIC still deletes the save file. There is a hack that changes the game to use SRAM saving to get around the saving problem. "Donkey Kong 64 (E) [f1] (Boot&Save).z64" and "Donkey Kong 64 (U) [f2].z64" from the goodset are reported to have the SRAM hack pre-patched (the boot hack is not actually needed on ED64 but the save hack is, the boot hack is for older backup devices). It's required to force SRAM on the game before loading the rom with this SRAM hack.
Note: The Ultra CIC II successfully emulates Rare's anti-piracy protection CIC, so if your Everdrive 64 has an Ultra CIC II installed, this game should work properly. Japanese version should work as well in that case, and there's no need for any patches.

Dezaemon 3D (This game should fully work with the latest OS)
Playable but saving may not work because it uses non-standard save file size, SRAM 768Kbit (96Kbyte). Can be fixed in a future OS update.

Pokemon Stadium Kin Gin / Pokémon Stadium 2 (should work on Everdrive 64 v3)
Although this game appears to work, the game will eventually run into problems due to the save file overwriting parts of the rom.
ED64 is actually using the last part of rom memory for save data. So if a game is using SRAM save type the total rom memory will be 64MB minus 32kB and if it's using FLASHRAM save type, only 64MB minus 128kB rom memory is available. The whole 64MB rom memory is only available for games that's using EEPROM save type because the save data is stored in the internal memory of the ED64 FPGA when using EEPROM. This seems to be the only 64MB game that suffers from this because Resident Evil 2 and Conker's Bad Fur Day doesn't use enough of the 64MB rom memory for a conflict to happen. Because this is a hardware related problem it can not easily be fixed in an OS update (technically it could be fixed by making a special mapper for it since there are apparently enough space in the rom).
Note: The Everdrive 64 v3 has true 64MB rom memory no matter what save type is used since it has separate ram for save data. Which means that this game should work on v3.

Doubutsu no Mori (should work on Everdrive 64 v3)
Because it uses an internal real time clock not present in the ED64. Playable but seems to hang when saving.
Note: The Everdrive 64 v3 has an RTC module, so this game should work on v3.

Mario no Photopi
Playable but since the original cartridge has two SmartMedia card slots which ED64 doesn't have, most of the features of this "game" is unsupported.

Others
Any other roms that has special hardware like the Capture Cartridge or the Randnet modem (if they even have roms), also would not work as intended on ED64.

Compatible Games:

Cartridge
All cartridges not in the incompatibility list should work as far as I can tell, which makes the Everdrive 64 have an impressive compatibility of around 99%! If any more problematic games are discovered, please post in this thread and I will add it to the list. Games that requires or optionally uses specific external hardware like: Controller Pak, Rumble Pak, Expansion Pak, Transfer Pak, VRU or other accessories will work with them just like the real cartridges.

64DD
Now when 64DD disks have been dumped, they have also been patched to work on flashcarts to a certain extent. This now also includes Everdrive 64 (from v2 and up at least)! They all require the Expansion Pak just like a real 64DD. Saving requires resetting the N64 and letting the ED64 OS load before turning off, even on Everdrive 64 V3.
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=2978.0

Aleck64
Aleck64 is a series of arcade systems based on the Nintendo 64 hardware. Since the games are so similar to N64 games they have all been patched to work on Nintendo 64 systems, and be played with N64 controllers. They are now compatible with Everdrive 64 with the latest OS!
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=2609.0

About hacks
If a hacked version of a rom that normally work doesn't work (like all those Super Mario 64 hacks) it's usually because the hacker didn't care about the limitations of the N64, but only cared that it worked in an emulator. Such hacks are broken roms and most likely wouldn't work on any existing devcart or copier. The Everdrive 64 can't do anything about this, it must be fixed by the hacker.

About UltraCIC II
Using the UltraCIC the ED64 finally becomes 100% region free. There's a patch for it called UltraCIC II that makes CIC 6105 games (Jet Fore Gemini, Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo Tooie) fully compatible with ED64 without patches (so Japanese and PAL versions should work too).
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3450.0

Update 1: Banjo Tooie now has a crack!
Update 2: Added Mario no Photopi.
Update 3: Added Dezaemon 3D but I leave it as "unconfirmed" until I'm 100% sure saving doesn't work.
Update 4: Apparently Donkey Kong 64 never needed a crack for it to boot. It only needs a hack for saving. I changed the list to reflect this new information.
Update 5: Added Pokemon Stadium Kin Gin and BattleTanx.
Update 6: Added Starwars Episode 1 - Racer.
Update 7: Updated list with latest info.
Update 8: Added 64DD and Aleck 64 compatibility info. Dezaemon 3D seems to work now, so I stroke it from the incompatibility list. It's still there for historical reasons and for v1 users I guess.
Update 9: Updated list to match latest OS (v2.11) and added info about UltraCIC II.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:40 PM by nuu »

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive 64 Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 11:52 PM »
iv never had problems with DK64 and banjo tooie i play those beauties with my neo myth cart with an original jet force gemini for a boot cart ;) as for that japanese animal crossing game....meh its jap no biggie
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 01:18 AM »
I forgot to mention that I don't have an Everdrive 64 yet so I wanted to ask if this information is correct. Also my question is about Dezaemon 64. Has anyone saved successfully with that game on an Everdrive 64?

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 02:20 AM »
your info is spot on, i have the best of both worlds tho, i have both ED64 and NEO MYTH carts :) i dont know about Dezaemon 64 because i cant stand playing jap games.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 10:08 AM »
your info is spot on, i have the best of both worlds tho, i have both ED64 and NEO MYTH carts :)
Thanks. But if you have a Neo Myth 64 why would you need an Everdrive? Doesn't it have 100% compatibility minus Doubutsu no Mori already? If you have a few carts with the correct CIC chips to put in the back of it that is.
Hmm after researching some more the Neo Myth can only have like one or two roms at the same time.

i dont know about Dezaemon 64 because i cant stand playing jap games.
Oh really? I want to play Japanese games though. Drive64 can apparently save in Dezaemon 3D so I hope Everdrive 64 can do that too.

Offline INFILTRAT

• Beam Me Up ED64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 07:33 PM »
On my side i have loaded Quake1 rom and ED64 did not seem to load it. All i got was a black screen and i had to reset que N64.

Maybe it is the rom ? The rom name is: Quake 64 (U) [!].z64

Anyone here knows if its the rom itself ?

The rom came from this pack i downloaded about 2 years ago: Nintendo 64 Collection 308 Roms Vol 1 of 3 H33T 1981CamaroZ28
                                                                                                    Nintendo 64 Collection 308 Roms Vol 2 of 3 H33T 1981CamaroZ28
                                                                                                    Nintendo 64 Collection 308 Roms Vol 3 of 3 H33T 1981CamaroZ28

Any inputs ?
Beam Me Up

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 10:27 PM »
i don't see why quake wouldn't work for you. i just tried out quake 64 for you on my setup and it works fine. are you playing on a pal setup by any chance? if not i would just get another rom you probs got a dodgy quake 64 rom thats all :)

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 01:22 PM »
@nuu i bought my myth a while back before i knew about ED i bought ED because of the faster loading speeds, kept my myth cart because it can play banjo tooie and the ED cannot

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 01:24 PM »
@INFILTRAT have u tried different region rom? also make sure its from a goodset :)

Offline INFILTRAT

• Beam Me Up ED64
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 01:25 AM »
Ok so yesterday i loaded the rom and it works fine now, maybe just some random glitch.
:)
Beam Me Up

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 11:42 PM »
OK so I tried out Dezaemon 64 and played the one of the sample games for a bit, died and entered my name in the high-score. Then I pressed reset and loaded the game again and my name was not in the sample game's high-score list.  :(

I'm not sure the high-score is supposed to save though. Next I have to try make a game and see if that saves.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 08:27 PM »
I tried making a game in Dezaemon 3D (I just changed the font then saved) and then I hit reset and booted the game again. It didn't save. I tried forcing all the different kinds of save types but none worked. Then I tried the same thing in Project 64 and it didn't work there either. I'm not 100% sure I did something wrong.

I added Mario no Photopi to the incompatibility list.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 04:31 PM by nuu »

Offline suiken_2mieu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 05:30 PM »
Has anyone got animal forest working yet? When I try to get past the start screen, it freezes. I'm more interested now because I have an english patch working.
Flash Carts: - Everdrive GB - Super Everdrive - Everdrive 64v2 - R4 DS -  Easy Flash IV -
Good Flash Carts that need to be made:
NeoGeo Pocket

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 11:06 PM »
Has anyone got animal forest working yet? When I try to get past the start screen, it freezes. I'm more interested now because I have an english patch working.
it will never work, ED64 doesnt contain a battery which is needed for the real time clock

Offline Doom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 12:11 AM »
Dumb question incoming;
Is it possible to solder on this "battery" onto the ED64 to make those games work, sort of like the CIC chip & USB port or is this a whole other story?