Author Topic: Do save states work with the Super NT?  (Read 4934 times)

Offline Fuzzy_Dunlop

• View Profile
Do save states work with the Super NT?
« on: April 02, 2019, 05:33 PM »
Do save states work with the Super NT? In interviews leading up to the release of the SD2SNES pro it seemed to indicate they would not, however I haven't been able to find any more information since release.

Offline Jurai

• View Profile
Re: Do save states work with the Super NT?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 12:12 AM »
There is no official firmware with save state support atm, there is a version of save states in an older OG SD2SNES firmware that works but doesn't capture the state of the APU so you can have issues if the game was relying on data going through there for certain things. They've said they may re-implement the APU on the SD2SNES Pro, allowing it to overtake the SNES and thus capture the state of the APU for a full save state save/load, not sure the OG cart will be strong enough. Also Kevtris has said that the SuperNT will always win over the SD2SNES in that scenario, so it will not work on that system.

Offline WaveRacer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 10:49 AM »
Save states definitely work on the Super NT if you're using the correct firmware on your SD2SNES. In fact I saved the state of Zelda III on my Super NT and was then able to successfully load it on my Super Famicom Jr and carry on playing.

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 10:33 PM »
Save states definitely work on the Super NT if you're using the correct firmware on your SD2SNES. In fact I saved the state of Zelda III on my Super NT and was then able to successfully load it on my Super Famicom Jr and carry on playing.
Try this: save a state in Street Fighter II--maybe save halfway through the third battle or something--and load that on your SFC Jr.

(Methinks you are confusing SRAM saves with save states.)

Offline Jurai

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 10:53 PM »
The non-APU saving save states work on a SuperNT, if/when they implement an official version that saves the APU, that wont' work on the SNT per kevtris

Offline WaveRacer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 10:55 PM »
Try this: save a state in Street Fighter II--maybe save halfway through the third battle or something--and load that on your SFC Jr.

(Methinks you are confusing SRAM saves with save states.)

No, it was a save state using the FURiOUS firmware. Sure they aren’t perfect, MegaMan X always crashes to a black screen if I restore a save state and beat a level, but I’ve had plenty of success with many games. I’ve not tried any of the SFII games though as I’m rubbish at them! :D