Author Topic: Proper use of mode function on X7  (Read 1683 times)

Offline bwall08

• View Profile
Proper use of mode function on X7
« on: June 11, 2019, 08:48 PM »
I have a Mega Everdrive X7, a Super Retrotrio and 3rd party 6 button controller.  I've had my X7 for a couple of weeks now and so far most of my Roms seem to be working without any issues.  However, I've had problems with 3 specific games Golden Axe 2, Golden Axe 3 and Decap Attack. 

I'm almost sure this is related to the 3 vs 6 button / mode function but I'm not sure when I need to hold mode.  Is it when I'm powering on the Retrotrio?  When I select / start the Rom?  I'm pretty sure I've tried both methods correctly yet the controls for these 3 games (and I'm sure other older games) aren't working correctly. 

Is the problem with my use of the mode function?  The fact I'm using a clone system?  3rd party control?  Or is it some combination of my setup and I'm out of luck?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Assman

• View Profile
Re: Proper use of mode function on X7
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 05:14 AM »
I don't know enough about the Retro Trio to be able to help on that end, but traditionally, to switch a 6-button controller into 3-button mode, you either hold down 'mode' as you turn on the console, which you've supposedly tried, or you run the game, unplug the controller, and hold 'mode' as you plug it back in.

Golden Axe 2 is indeed one of the games that requires a 3-button to work properly, but GA3 and Decap Attack shouldn't have those problems. What kind of controller is it?

Offline bwall08

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 04:05 PM »
I don't know enough about the Retro Trio to be able to help on that end, but traditionally, to switch a 6-button controller into 3-button mode, you either hold down 'mode' as you turn on the console, which you've supposedly tried, or you run the game, unplug the controller, and hold 'mode' as you plug it back in.

Golden Axe 2 is indeed one of the games that requires a 3-button to work properly, but GA3 and Decap Attack shouldn't have those problems. What kind of controller is it?

I haven't tried the plug in after running the game method.  FWIW, this is my controller.

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 04:48 PM »
With original 6 button controller you need to hold mode during power on make it operate like a 3 button controller.

It is probably the same for any other 6 button controller. You can test loading any game that reports visually the type of the controller connected, Street Fighter 2 Special Champion Edition is a good example. Boot the game after powering on while hilding mode and the game should detect it as an 3 button controller.