Author Topic: Graphical Glitches/freezing with new N8 & Analogue NT  (Read 97061 times)

Offline BTails

• View Profile
Graphical Glitches/freezing with new N8 & Analogue NT
« on: April 02, 2016, 07:20 AM »
Hey there! I just received my Analogue NT 2 days ago, and my Everdrive N8 (Famicom shell) today. Great timing! But I'm having a lot of issues with the Everdrive. It boots fine, but many games have graphical glitches: usually shaking status bars or other elements. One extreme example is that Super Mario 3 has half of the screen garbled!

I tested a bunch of my NES carts, and they all seem to work fine (Including a real US SMB3 cart). Other games seem to work fine, such as Castlevania 3 Japanese, and the expansion music sounds amazing. However it just froze after I played for about 15 minutes (Got to the boss of stage 3).

The only game that I haven't been able to get running in even a glitches form is Lagrange Point, which crashes instantly on the title screen.

I've tried reformatting and reloading the SD cart and reloading everything, but the problems persist. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Offline TSM

• View Profile
Re: Graphical Glitches/freezing with new N8 & Analogue NT
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 10:02 PM »
I've had similar issues with my Analogue NT and Famicom N8. Many games have graphical issues, and tend to randomly freeze. When I try my actual carts they perform flawlessly. There are several games that reliably have issues with the N8. Ninja Gaiden for instance always freezes about 1/4 of the way into level 1-1. Super Mario 3 tends to have graphical glitches until it eventually freezes after several levels. I've tried several different rom sets and micro sd cards and the issue persists.

Offline BTails

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 12:10 AM »
As a brief update, I tried reverting back to firmware v12, to see if that did anything, but it had the same issues: games would load, but were often glitchy or would freeze.

Offline polyh3dron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 08:10 AM »
BTails, does your NT have the HDMI mod in it?

Offline mario64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 06:14 PM »
BTails, does your NT have the HDMI mod in it?
He said here it does yes: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12019&start=270

This whole thing makes me very nervous. I too have a Famicom N8 and my 2nd production NT with HDMI will be here later this week. Unless this gets resolved I'll be selling it on ebay :(

Offline BTails

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 09:57 PM »
mario64, you'll have to keep us informed on whther your n8 works, as I'm at a total loss. Someone on NeoGAF said that they have an Everdrive in NES shell, and it's working fine with his second run Analogue and it works fine, though I'm jot sure if his is an HDMI model or not. I'd be willing to give up the slick design of the Famicom n8 shell if it means the thing will work!

Offline mario64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 10:32 PM »
mario64, you'll have to keep us informed on whther your n8 works, as I'm at a total loss. Someone on NeoGAF said that they have an Everdrive in NES shell, and it's working fine with his second run Analogue and it works fine, though I'm jot sure if his is an HDMI model or not. I'd be willing to give up the slick design of the Famicom n8 shell if it means the thing will work!
Problem is, then we'd lose Famicom sound. I'll just sell my NT and keep my RGB AV Famicom if that's the case. I have a feeling this may to turn into a pissing match between Krikzz and Kevtris and in the end there will be no resolution. The one and only difference in regards to the HDMI mod between NT run 1 and run 2 units is they left composite video enabled on the run 2 models. That likely has something to do with it and points in Kevtris' direction. I seriously doubt he'll do anything about it though

Offline BTails

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 11:35 PM »
Update: FIXED??

I was playing around with my setup again today, and I changed the "Despeckle" setting from Phase 0 to Phase 1, and that seemed to fix all of the graphical errors I was having! I haven't had a chance to test long-term yet, but I was able to run a number of games that were showing corrupt graphics fine.

Lagrange Point also booted as well, instead of crashing on the title screen!

Offline mario64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 12:49 AM »

I was playing around with my setup again today, and I changed the "Despeckle" setting from Phase 0 to Phase 1, and that seemed to fix all of the graphical errors I was having! I haven't had a chance to test long-term yet, but I was able to run a number of games that were showing corrupt graphics fine.

Wow cool! Any idea what that phase setting does?

Offline TSM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 02:07 AM »

This solved my problems as well. I was already on Phase 1, but selecting Phase 2 was the winner. I tried using Phase 0 to see what would happen, and it was hilariously broken.

Offline mario64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 03:13 AM »
Here's what the Phase setting does:

Despeckle is designed to work around a bug found older versions of the PPU:  When register 2000 is written to, it corrupts the EXT pin data, which creates speckles on the screen.  By changing this setting, it will capture the pixel data at a different time, thereby avoiding the speckles.  The H rev PPU seems to have fixed the problem, but G and earlier will have it.  This can be seen on certain games like zelda and double dragon, but not all...and once again, only on certain NES revisions.  If you don't see speckels, you won't need to worry about this at all and if you do, simply change the phase:

Offline xDagmaRx

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 07:28 AM »
Hey everyone, just made an account on here because i wanted to fill some people in on some things I found out about the Analog NT and Everdrives.

I've been following the reports on errors and such about the Everdrives and Analog NT's on nesdev, neogaf and this forum.  I have the 2nd run of the Analog NT version 2.0 hdmi output and both the NES style Everdrive N8 and the Famicom version and my Famicom Everdrive definitely has some problems.  Running on the Famicom Everdrive OS v13 games will freeze after so many minutes, glitch up, status bars will bounce, its kinda a mess.  Ive tried different sd cards, rom files, everything.  Different versions of Super Mario 2 with all the phase settings will glitch up, freeze or wont get past the select screen.  Mario 3 resets or freezes randomly, Castlevania 3 (Japan Version) will freeze or quit after a certain amount of time.  I did beat contra with my friend but i also had that game quit on me.  Certain games we did get through like Super Spike Volleyball.  Ive tried all different phases, 720p, 1080p and I just cant depend on the Famicom Everdrive with the Analog NT.  That being said though I have excellent news.........

My NES style N8 everdrive works perfectly from what I tested!!  I played quite a ways through Super Mario 2 (USA version) before quitting it, Castlevania 3 (Japanese version) with all the sound enhancements works perfectly.  Lagrange Point with all the sound enhancements work, it didnt crash on me or glitch at all, graphics didnt get messed up at all.

I just wanted to give a quick update on what I found out so far, hope it helps some people out.  Ill be testing more games in the coming days and ill post my results throughout the week.  So far the NES N8 Everdrive is the way to go.  I also bought both everdrives from Stone Age Gamer.

Offline mario64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 10:56 PM »
Hey everyone, just made an account on here because i wanted to fill some people in on some things I found out about the Analog NT and Everdrives.

I've been following the reports on errors and such about the Everdrives and Analog NT's on nesdev, neogaf and this forum.  I have the 2nd run of the Analog NT version 2.0 hdmi output and both the NES style Everdrive N8 and the Famicom version and my Famicom Everdrive definitely has some problems.  Running on the Famicom Everdrive OS v13 games will freeze after so many minutes, glitch up, status bars will bounce, its kinda a mess.  Ive tried different sd cards, rom files, everything.  Different versions of Super Mario 2 with all the phase settings will glitch up, freeze or wont get past the select screen.  Mario 3 resets or freezes randomly, Castlevania 3 (Japan Version) will freeze or quit after a certain amount of time.  I did beat contra with my friend but i also had that game quit on me.  Certain games we did get through like Super Spike Volleyball.  Ive tried all different phases, 720p, 1080p and I just cant depend on the Famicom Everdrive with the Analog NT.  That being said though I have excellent news.........

My NES style N8 everdrive works perfectly from what I tested!!  I played quite a ways through Super Mario 2 (USA version) before quitting it, Castlevania 3 (Japanese version) with all the sound enhancements works perfectly.  Lagrange Point with all the sound enhancements work, it didnt crash on me or glitch at all, graphics didnt get messed up at all.

I just wanted to give a quick update on what I found out so far, hope it helps some people out.  Ill be testing more games in the coming days and ill post my results throughout the week.  So far the NES N8 Everdrive is the way to go.  I also bought both everdrives from Stone Age Gamer.

Add me to the list I'm afraid. Clearly the NT 2.0 units are incompatible with the Famicom Everdrive  :'(

Offline RchGrav

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 11:14 PM »

I'm pretty much convinced of this fact now also..  I deleted my other post confirming it because I wanted to be sure.

Not only are certain files incompatible, but even the most basic of ROMs hard lock up the NT 2.0 console after a few minutes.

I've tried EVERYTHING...    I even tried using a 12V 3A adapter just in case it was a power related issue.

Anyway, I ordered a composite cable from Analogue.co to see what happens if I bypass the HDMI..  I'm guessing it will work then, but we will see.

I'm sad.. I really would have liked to play some of the games with the expanded audio..   :'(

Offline hunterk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 11:29 PM »
My first run Nt (RGB output) freezes frequently with the famicom N8, as well. However, most of the games you mentioned are fine for me. SMB3, Gimmick! and Akumajou Densetsu don't freeze, while River City Ransom and Bubble Bobble do. /shrug