Author Topic: Graphical Glitches/freezing with new N8 & Analogue NT  (Read 97061 times)

Offline analoguesupport

• support.analogue.co
    • View Profile
    • Analogue
Re: Graphical Glitches/freezing with new N8 & Analogue NT
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2016, 05:18 AM »
Do you have a system in house which is exhibiting the problem?  I would be happy to send you both my console and the N8 for testing purposes.

Rich

Thanks for the offer, Rich. Lets see if we can come up with a solution on our end first, but we'll definitely keep your offer in mind. Wouldn't want you to be without your Nt if you don't have to.

At the office we have: x2 Famicom ED & x2 NES ED

We have been unable to replicate the issue on any system, which we've of course tested many! We sent out some more Nt HW to Krikzz last week (he already had some from last year) and he'll be doing some troubleshooting as soon as he can. We'll be working together on the issue from there.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 05:24 AM by analoguesupport »

Offline RchGrav

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2016, 08:25 AM »
Do you have a system in house which is exhibiting the problem?  I would be happy to send you both my console and the N8 for testing purposes.

Rich

Thanks for the offer, Rich. Lets see if we can come up with a solution on our end first, but we'll definitely keep your offer in mind. Wouldn't want you to be without your Nt if you don't have to.

At the office we have: x2 Famicom ED & x2 NES ED

We have been unable to replicate the issue on any system, which we've of course tested many! We sent out some more Nt HW to Krikzz last week (he already had some from last year) and he'll be doing some troubleshooting as soon as he can. We'll be working together on the issue from there.

I seriously don't have a problem with sending it in, especially if you can't seem to replicate it. 

At the very least I feel as though it will get to the bottom of the issue...  I absolutely promise you can replicate it with mine.  ;-)

I'm very curious as to what you find by process of elimination with your working setup and I don't mind being without it if it helps get to the bottom of the problem.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 08:31 AM by RchGrav »

Offline Cobble

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2016, 01:02 PM »
I would also be willing to send my NT and ED in next week if needed. With mine the issues vary and can take a while to replicate, but I can summarize:

The Legend of Zelda - played fine for about 30-45 minutes and then froze.
Life Force - Froze after about 10 minutes
Caveman Games - audio loads but you get graphical artifacts all over the place - this was the only game with immediate and consistent issues so i don't know what to make of that
Dragon Warrior 1 - Played fine for about 3 hours and then I lost video completely. I could still hear audio and the game was still running, because I could hear my character move and get into battles, but the video was just gone.

I am using an Everdrive with the latest (v13) firmware and a 2nd generation NT (HDMI) with the latest (2.25) firmware.

If I think of any others I'll let you know, and if I need to send it in I will.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 04:57 PM by Cobble »

Offline Thereal1980

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2016, 05:34 PM »
I tried playing without the plastic shell (Famicom N8) and it did not change anything, just so people know. I read the shell could prevent the pcb from going all the way down but seems not.

Offline Cobble

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2016, 12:30 AM »
I tried playing without the plastic shell (Famicom N8) and it did not change anything, just so people know. I read the shell could prevent the pcb from going all the way down but seems not.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the shell is identical to the original ones. Worth trying though.

Offline Cobble

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2016, 08:20 PM »
Has there been any progress on this at all?

Offline analoguesupport

• support.analogue.co
    • View Profile
    • Analogue
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2016, 11:01 PM »
We sent a package to Krikzz in the Ukraine and it was already delivered. We're working together on it now and I'll be sure to post here once we get to the bottom of it! Thanks for your patience.

Offline Cobble

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2016, 02:25 AM »
Ah, that's right. I forgot Krikzz was in the Ukraine. Have you guys been able to reproduce the issue?

Offline Cobble

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2016, 01:07 AM »
Bumping this post, lest it be forgotten.

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2016, 01:46 AM »
The issue has been pinned, its not going to be forgotten anytime soon.  No guarantees on a fix.
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline BTails

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2016, 02:02 AM »
I can understand the anxiousness. I was told by Analogue prior to ordering that there was no compatability issues with the NT and the Everdrive, and I've been having the exact opposite.

Offline Cobble

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2016, 01:08 PM »
I can understand the anxiousness. I was told by Analogue prior to ordering that there was no compatability issues with the NT and the Everdrive, and I've been having the exact opposite.

Exactly. At the end of the day, I bought my NT because it was said to be compatible with the EverDrive. I have a large NES collection and there was a lot of appeal to not swapping out games and risking damage or getting them dirty. I also have a Framemeister with a RGB modded top-loader NES so if I wanted to just make my games look nice, I've already accomplished that, and would have no need for the NT. After factoring in shipping, taxes, and all other costs associated with the NT and Everdrive, I'm in them for about $800, only to find that they don't work for the exact purpose I'd purchased them for. My regular NES works fine with the Everdrive, so I'm in a situation where I spent all of that money, seemingly for nothing.

I like the NT. I think it's gorgeous and very well made. I just want it to do what was claimed, or to know that it can't, so that I can sell it. I know that it may take time to fix the problem, or maybe it won't be fixed at all, but regular updates would be nice. Right now, I have no idea if they've even been able to reproduce the issues which is frustrating because I know that they can be reproduced on my hardware, and I (and others) have offered to ship my NT and ED to Analogue in an effort to help find a resolution. This is obviously a niche community, but it's also one that's full to the brim of people who could help in chasing the problem down, so it's frustrating to not be included or regularly updated, even if it's just to say "We see the problem and here's what we think."

It's a lot of money to have spent for hardware that doesn't function as well as the RGB console I already have, which was $400 cheaper than the NT.

Offline Duo_r

• View Profile
Graphical Glitches/freezing with new N8 & Analogue NT
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2016, 10:41 PM »
You can still have the extra Famicom sounds if you mod a NES N8. Shouldn't be an issue.

mario64, you'll have to keep us informed on whther your n8 works, as I'm at a total loss. Someone on NeoGAF said that they have an Everdrive in NES shell, and it's working fine with his second run Analogue and it works fine, though I'm jot sure if his is an HDMI model or not. I'd be willing to give up the slick design of the Famicom n8 shell if it means the thing will work!
Problem is, then we'd lose Famicom sound. I'll just sell my NT and keep my RGB AV Famicom if that's the case. I have a feeling this may to turn into a pissing match between Krikzz and Kevtris and in the end there will be no resolution. The one and only difference in regards to the HDMI mod between NT run 1 and run 2 units is they left composite video enabled on the run 2 models. That likely has something to do with it and points in Kevtris' direction. I seriously doubt he'll do anything about it though

Offline TSM

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2016, 12:19 AM »
What I found interesting was this post in the sticky thread:

1. First shipment
2. RGB
3. EDOS v13
4. N/A
5. Famicom N8
6. Super Mario Bros. 2 US crashes almost immediately, while SMB USA Famicom cart has no crashes and neither does Doki Doki Panic via FDSStick. River City Ransom, Bubble Bobble and Ninja Gaiden 3 are also particularly unstable.

We have someone without the HDMI mod and a first shipment NT with the same issues with the Famicom N8 and the NT.

I also haven't tested yet, but someone on NeoGaf said that their Famicom Holy Diver cart has near identical issues as the Famicom N8:

Been loving my Analogue but stumbled on a weird compatibility issue with Holy Diver (FC), near the end of the level the game always freezes to a jumbled pixelated mess. If I set "Despeckle" to phase 2, it allows me to reach the boss, but when I die the game either crashes, or doesn't display any character sprites! Cartridge plays fine in regular famicom console. Will contact analogue for this.

Anyone have this game and an NT to duplicate this by any chance?

I guess I should test this soon and get back here.

Offline Cobble

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2016, 01:33 PM »
The issues seem to be all over the place, so it's hard to pinpoint. Every game I've played through the EverDrive has crashed on my NT. It can take minutes or a few hours, but I've had a 100% failure rate so far.