Author Topic: NES on the Everdrive...  (Read 4634 times)

Offline tjstogy

• View Profile
NES on the Everdrive...
« on: December 08, 2015, 05:00 AM »
So, if I load NES roms onto the ED64 and play them on my RGB modded N64, is it the same exact picture quality as playing the games on an RGB modded NES?

Offline jamesrussels

• View Profile
Re: NES on the Everdrive...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 11:38 PM »
 Yes it is.

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 04:55 AM »
No, it's not.

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 09:47 AM »
It's emulated, so it's close to NES RGB mod quality, but still just emulated which means not 100% what the console intended o show.

Offline Troyus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 02:10 PM »
What about the n64 having really shitty hook ups? They are composit or at best svideo without mods. He does not mention the n64 is modded.
Flash carts: game gear ED, megadrive ED, SNES ED, nintendo64 ED, N8 ED, GB ED, GBA ED, PSIO

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 02:21 PM »
What about the n64 having really shitty hook ups? They are composit or at best svideo without mods. He does not mention the n64 is modded.

he did! in his first sentence ^^

Offline Troyus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 04:57 PM »
Ugh I thought he said rbg Nes. Woops.
Flash carts: game gear ED, megadrive ED, SNES ED, nintendo64 ED, N8 ED, GB ED, GBA ED, PSIO

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 07:35 AM »
It won't necessarily be a good experience. For one, the frame rate is ever so slightly off, leading to very stuttery movement which really hurts my eyes when I try to play Mega Man 3. Since it is emulated, you never know if you're going to run into issues or not, and this is not a very accurate emulator.

Second, the palette will never match exactly to what the original NES outputted since you have to simulate what was originally YUV to RGB (same goes with an RGB modded NES and PC emulators) by faking it with a palette. This is a non-issue to most people, though.

Third, Neon64 is not an updated emulator (nor is it made by Krikzz), so do not expect any support.

Will it be exactly the same as an RGB-modded NES? No, because the emulator is not 100% accurate. Will it look close? Probably.
As for me, I'll stick to using my NES controller with my PC hooked up to my TV via transcoder, and I'll just use Nestopia UE via RetroArch until I get an NES + Everdrive N8. I'll probably stick to an unmodded NES as well unless there's a way to output something with native YUV, such as YPbPr using the original palette.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 07:39 AM by iwasaperson »
@Syboxez on Discord and some other places as well.

Offline AW87

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 11:45 PM »
The question is, if it`s really worthwile, to have a totally sharp picture for retro-graphics?

Maybe it`s a matter of taste, but i like it, when retro-graphics have a little smoothness, when they look like an antialias or bilinear screenfilter is used. Then the pixel-edges can not be seen so much and the picture has not this strong mosaic-effect, which it has, when retro-graphics runs on modern ultrasharp flatscreen-TV`s or monitors.

At that time, when for example 8bit-graphics was current, tube-televisions was the standard and this kind of televisions has a smoothing effect inherently. Often programers or painters of retro-graphics use this normal smoothness for making good looking color-gradients and so on. When a modern TV has a very sharp picture, then the effect of such gradients dont work like it should and the picture looks not good. This is also the reason why nearly all software-emulators offers the possibility to use graphic-filters, to let retro-graphic look like in the 80`s on modern TV`s
or monitors.

But like i wrote. It is maybe a matter of taste and some people like mosaic-effects when you can see every single pixel on the screen.  :)