Author Topic: Missing Audio Channel 5 on AV Famicom  (Read 1027 times)

Offline francojmr

• View Profile
Missing Audio Channel 5 on AV Famicom
« on: June 18, 2020, 05:46 AM »
Hi,

I'm using my N8 Pro with a full NES USA rom set on my Japanese AV Famicom. Everything seems to work fine except I can't hear the audio samples on games like Super C and Mario 3 etc. Seems to be a mapping issue with the audio channel 5 typically used for audio samples on the NES. This is from what I understand as explained here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la3coK5pq5w

So I tested with an original Famicom Ninja Gaiden Cart and no audio issues. The issue happens only when I use my N8 Pro Everdrive. I did format the SD Card, cleaned the console contacts and tested with multiple ROMS and the last 2 OS available (V2.07 and V2.08). Same issue with the missing audio channel. I think is a mapping issue cuz everything I tried hasn't work.

Are there any issues with using USA Roms with the Japanese AV Famicom and the N8 Pro Everdrive? I've been trying to solve this issue for weeks now. I even replaced the Everdrive but the problem persists. Pls advice. The help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Online nuu

• View Profile
Re: Missing Audio Channel 5 on AV Famicom
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 11:11 AM »
That's a strange problem. The sound, including the DPCM channel, is mixed before it goes to the cartridge. There is no mapping going on. The Pro supports mixing the sound further inside the cartridge with expansion sound. Maybe the DPCM is filtered out somehow by the Pro's mixer? Try turning off In-Game menu just to make sure nothing is interfering.

Offline francojmr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 08:08 PM »
Hi! Thanks for the prompt reply! So I turned off the in-game menu option and the same thing happened. Starting to go crazy on what could be the reason lol. I'm using an original Japanese AV Famicom with official Nintendo Power and AV cables. I would tend to thing it might be an audio cable issue but I tested with 2 cables. Same thing. No clue what it could be now since per your explanation is unlikely to be a mapping issue, the console works fin with original Famicom cartridges. What other things I could test? Thanks again for the help!!!

Online nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 07:50 PM »
If you have access to another Famicom you could test it on that too. Then there are the mixing volumes of the expansion channel you could try adjust and see if something changes. Also you could try an older version of the OS and see if it's not a bug in the newest OS.

Otherwise you could contact Krikzz using the form on the website.