Author Topic: Super Metroid just won't save!?  (Read 5343 times)

Offline SgtBats

• View Profile
Super Metroid just won't save!?
« on: July 19, 2015, 04:24 PM »
Please help, I just can't get this working :(

My brand new Super EverDrive plays most games and saving seems to work on at least a few (Donkey Kong Country, Mario All-Stars). However for Metroid, it just won't work. It will save once, after the intro level and you land on Planet Zebes for the first time. However after that it just won't save. I go and get the Morph Ball and the missiles. I've tried saving at the newly accessible save point in the shaft and at the ship. It just doesn't work.

I stand on the save point/pad in the game and it asks me if I want to save I press Yes/B and the popup disappears immediately. There is no "save animation" that I see in youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mHYOzLh19E&feature=youtu.be&t=12m16s (Although they might not be playing on real hardware?)

I've tried resetting and manually writing the SRAM to the save file, nothing. I've tried using different ROM files, no joy. It is very frustrating that ever time I play I am back at the start :-(

Roms tested (on a PAL SNES):
Super Metroid (E) [!].smc
Super Metroid (E) (M3) [!].smc
Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc
Super Metroid (U) (M2) (VC).smc

Please can someone help? Thanks.

Offline wprpalmeida

• View Profile
Re: Super Metroid just won't save!?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 02:07 AM »
really dumb answer, as i havent played super metroid in over 10 years, but shouldnt you press A?

Offline SgtBats

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 11:16 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I have tried every button, including A/Select/Start/etc... they do nothing except change selection (Yes/No) or make the popup disappear.

Offline SgtBats

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 09:06 PM »
OK, it seems to work!? Not quite sure which step fixed it, but 1) I deleted my Metroid save manually from the SD card, 2) Reset to the default button layout (yuck), and 3) then downloaded a new version of the rom (MD5 hash: 3D64F89499A403D17D530388854A7DA5), hopefully this helps someone else sometime!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 03:44 PM »
It must be either 2) or 3), I bet it was 2). Even if there's something wrong with your Everdrive/SD setup the saving animation should appear. No-intro rom works for me.