Author Topic: Just received an old everdrive from a friend, it STILL needs the BIOS update!  (Read 16573 times)

Offline wyatt8740

• View Profile
My friend just sent me an everdrive N8 he bought ages ago but could never get working. His needs the BIOS update, which has not been on this site for some time. Would someone please link me to a copy or PM me with it? I'd be really grateful.

He got it ages ago on my advice and was never able to make it work (he's barely computer literate). So he mailed it to me for me to sort out, and I can confirm it needs that BIOS update.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:16 PM by wyatt8740 »

Offline strider1911

• View Profile
There are no OLD and NEW Everdrive N8's. only 1. What bios update is this?

Offline Troyus

• View Profile
The Chinese one I bet :)

Show us some PCB pics please and we will try and help if legit.
Flash carts: game gear ED, megadrive ED, SNES ED, nintendo64 ED, N8 ED, GB ED, GBA ED, PSIO

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
Once EDN8 came out there was a BIOS update, I have the file here but I cannot attach (it says the DL folder is full) and cannot PM it either.

File name is n8-bios-v4.nes and it updates your N8 to v4 of the firmware.

Offline wyatt8740

• View Profile
The Chinese one I bet :)

Show us some PCB pics please and we will try and help if legit.
this isnt the chinese board. I checked with krikzz's "spot the fake". It's an original (first batch) everdrive.
He has the docs from stoneagegamer to prove it. (he bought from them)

Offline wyatt8740

• View Profile
Once EDN8 came out there was a BIOS update, I have the file here but I cannot attach (it says the DL folder is full) and cannot PM it either.

File name is n8-bios-v4.nes and it updates your N8 to v4 of the firmware.

Please upload it to dropbox or mega or something, and PM me the link. I searched for the file name for weeks.

and bios v5 is the latest according to mine, is there any chance theres an update to that?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 05:26 AM by wyatt8740 »

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
PM sent.

I do not have any other version, so if you end up downgrading instead of upgrading there's no way that I know to go back, unless Krikzz posts the latest  n8-bios-vXXX.nes so we can all enjoy it.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sometimes i rue so much, because i can not vanish from internet all information about those bios update. Once people have some problems with cart, first of all they dig some old thread about bios and trying to update it. Bios update process potentially dangerous and completely useless, if you not one of those customers for bought cart in first weeks. Some facts about bios:

1) I only made few tens carts with bios v1-v3, and they all were sold in first two weeks. I mean those carts extremely rare and most of them were updated back in the days
2) BIOS v1-v3  does not support old SD card under 4GB, but you still can use SDHC cards (any 4-32Gb sd cards)
3) To run bios update tool, you should have SDHC SD card, but if you already have SDHC card, then you don't actually need to update the bios, just use this SDHC card
4) Bios update can not fix any problems, except like include support of old small sd cards

I hope that anyone who dig internet in search of the bios will found this topic and save lot of own the time (:
#EDN8 does not require bios update and earth is not flat

Offline DandySephy

• View Profile
I think it would be a good idea to put a readme file in the N8 folder on the website. People will usually go to the website to find the file, then come here when they can't find it. If there is a txt file or something in the folder to tell them they don't need it, it will be less confusing for people.

Offline wyatt8740

• View Profile
Sometimes i rue so much, because i can not vanish from internet all information about those bios update. Once people have some problems with cart, first of all they dig some old thread about bios and trying to update it. Bios update process potentially dangerous and completely useless, if you not one of those customers for bought cart in first weeks. Some facts about bios:

1) I only made few tens carts with bios v1-v3, and they all were sold in first two weeks. I mean those carts extremely rare and most of them were updated back in the days
2) BIOS v1-v3  does not support old SD card under 4GB, but you still can use SDHC cards (any 4-32Gb sd cards)
3) To run bios update tool, you should have SDHC SD card, but if you already have SDHC card, then you don't actually need to update the bios, just use this SDHC card
4) Bios update can not fix any problems, except like include support of old small sd cards

I hope that anyone who dig internet in search of the bios will found this topic and save lot of own the time (:
#EDN8 does not require bios update and earth is not flat
Okay, thanks. This one is v3. But anyway, what is the difference between v4 and v5 then? My new everdrive has v5.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
I think it would be a good idea to put a readme file in the N8 folder on the website. People will usually go to the website to find the file, then come here when they can't find it. If there is a txt file or something in the folder to tell them they don't need it, it will be less confusing for people.
This is the problem. One big role of internet forums is to be a place for digging up answers for questions you have. Customers will go dig up answers in the forum that may or may not be up to date, but since there is no official readme or FAQ with answers to the most common questions they will continue to do so. Krikzz expect too much from customers if they are supposed to know what bios version is the latest when it isn't stated anywhere when you buy it.
One way to make a FAQ is to start a thread where members can post solutions to common questions, and then organize a real FAQ out of that.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Renamed one of the stickies that I tried to start to a FAQ section. Feel free to add there as well, mods will organize it when we have a chance.