Author Topic: NES CIC CLONE  (Read 31236 times)

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
NES CIC CLONE
« on: February 09, 2013, 04:58 PM »
Huh! After three days of crazy work i made my own AVR based cic clone for NES, woohoo! So, NES version of cart will come very very soon!

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
Re: NES CIC CLONE
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 06:07 PM »
Good work Krikzz!

What about the two extra Famicom audio lines that go straigt to the expansion Port of the NES?
Will i have the modify my NES in that case, i think so?
Just an idea - a headphone jack would be nice or just solder-Pads on the PCB to add one.^^

greetings saturnu
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:28 PM by saturnu »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 06:43 PM »
Ypu will not able to hear nes internal sound with phones jack if your system is not modified

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 07:35 PM »
That is very cool to hear. AVR is much cheaper and less work than donor carts :)

How'd you go about recreating the CIC's algorithm? Did you just find a CIC ROM dump and use the same disassembler as the SNES? I've heard they're the same.

3 days is pretty impressive. Big congrats Krikzz! This is awesome.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 09:03 PM »
That is very cool to hear. AVR is much cheaper and less work than donor carts :)

How'd you go about recreating the CIC's algorithm? Did you just find a CIC ROM dump and use the same disassembler as the SNES? I've heard they're the same.

3 days is pretty impressive. Big congrats Krikzz! This is awesome.
I used Tengen.c to understand algorithm and timing, then i just make asm implementation for avr

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 09:49 PM »
nes version of cart will come very very soon. this is great news. so excited about this everdrive :)

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 11:00 PM »
excellent work krikzz as always
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 06:03 AM »
So yours works like a pirate cart or the real thing?  And what's an avr? Time for some googling...

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 11:44 AM »
So yours works like a pirate cart or the real thing?  And what's an avr? Time for some googling...
Works like original cic, plus my cic supports any regions. AVR it is an Atmel MCU

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 12:09 PM »
Someone (jims cool) on Nesdev's forum was busy doing the same thing with a attiny13 except he's planning to have it work both as NES CIC and SNES CIC as far as I remember. Impressive that you managed to do it in 3 days! It's always nice seeing AVR get some love:0 Will you be releasing the binary or you are planning on setting the protection fuse and keeping it private? (just curious, no judgments!)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:49 PM by SkinnyV »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 05:53 PM »
I will release asm code and binary. By the way, i also chosen ATtiny13 for final implementation(I used atmega16 for prototype), this mcu even bit more cheap than PIC12F629

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 06:18 PM »
Awesome news! That's pretty generous and should break the CIClone monopoly. I'll be sure to try it out when it get released as I have quite a few tiny13 laying around and I'm planning on replacing the CIC stun circuit from an old 60-to-72 nes adapter with one of those baby. Any thought on how you're going to name your creation?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 06:25 PM by SkinnyV »

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 08:15 PM »
krikzz how did you learn about all the different retro stuff? i really admire your work, wished i could do the stuff you do :D
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 08:49 PM »
I will release asm code and binary. By the way, i also chosen ATtiny13 for final implementation(I used atmega16 for prototype), this mcu even bit more cheap than PIC12F629
I have always loved your approach with DIYers and we appreciate it. This is excellent news, indeed.

Any thought on how you're going to name your creation?

Name it the KobaCIC!!! Or whatever else you think makes more sense with pronunciation. If it's not obvious... I'm going for a play on "ковбаса".

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 10:50 PM »
Awesome news! That's pretty generous and should break the CIClone monopoly. I'll be sure to try it out when it get released as I have quite a few tiny13 laying around and I'm planning on replacing the CIC stun circuit from an old 60-to-72 nes adapter with one of those baby. Any thought on how you're going to name your creation?
Probably avrcic, or something like that.

krikzz how did you learn about all the different retro stuff? i really admire your work, wished i could do the stuff you do :D
Internet is my best friend (:

Name it the KobaCIC!!! Or whatever else you think makes more sense with pronunciation. If it's not obvious... I'm going for a play on "ковбаса".

LOL "cало" would more actual than "ковбаса"  for Ukraine, salocic in this case ha ha