Author Topic: What causes a gray screen when loading ROMs?  (Read 1695 times)

Offline sofakng

• View Profile
What causes a gray screen when loading ROMs?
« on: September 12, 2016, 03:56 PM »
I've purchased an Everdrive N8 from StoneAgeGamer (very reputable and authorized dealer) and it's working for several ROMs but not others.  I also need to do more testing, but it seems like after waiting a day some ROMs also began working correctly.

What could be the problem or what should I be looking at?

EDIT:  I should mention that the ROMs I'm trying have been verified using clrmamepro and No-Intro's DAT files.  The OS is also the latest v13.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 04:07 PM by sofakng »

Offline GadgetUK

• View Profile
Re: What causes a gray screen when loading ROMs?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 04:01 PM »
It could be dirty cart slot (I would also clean the evedrive cart edge as if its been sat in storage or tested on a dirty slot the cart edge could also be dirty).   Also possible you are using corrupt roms?    Is it just a 72pin N8 connecting straight to a NES - ie. you aren't using an adapter?   A dodgy cart socket can also cause that too!

Offline sofakng

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 04:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

I will try to clean the cartridge but it looks brand new and very clean.  The ROMs were checked with the No-Intro DAT file so they should be good.

I'm using a standard front-loader and the I even took apart the console and the 72-pin cartridge slot looks OK with no bent pins, etc.

Offline Cyperium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 07:02 PM »
Could be the nes that have dirty pins, the everdrive is much more sensitive than normal carts. I took the pin socket out of the nes and cooked it, has been working perfectly ever since.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 07:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

I will try to clean the cartridge but it looks brand new and very clean.  The ROMs were checked with the No-Intro DAT file so they should be good.

I'm using a standard front-loader and the I even took apart the console and the 72-pin cartridge slot looks OK with no bent pins, etc.

http://www.retrofixes.com/2015/09/boil-vs-bending-will-boiling-nes-72pin.html
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO

On my wishlist:
Everdrive GBA - EDGB X3 - Saturn Satisfier