Author Topic: Setting up the OS  (Read 4931 times)

Offline MegaMan

• View Profile
Setting up the OS
« on: May 01, 2013, 05:15 AM »
I'm setting up an SD for the arrival of my N8, but I couldn't find any proper way of setting it up. Basically my set up is the latest OS EDFC folder with the ROMs inside. If there is a proper way of doing this I'd like to know.

Offline gtsamour

• View Profile
Re: Setting up the OS
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 09:52 AM »
I was doing the same thing as you yesterday :) I just recieved it and its working fine.
I've set up my SD with the OS files as you download them in a EDFC folder and in the root directory I put all the game roms seperated in alphabetical folders in a way that each folder contains less than 256 roms. Don't forget, you also need to find the floppy console's bios and also put it in the EDFC folder in order to load .fds roms.

Unfortunatelly there doesn't seem to be a standard on the game shells, I opened 3 game carts and all are different and don't match the everdrive so I needed to modify one to fit (with an exacto knife).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 11:21 AM by gtsamour »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 12:12 PM »
I'm setting up an SD for the arrival of my N8, but I couldn't find any proper way of setting it up. Basically my set up is the latest OS EDFC folder with the ROMs inside. If there is a proper way of doing this I'd like to know.
Would be better if you will put your rom files somewhere outside of EDFC folder, this folder only for system files

Offline ZeroWing

• Pump up the Jams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 03:00 PM »
FDS games do not require FDS bios to load. To set up your SD card make an EDFC folder in the root of the card. Unzip the latest OS/Map pack to EDFC folder. Place roms anywhere other than EDFC folder. Make sure you keep in mind what GTS said and keep under 256 roms per folder. You are ready to play NES/FDS.
Mega Everdrive v1> EDN8 fami> ED64 v3> sd2snes > Flash2Advance

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 02:37 AM »
Not to confuse the hell out of things, but when I unzip the latest OS to my SD card root, it automatically creates a folder called EDFC, I don't have to create the folder myself. Now, I'm assuming I'm gravy, and that I don't need to create a folder called EDFC, in which I then extract the OS file to, which then creates another EDFC folder that contains everything, saves, mappers, etc  ???

To be clear, you're saying ZeroWing that FDS roms work without the need of adding a FDS BIOS to the EDFC folder, or whatever was suggested above? That's what I understood from reading the N8 features list, but it was suggested otherwise above.

I'm just prepping my SD card now- these two mundane questions are all that I can think of that can possibly kerfuffle me  ;D

Offline ZeroWing

• Pump up the Jams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 02:44 AM »
You are correct, there is no need to create another EDFC folder. Just unzip to the latest os to the root of your card and you are good. No need to place FDS bios in the EDFC folder.
Mega Everdrive v1> EDN8 fami> ED64 v3> sd2snes > Flash2Advance

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 03:53 AM »
Awesome ZeroWing, thanks for the confirmation   8)

Offline MegaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 09:52 PM »
Are the earlier OS updates included in the latest one?