Author Topic: Earthbound - Incorrect Enemies When Playing  (Read 99 times)

Offline CaptainGeorge19

• View Profile
Earthbound - Incorrect Enemies When Playing
« on: July 18, 2019, 01:05 PM »
I noticed when playing this game on the SD2SNES I am not getting the correct enemies and there are too many of them which I believe is an anti-piracy protection in the game.

For example, when I first start off, I just see the Spiteful Crow instead of the Coil Snake and Runaway Dog.
Has anyone successfully got around this? I'm not sure if it is a setting I need to change on the SD2SNES or a specific rom that needs to be used.

Offline supersign

• View Profile
Re: Earthbound - Incorrect Enemies When Playing
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 04:50 PM »
That's just RNG for you. I get just Spiteful Crows at the start and other times I don't. I never had an issue with enemies overriding.

Have you checked its CRC32 checksum?
« Last Edit: Today at 01:14 AM by supersign »

Offline CaptainGeorge19

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:34 AM »
Thanks.

I saw this article about the copy protection on this game and was worried that the level 3 protection was being triggered on the SD2SNES.
http://media.earthboundcentral.com/2011/05/earthbounds-copy-protection/index.html

The checksum looks ok on the ROM, so it's probably fine.
It looks like the 5th layer of copy protection is the worst. Getting all the way to the end of the game, and then it freezes and deletes your save file! Hopefully no one has reported that happening on the SD2SNES.

I'll keep playing it, and update the post if I notice any obvious issues with the game.

Offline supersign

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:45 AM »
there are too many of them
Do you have a screenshot?