Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 147039 times)

Offline scx

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #840 on: January 26, 2019, 11:21 PM »
Came from Krikzz with the 20? Really

Offline tic

• View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 28, 2019, 04:03 PM »
No, i was thinking it works as the sd2snes no the os was always in the bin.

Its the os that came with the monsterpack, but it apperas so unestable Sometines work o. K, other show error 51,52, others the disk errors, others freeze loading os, others freeze in directory menu....  Other fail with the reset button.

Offline Unessential

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 28, 2019, 09:08 PM »
Again, any help with mapper 228? I imagine it's just a setting that i'm probably missing.

All I did was - rename the old EDFC folder (didn't want to delete it so I can easily revert)
Replace with v20  (again, I tried RC1 and RC7)

Should I have done more?  Or is this not the correct procedure to updating the firmware?

Device info says v20, and the rom info says mapper 228 but not supported...

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 28, 2019, 09:14 PM »
I find this often doesn't work.  It seems to hold on to the old location of the firmware.  I'd recommend taking the old EDFC folder and backing it up somewhere else off of the card, and doing a reformat with the new firmware.

I don't know what causes this, but I suspect it has something to do with the way the firmware's FAT implementation.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline Xtrasmiley

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: February 04, 2019, 03:00 AM »
Hi, is there a current status update on v20 right now? Is it still in BETA?

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #845 on: February 04, 2019, 07:25 PM »
Yes, and very buggy for many peoples. I think Krikkz thought he was done with the update and released the beta, then many peoples started reporting issues, he tried to fix them but then shelved it and moved his attention somewhere else. Its almost unusable for me so reverted back to the previous stable release. When he was looking into issues, I think he was unable to re-produce peoples io error and other issues. I'm not sure if sending him a SD Card with the issue would be enough for him to diagnose this but I have feeling that his mind is focused on other more exciting things right now (new SD2SNES pro for example). That's the downside of having so many products out on the market I suppose, you do not have enough time to split between your products. There is so many right now that I'm getting confused which one is which when trying to see if update are available for my different Everdrives  :o
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 07:30 PM by SkinnyV »

Offline dirtybob

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: February 05, 2019, 06:07 AM »
Yes V20 it is very buggy. I have 2 N8's and have to revert back to v16. Any version of v20 will randomly lock up my NES's after about 1 to 2 hours. I've tested v16 on 4 NES's 8 hours each running SMB 1 no locks, runs perfect. These NES's include 2 unmodded front loaders, 1 HI-DEF front loader and 1 HI-DEF top loader. Rev 7 simply will not work. Damn shame I like some of the newer features but I want stability so v16 is it for now.

I still have one front loader that has a sound problem and it only happens with an Everdrive. On various US roms IE 1942, Elevator Action the music/sound effects will be slowed 50%. Gameplay is at 60FPS. All is normal when playing the real carts WHY?

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #847 on: February 05, 2019, 09:06 AM »
Krikzz, have you been reading this topic? Do you have a status update? Will mapper 99 be fixed in the next update? Any updates on the OS errors that only affect some systems (which are not caused by the SD card and even occur after a reformat. For me they only happen on the top loading NES with FC sytle N8 and a FC to NES adapter)? I'm under the impression that the N8 OS is unstable.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 09:17 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline scx

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: February 05, 2019, 03:28 PM »
Yes, and very buggy for many peoples. I think Krikkz thought he was done with the update and released the beta, then many peoples started reporting issues, he tried to fix them but then shelved it and moved his attention somewhere else. Its almost unusable for me so reverted back to the previous stable release. When he was looking into issues, I think he was unable to re-produce peoples io error and other issues. I'm not sure if sending him a SD Card with the issue would be enough for him to diagnose this but I have feeling that his mind is focused on other more exciting things right now (new SD2SNES pro for example). That's the downside of having so many products out on the market I suppose, you do not have enough time to split between your products. There is so many right now that I'm getting confused which one is which when trying to see if update are available for my different Everdrives  :o

True story, I Wish i was a god at HDL and software programming like Krikzz, he's done an amazing job with all the hardware he has released, and that's fair. it is a shame he can't focus attention on one area but that's the problem with being human we go between things quite often because we get bored and that's fair enough, he will dabble in the n8 again in future no doubt as another human trait is not to leave things left unfinished.

Offline GreatFunky

• View Profile
« Reply #849 on: February 05, 2019, 08:05 PM »
he will dabble in the n8 again in future no doubt as another human trait is not to leave things left unfinished.

Hmmmm  have you ever heard about the OS v10 for the mega ED v1 ?  an unstable os ….. krikzz spent some times on it,  without success,  V10 was never really fixed although previous V9 was perfectly working , then few month later …...Mega ED V2/X7 was announced ….

https://twitter.com/RAGE_95/status/1092259941082189824

However, i don't draw any hasty conclusions, things may go differently  ::)…..

Offline OmenBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #850 on: February 06, 2019, 01:56 AM »
I'm very new to this and was curious what's wrong with rc7? It's the version I've had on my ED for months and I haven't run into any issues with it. Granted I haven't played much on it, maybe that's why I haven't had issues yet.
Ultra EverDrive 64 V3 - EverDrive N8 Famicom - Mega EverDrive X7 - SD2SNES Rev H

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #851 on: February 06, 2019, 03:10 AM »
I'm very new to this and was curious what's wrong with rc7? It's the version I've had on my ED for months and I haven't run into any issues with it. Granted I haven't played much on it, maybe that's why I haven't had issues yet.

Have you tried it on the AVS? MMC3 was tweaked and MMC3 games crash on AVS.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #852 on: February 06, 2019, 03:15 AM »
It's not even really KRIKzz's fault.  Some of us thought the line on Mega Man 3's stage select screen extended out too far, and it doesn't.  Although I am told that multiple behaviors have been seen on retail carts, so I don't really know for sure at this point.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #853 on: February 06, 2019, 08:19 AM »
RC6 is what you want to use.
I have no problems on all of my Famicoms with OS v20 RC6.

AVS is a hardware emulator, and if it doesn't run like the real hardware, retroUSB should fix that, not krikzz.
OS v16 worked on the AVS with no problems because retroUSB tweaked the AVS to work with v16.

Besides, all signes pointing at krikzz cooking a new N8 Pro.  :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 08:25 AM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline Gradius

• View Profile
« Reply #854 on: February 06, 2019, 08:31 AM »
RC1-3 and 5-7 are unusable on all of my AV Famicoms. RC4 works though.