Author Topic: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming  (Read 176521 times)

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS v20-BETA. Large update incoming
« Reply #810 on: December 09, 2018, 01:42 AM »
I would go with V20 RC6.  If that doesn't work well for you, try RC4.  If those don't work, drop back to V16.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline Retrothunder

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: December 09, 2018, 08:46 PM »
If your using the retrousb avs I would use OS16

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: December 09, 2018, 10:54 PM »
If your using the retrousb avs I would use OS16

I got those white artifacts using OS16, which I didn't get using the later betas. I recommend RC4-6 for AVS and downgrading to the 1.30 beta 5 AVS firmware for PAL games.

Offline Retrothunder

• View Profile
« Reply #813 on: December 09, 2018, 10:58 PM »
I like firmware final but if I use os20 rc 6 would it be cool

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: December 10, 2018, 02:14 AM »
RC6 is fine on AVS, but RC7 hates AVS.

Offline ShaolinZen

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: December 10, 2018, 09:17 PM »
Thanks everyone. I tried v16 but had issues. When trying to reset, I would just get a black screen(NES with 4gb Sandisk card). I tried v15 and haven't had any issues so far. I'll give the v20 a shot when I get more comfortable with everything.

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: December 11, 2018, 01:42 PM »
I'm very shortly going to be having RetroUSB to use and would like to use it with my EverDrive N8. I've been hearing a lot of issues using the newer firmware so would love some advice of which versions I should use for my N8 and AVS. Also for the issues being caused which piece of equipment is at fault. The N8 or AVS?

Offline metallaro1980

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: December 17, 2018, 06:14 PM »
On my nes this update doesn't work
i see pink picture.
with the os last version v16 0 problems
i deleted the edfc folder (v16) and i replaced with the edfc folder (v20) -> pink picture
now i am using the edfc folder (v16)
my nes is pal-e

Offline dirtybob

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: December 18, 2018, 10:42 PM »
I'm back on OS 16. Seems to work without crashing. I've been using beta 2 but after 45 minutes I will get lock ups on pretty much everything. RC7 won't even load a game. RC6 will but after 5 minutes everything locks. Could be my NES but real carts work just fine.

Speaking of that could someone explain why some NES's have sound issues. For example playing 1942 the sound effects/music will be playing at 50% vs a real cart playing at full speed? Same with other games like Elevator Action. Most at full speed. Again using real carts no problems. All carts/roms are NTSC.

Both my Hi-Def nes's/high number NES work perfectly fine but my low number (in the 400,000) range has the issue. Just me?

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: December 18, 2018, 11:08 PM »
I'm very shortly going to be having RetroUSB to use and would like to use it with my EverDrive N8. I've been hearing a lot of issues using the newer firmware so would love some advice of which versions I should use for my N8 and AVS. Also for the issues being caused which piece of equipment is at fault. The N8 or AVS?

RC4-RC6 have been fine for me on AVS (RC4 seems to be the most stable out of these), though I rolled back to the 1.30rc5 firmware since 1.30 final has issues with its PAL mode when using N8.

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #820 on: December 25, 2018, 01:43 AM »

RC4-RC6 have been fine for me on AVS (RC4 seems to be the most stable out of these), though I rolled back to the 1.30rc5 firmware since 1.30 final has issues with its PAL mode when using N8.
Ok I'll rolled back to one of those then.
What is the issue with the PAL mode using N8? Where can I download the 1.30rc5 firmware?

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: December 25, 2018, 07:36 AM »
What is the issue with the PAL mode using N8? Where can I download the 1.30rc5 firmware?

The issue I had with PAL mode was those SD card read errors, even with a newly formatted SD card that works everywhere else. 1.30 beta 5 can be found on this page.

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 25, 2018, 11:42 PM »

The issue I had with PAL mode was those SD card read errors, even with a newly formatted SD card that works everywhere else. 1.30 beta 5 can be found on this page.
I now have my AVS. It's running 1.30 beta 5 as the final one made the EverDrive run way too fast on PAL mode. I've tried different EverDrive N8 firmwares under OS20 and all so far crash the EverDrive when I reset my AVS. The menu also seems to run really slow.

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: December 26, 2018, 12:56 AM »
Now that Sim City NES is out, there appear to be emulation problems with MMC5. From the title screen all the way up until the the scenario/practice maps load, the graphics are garbage, possibly due to flaws in the bank switching for MMC5. on Nestopia UE, it's the reverse. Only the map, when the scenario is loaded, shows garbage graphics. FCEUX can emulate the game perfectly (SO FAR, from what I tested, that is), showing no corrupt graphics, which rules out my suspicion that the dump was bad. Any other emulator, is anyone's guess.

This just a heads up. I don't know if this could be fixed in the next few updates, as the game could be using some part of MMC5 that was never utilized by any released game.

EDIT: This was on OS v20-RC7 IIRC, as I don't remember which v20 RC version I had. Tested on an Original Famicom.

Here's the ROM image data, taken from Nestopia UE:

File:         Sim City (USA) (Proto).nes
Directory:    H:\Famicom\ROMS\Protos\
Soft-patched: No
CRC:          FDC7C50B
SHA-1:        5E8F67BEFB2B1BCBD0384E3144ACB2766FC3E443
System:       NES-NTSC
Board:        EKROM, Mapper 5
PRG-ROM:      128k
CHR-ROM:      128k
W-RAM:        8k
Solder Pad:   H:1 V:0
Battery:      Yes
File:         Sim City (USA) (Proto).sav
Directory:    H:\EDFC\SAVE\
Dump:         Unknown
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 02:13 AM by Missingno255 »
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline NoDiggity1

• View Profile
« Reply #824 on: December 29, 2018, 10:11 PM »
To mirror what Quantum was saying, I've got some serious instability issues with OS20.  I've tested multiple RC versions (up to RC7) and am currently on RC4.  One of the games that can consistently trigger problems is Double Dragon II.  I also have found issues with Golgo 13 II: The Mafat Conspiracy.  There have been others, but these are two that I can point to for testing purposes.  On RC6+7, Double Dragon II is consistently glitched.

Double Dragon II will have three possible scenarios -

1) Plays normally
2) Plays but experiences massive slowdowns and graphical / audio corruption
3) Plays normally until the game locks up.

When the game is glitched, if I do a hard power off and power back on, it remains in a glitched state.  If I power it off and wait 1-2 minutes, it will usually play normally again.

This is a 1985 NES front-loader with Blinking Light Win slot, NES RGB mod (done by a reputable modder) and has the additional voltage regulator installed.  The Everdrive N8 was purchased from a legit dealer, and I'm using a Sandisk SD card.  I've tested with 4 other SD cards, so that doesn't seem to be a common factor.

OS V16 seems to still be working well, and I can't trigger a similar behavior.

OS ver:20
Bios ver:5
Cpld ver:2
Adate:29.03.18
Atime:23:55

I am available for testing and diagnostics if that helps.

-Daniel