Author Topic: Modify SD2SNES PCB to fit NTSC cartridge shell?  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Dpcaire

• View Profile
Modify SD2SNES PCB to fit NTSC cartridge shell?
« on: February 10, 2019, 01:19 AM »
I ordered a custom NTSC style shell and label from an etsy repro seller for my SD2SNES (rev. J purchased from krikzz.com came in their SFC style shell). I understand I'll have to dremel the new shell to make room for the extra contact pins and the USB & SD slots. When I did a dry fit for with the new shell I was surprised to see that the top corners of the PCB seem to run outside of the boundary of the NTSC shell.

Some photos of what I'm describing:

https://imgur.com/t9oTvCy
https://imgur.com/ztyabkv

There don't appear to be any traces on these areas of the pcb. Would it be safe to cut down these spots to fit this case? Or did I get a repro case that's somehow different from a standard one that should fit easily?

Thanks.

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
Re: Modify SD2SNES PCB to fit NTSC cartridge shell?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 10:45 AM »
I ordered a custom NTSC style shell and label from an etsy repro seller for my SD2SNES (rev. J purchased from krikzz.com came in their SFC style shell). I understand I'll have to dremel the new shell to make room for the extra contact pins and the USB & SD slots. When I did a dry fit for with the new shell I was surprised to see that the top corners of the PCB seem to run outside of the boundary of the NTSC shell.

Some photos of what I'm describing:

https://imgur.com/t9oTvCy
https://imgur.com/ztyabkv

There don't appear to be any traces on these areas of the pcb. Would it be safe to cut down these spots to fit this case? Or did I get a repro case that's somehow different from a standard one that should fit easily?

Thanks.
Short answer? No. Someone who makes the thing would have to chime in to be 100 percent sure but many pcb's have hidden layers which you will damage by trying to cut part of it off. Your best bet is just buying a universal shell or an american shell for the sd2snes specifically or just cut the shell you have there but not the pcb. Better to do that than risk ruining a 200 dollar piece of tech my man.
All I wanna do is shred.
Sufami Turbo

Offline lordoftime79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 03:56 PM »
It seems to me that its close enough to the edge of the pcb that there arnt any traces, and you would only have to shave it down a littlee so i would do it, i have trimmed pcb's down for mods in the past with no ill effects. Of course its up to you the sd2snes is quite expensive!

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 10:03 PM »
Strange - previous pcb revisions always had full cutouts on the top left and right corners:

So they did fit into a normal US style shell.

But Rev. J didn't have them anymore:

... just some small cutouts for the latches. So it seems like it will only fit into a JP/EU style shell!?!?

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing™ inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 04:24 AM »
This seems to be a design oversight.
Put the PCB against a light source and see through the board, I suspect there aren't any hidden traces near that area so you're safe to cut it away using a dremel or handsaw.
And so I go fast.

Offline EverDriver

• Administrator
  • support
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 04:44 AM »
If you are careful you won't damage anything.
Yes there are no traces however please be sure you don't have a short circuit between the layers (inspect the edges well. they must be clean).