Author Topic: Sd2snes firmware update issue / “flash check error (clone?)”  (Read 4048 times)

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
Re: Sd2snes firmware update issue / “flash check error (clone?)”
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 08:41 PM »
If anything, the SD2SNES and its recent improvements make the argument that the EverDrive firmware should also go open source.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 09:22 PM »
Well regarding that... I would like to see it open sourced. You were able to see last year what could happen when a few skilled ppl start to add stuff. Hello, SDD-1, hello SA-1 and HELLO Mario Chip aka FX and all the other great fixed stuff for 1Chip etc!! Not gonna happen for the Super Everdrive because it has not the FPGA power for that, but some stuff is there to be modified or optimized and that is true for any of the Everdrive carts.
Anyways... I think this goes a bit off topic.
Regarding the cart with some defect or lock: I never tinkered with my sd2snes 's JTAG port but this could be the way to go. No clue if anyone here ever used it and can help there. I can't and thus won't. Even if it would be a real one in that case.

Offline Jdurg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 10:36 PM »
To be honest, if the Everdrive OS for all Everdrives was made open source, that may be a good thing.  Krikzz is far more brilliant than I am, but when you constantly hear about random errors/crashes/freezes/SD Card issues, it makes me wonder if he has some shortcomings in coding the OS with regards to reads/writes from the SD card.  (As it seems that is where the bulk of the issues are coming from).  May be a better option for all if the code was open source so others could fix the issues that are being found, but for which Krikzz just doesn't have the hardware needed to troubleshoot it.

With regards to the open source debate and clone SD2SNES carts, my feeling is that for open source projects the end-user should go to where they got the product for support.  These forums here are really for those who paid the extra money to get one from the official sellers.  So while it might suck if someone can't afford to get an "official" cart, my apologies.  Not being able to afford stuff sucks.

Offline mancyrix

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2019, 06:32 AM »
Honestly, i know there is always a debate.  While i just not wish to trigger anybody to feel bad in these.

I am just a general public and when i first buying a lower priced sd2snes from some "not official" sellers, i know very little and i think that is not surprised in many people's thought.  Sure now I learnt a lesson and this is no correct/incorrect in my judgement yet, I just knew the atmosphere now.

by the way, I also real support the official ones and so i bought one as well.

So, I think i am sure just to seek for some Help/ the help is, I just wish to make clarify for :

1. MY 1st sd2snes card (not so call official one) is having perfect sd2 diagnose test result (refer bottom)
2. If it is checked as passing all test results, so i think it shall be a quality-proved and it shall not have failure in hardware,
3. It is started from 0.16 firmware , all firmware running perfect til 1.8.  and no more upgrade or downgrade allow suddenly.
4. It say "flash check error(clone)" message and querying it be clone.  I just want to know if that is a solid problem found, e.g. memory speed error? ic problems? etc, if then, the test shall not saying okay, right?
5. Otherwise, if that is really a NEED to check "non-offical" hardware , i just hope to have a know. (while I understand this is probably to get)
6. See, I saw many other so called Clone or unoffical hardware in this open source item is still selling, it is sure right for any supporting or failure shall back to the seller directly.  However, the problem is, they all can use 1.9 firmware, but why some card just being checked and saying clone and some others still survive ? My card is checked test okay, but it locked me since 1.8.   I just wish I can take my own risk to bear any quality issues in case happened, I will not challenge any issues here, but I really not wishing the card being proactively locked without strong reason. 
7.if that is just developer's wish to isolated these hardware, definitely can.  But i still not wishing to seeing just by decision instead of real quality check problems.  My card is from China seller, yes, but they may not have intention to letting buying suffer as well. ( Honestly, those sellers also allow for repairing in case of card hardware issues.) 

I know total thing is debatable, I not wish to make all of  us fans of sd2snes being down, I just sincerely wishing to seek for some help for if there is some possible to let the rom being fresh cleared and be new, at least no locking at a specific firmware .  My card pass all test, so i dun think it is " quality problem"  ,  except there is hidden agenda from developer's view, then i am humble to learn it.

If no one can help, i still enjoying my another official card which is using 1.9 so far happily. thanks.

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 05:47 PM »
@mancyrix
There is probably NO EASY solution. You may have to (re)program the bootloader - which is described here:

https://github.com/mrehkopf/sd2snes/tree/develop/src

2) Building & programming the bootloader
The Makefile is prepared for JTAG programming using OpenOCD 0.4 and an FT2232
based USB-JTAG adapter.
Connect a JTAG cable to J401 (14-pin header). The pinout is printed on the
board. cd to src/bootldr and make && make program.

Offline josete2k

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2019, 11:54 PM »
I think that that word "clone" is refering to the main processor, not the card.

Offline mancyrix

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 07:19 AM »
Thanks Tomkeller,
it sure cannot be easily handled by me..........poor.

Anyway thanks for giving me insights.
also, just curious, why can it be easily firmware upgaded to the 1.8 firmware (with locked status now. i think), but cannot just flash to other ones............-_- :'(

@mancyrix
There is probably NO EASY solution. You may have to (re)program the bootloader - which is described here:

https://github.com/mrehkopf/sd2snes/tree/develop/src

2) Building & programming the bootloader
The Makefile is prepared for JTAG programming using OpenOCD 0.4 and an FT2232
based USB-JTAG adapter.
Connect a JTAG cable to J401 (14-pin header). The pinout is printed on the
board. cd to src/bootldr and make && make program.

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2019, 10:28 AM »
Normally the bootloader tells the SD2SNES to load the firmware from the sd card. It's not permanently flashed intro the card itself - that's why in the past you could change the firmware by replacing the firmware files on the sd card.

I assume: the 1.8 firmware somehow changed the bootloader and flashed the firmware somewhere onto the cart itself (probably just the main core, while the cores of the enhancement chips are still loaded from the sd card!?). So the new bootloader doesn't load the firmware from the sd card anymore, but instead loads it from the cart itself. That's why you stuck with 1.8.

But those are just assumptions since i don't know any of it for sure...

Offline FeverDrive

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 09:34 PM »
but still boot sucess and load games normal, can play fx games.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is not a "lock", this is only a warning about the manufacturing of this particular SD2SNES.

This is GOOD, it's good to identify the poorly manufactured SD2SNESes out there so you can ask for support/help to the corresponding parties. And also to know that sometimes the problems don't come from firmware but from crap chinese manufacturing. Also it means you have to sell this chinese made SD2SNES at a fair price.

This warning is a problem in the case you want to sell this SD2SNES passing it as a Krikzz manufactured one, and I assume you don't want to do this, right?  ;) ;)
And so I go fast.

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2019, 11:52 PM »
It's not just the message - he can't upgrade (or even downgrade) his firmware:

I have tried upgrade to 1.9.0, but it have no any result and still boot with same message “flash check error (clone?)” , and info show is still 1.8.0 firmware.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 06:42 AM »

Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is not a "lock", this is only a warning about the manufacturing of this particular SD2SNES.

This is GOOD, it's good to identify the poorly manufactured SD2SNESes out there so you can ask for support/help to the corresponding parties. And also to know that sometimes the problems don't come from firmware but from crap chinese manufacturing. Also it means you have to sell this chinese made SD2SNES at a fair price.

This warning is a problem in the case you want to sell this SD2SNES passing it as a Krikzz manufactured one, and I assume you don't want to do this, right?  ;) ;)

That is a good point but what if the actual manufacturers are worse than the Chinese ones? Take Retrotowers for example I have had nothing but frustration with their methods for years now and nothing has ever good has come from it. They were one of the most rushed quanity over quality makers I have ever come across and have not ruined just 1 but 2 of my physical orders I got from them.

The first is their attempt at the SD2 SNES I can first hand say they cannot even take time to put it together right as you see in the imgur link below...

https://imgur.com/a/NnivhjG

But however it gets much... much worse when they made my X5 GBA Everdrive. They firstly sent it to me with a really dodgy spring it was so dodgy that it eventually wouldn't stop springing the SD card out so I sent it back and they fixed it but did the back of my shell in I really cannot explain this result in words so make it out for yourself on what you think...

https://imgur.com/a/5iUPXh7

I can say they tightened the screws so tight that it was cracking the inner shell of the back so I had to loosen it as there was no space for it to breath for the bottom having a bit of breathing space where both parts of the plastic before the chip at the bottom is slotted into the GBA itself.

It kind of makes me glad I got the Chinese SD2 SNES and have used it for over 3 years to what I was given from them. It's a scary warning about it bricking the fake SD2 SNES so I likely won't attempt to go past 1.7.0 I think it has the required SA1, SDD1 implementation added via the recent updates and I am happy with it.

Though it's a shame this was added as I intended to use my Retro Towers one for the MSU1 CD quality feature and the Chinese one for all the other updates as you know it has no MSU1 inserted inside it.

I can also say as an official PAL gamer there is no such thing as SNES games running at 60HZ unless you have a dip switch or something that changes the CIC settings of the Super Nintendo.  I know for sure my games always ran at 50HZ and have never gone full screen.

(Okay I probably got that last one mixed up xDD)

I kind of like the idea of SNES games being widescreen as it looks good on TV's of that type these days but that's just me everyone is different on preferences and likes and the such.

And there's my 10 cents on this post.

Offline mancyrix

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 06:59 PM »

It kind of makes me glad I got the Chinese SD2 SNES and have used it for over 3 years to what I was given from them. It's a scary warning about it bricking the fake SD2 SNES so I likely won't attempt to go past 1.7.0 I think it has the required SA1, SDD1 implementation added via the recent updates and I am happy with it.

yup, take my case as an example, it is now being hard locked (or bricked) as v1.8 and no allow to up/downgrade,
....... if no solution , you shall consider before flashing v1.8 or up. ( i dunno if you direct upgrade to v1.9 will it have such lock..)

Offline mancyrix

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 07:04 PM »

unfortunately,  it not just a warning but is actually not allow the card being firmware upgrade/downgrade anymore since it up to v1.8 and having some "detection" of so-called clone card.
I still feel unwell for a card with diagnose test 100% perfect but being locked in this way with no absolute quality issues, and is a open source project based too.

but , if that is developer's intention, who can say more,........?

again, anyway i still paid more to another official one as mentioned....I think i have a say on my feeling, hopefully have some luck on any help....

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 08:17 PM »

unfortunately,  it not just a warning but is actually not allow the card being firmware upgrade/downgrade anymore since it up to v1.8 and having some "detection" of so-called clone card.
I still feel unwell for a card with diagnose test 100% perfect but being locked in this way with no absolute quality issues, and is a open source project based too.

but , if that is developer's intention, who can say more,........?

again, anyway i still paid more to another official one as mentioned....I think i have a say on my feeling, hopefully have some luck on any help....

A problem is this issue happened a few threads back on another page of this forum and it was clearly 1.8.0 that did it. I thankfully do not copy the entire directory from every update and just the important parts to keep the SD2SNES running.

I do recall when I updated a while ago without copying the entire updated folder the menu became garbled but after adding the entire directory copying it across everything went back to normal on it.

It was first noticed on October 8th 2018 - http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8227.0

Edit: I just noticed mine is indeed 1.8.0 but its got around the issue maybe because I mix stuff up and things?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:41 PM by Richardragon87 »

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 08:29 PM »
I don't know for sure, but it seems like this "flash check error" message only happens with the older Chinese builds of the Rev. E1 pcb (there was a problem with a bootloader bug with those too, i think). Newer Chinese ones are most of the time - but not always - Rev. F (since it is the last available Revision on the GitHub of ikari_01). So newer ones probably(!) aren't affected by this...

EDIT: Forget what i said - just saw in here, newer revisions are affected as well.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:33 PM by TomKeller »