Author Topic: Sd2snes firmware update issue / “flash check error (clone?)”  (Read 4055 times)

Offline josete2k

• View Profile
Re: Sd2snes firmware update issue / “flash check error (clone?)”
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 11:48 PM »
Mine's is E1 and it's fully working.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2019, 12:27 AM »
I don't know for sure, but it seems like this "flash check error" message only happens with the older Chinese builds of the Rev. E1 pcb (there was a problem with a bootloader bug with those too, i think). Newer Chinese ones are most of the time - but not always - Rev. F (since it is the last available Revision on the GitHub of ikari_01). So newer ones probably(!) aren't affected by this...

EDIT: Forget what i said - just saw in here, newer revisions are affected as well.

Guess I was just lucky... I guess?

https://imgur.com/a/qVS7s4v

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2019, 04:16 AM »
Seems like some Chinese versions do work with the 1.8.0 firmware without any problems... and others won't. You'll have to admit: it's really strange.

I just remembered vaguely reading a post from ikari_01 a while ago, talking about a buggy bootloader in some Rev. E1 SD2SNES from China - so i thought it could be a hint on what revisions may be affected. But now there seems to be no pattern...

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2019, 05:24 AM »
Seems like some Chinese versions do work with the 1.8.0 firmware without any problems... and others won't. You'll have to admit: it's really strange.

I just remembered vaguely reading a post from ikari_01 a while ago, talking about a buggy bootloader in some Rev. E1 SD2SNES from China - so i thought it could be a hint on what revisions may be affected. But now there seems to be no pattern...

I am certain my SD2SNES is a really old rev, it was likely that I don't copy the entire directory and just randomly take parts here and there that come out which haven't become part of the real hardware for example the 1.8.0 SDD1 mention isn't related to the official one.

Offline josete2k

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2019, 10:02 PM »
I don't know for sure, but it seems like this "flash check error" message only happens with the older Chinese builds of the Rev. E1 pcb (there was a problem with a bootloader bug with those too, i think). Newer Chinese ones are most of the time - but not always - Rev. F (since it is the last available Revision on the GitHub of ikari_01). So newer ones probably(!) aren't affected by this...

EDIT: Forget what i said - just saw in here, newer revisions are affected as well.

Me too XD

sd2snes https://imgur.com/gallery/wSz6RhI
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 10:22 PM by josete2k »

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2019, 10:05 PM »

Me too XD

https://imgur.com/gallery/Sk9xnPw

Sweet ^^ Also did the unacessable to public 1.10.1 release include the SDD1 implementation?

Offline josete2k

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2019, 10:22 PM »
Yes.

Offline mancyrix

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2019, 06:30 AM »

poor,but my card still no good result.  no matter what firmware/sd card put,  the sd2snes card will boot with that messages and hence no update any firmware.
so i think the card been locked when it say detected as clone.  now 1.8 cannot up/down firmware

Offline mancyrix

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2019, 06:46 AM »
if I was alerted for this, i believe i would not upgrade the card to v.18 , i never expected a result of being unable to downgrade.
At least if a way to revert back , or if the firmware update logs informing this then we are well deserved.
Especially an open project debatable items, i dun know if it is a right for a developer making those other manufacturer's card locked in this way.

anyway.  I just hope to see if any revert-able way, (besides jtag method)

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2019, 12:10 PM »
Just out of curiousity: what happens when you're trying to start your SD2SNES without any firmware on your sd card @mancyrix?

Offline mancyrix

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2019, 06:46 PM »
Just out of curiousity: what happens when you're trying to start your SD2SNES without any firmware on your sd card @mancyrix?

you got the point,

same......message appeared

........that means that check is injected into my board now.......and so, it detects somethings and it not allow any sdcard firmware update.. ......

i wonder if any method can force the card to update firmware .........-_-

Offline TomKeller

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2019, 07:10 PM »
Probably: none. It's like locking the door to a room and casting the keyhole with concrete afterwards... so you can't unlock the door. The only way to access the room would be via the window (which is the JTAG method) or by removing/replacing the whole door (which in this case means: replacing the FPGA - but you'll have to programm the bootloader in this case too).

But it's still a mystery to me, where inside the SD2SNES the whole 1.8.0 firmware was permanently flashed to - into the FPGAs own flash memory? Would it be big enough?

Offline josete2k

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2019, 11:56 PM »
You can remove the firmware.img file once you flashed the new firmware, so yes, firmware is stored in the flash chip.

Offline mancyrix

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2019, 06:17 AM »
actually i have test all kinds of firmware to put into sdcard, but no one will make diff,

becos, the thing now seems is,  even I not putting sdcard into board, the sfc boot up, and then that message must shown at first, saying "flash check error (clone?)"  , and if have sdcard with any firmware,  the result is just boot into main menu, and checked sys info, showing v1.8 only.  no matter i put 1.9, or some unofficial firmware e.g. 1.8/1.9 with sdd, etc..

seems is, firmware 1.8 already flashed into chips and as that firmware monitored hardware in a certain checks before it allow to flash the firmware from Sd card...

so i wonder , if then my card already no way to escape from v1.8....by soft method.  As i think jtag method is not possible at my side.

i really wish i have not flashed this v1.8 which silently adding such check without any pre-caution.  even i believe possible is developer's though is to ruin those"unofficial" sd2snes card, ........in this open source project.......

i just wish, if there is any secret method which can force to skip such check and allow to reflash the firmware .  personally, I can accept a warning shown for claiming the possible for such non offical cards quality issues (even diagnose test is perfect result tho...),  it shall still allow the user to change firmware, at least downgrade..... to escape from forcing a specific firmware version with no warning and choice.

I really not professional about open source meaning, but normal public not expect in this way i believe.

(anyway,  again,
just to remark: i own my another offical sd2snes card.....i appreciate this whole project and products)

Offline josete2k

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2019, 11:23 AM »
Have you tried to flash the diagnostics firmware?

https://sd2snes.de/blog/cool-stuff/sd2snes-diagnostics