Author Topic: Super Street Fighter 2 X3 Crash  (Read 1388 times)

Offline gaavoid

• View Profile
Super Street Fighter 2 X3 Crash
« on: December 19, 2018, 08:01 PM »
I’ve been using the X3 for about a month on a PAL Mega Drive 1 (revision VA6, I believe) that’s modded with a 3 way toggle switch for 50hz/60hz & English/Japanese. I’ve not noticed any issues until a few particular instances during Super Street Fighter 2. Happens on the European, Japanese and US ROMs, and on the best version of each ROM.

The differences between current versions of the Mega Everdrive state that the X7 has extended SSF2 mapper support and the X5 and X3 has partial support. I don’t know what that means so don’t know if this is what’s causing the issue.

Basically, the game will crash to a pink screen under the following circumstances (that I’ve found):

1. Playing as Ryu on any level against Cammy (single player and versus). Perform Haduken. Game crashes to pink screen when Cammy is hit by Haduken. Happens with both 3 button and 6 button controller.
Also getting kicked by Cammy seemed to crash the game after I missed with the Haduken.

2. Playing as Cammy with 6 button controller. Game crashes to pink screen when any kick button is pressed. Punches are fine and using a 3 button controller is fine with either kicks or punches.

When the game crashes the sound rings out constantly with the last sound of the game before the crash.

I’ve searched online for 2 days regarding info on this issue and have found nothing.
I don’t know if my X3 is faulty or this crash is expected with the limitations of that particular version of Mega Everdrive. Or maybe a bug that’s not been addressed?

Luckily, I have a physical version of the game (although I don’t have access to it at the moment).

Anyone know what’s going on here?

Offline gaavoid

• View Profile
Re: Super Street Fighter 2 X3 Crash
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 03:32 AM »
Update for for anyone needing a solution to this issue in the future.

Along with the crash in SSF2. The EverDrive/console also crashed at the beginning of the first level of Earthworm Jim.
After testing on 3 consoles which were all VA6 revisions (I think), I bought an older VA4 revision (also region modded).
These ROMs no longer crash using this console.

Hopefully a future update to the Mega Everdrive will make the VA6 completely compatible. I like the VA6 as it eliminates almost all presence of jailbars when using the right cable, but will continue with the VA4 for wider compatibility.

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 02:07 PM »
I have a VA6 console that runs these games fine with my X5. My system is US though. Maybe the issue is only with VA6 with a pal Master clock.

From wikipedia

System master clock rate:
53.693175 MHz (NTSC)
53.203424 MHz (PAL)

Master clock cycles per frame:
896,040 (NTSC)
1,067,040 (PAL)

Master clock cycles per scanline: 3420

Offline gaavoid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 02:32 PM »
Yeah all systems I tried were PAL. Two of them modded with a region switch. The other was just an unmodded VA6 I gave to my brother years ago. One had the extra port on the back but still crashed on these games. Maybe some VA6 models had the port and others didn’t? I didn’t open it up to check as it wasn’t mine.

Absolutely no problem playing them with the modded PAL VA4.

After checking on three consoles I really did think my EverDrive was at fault. It still is a bit, but glad I can now enjoy it fully.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 02:43 PM by gaavoid »

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 04:01 PM »
One last thing to note, I'm using OS 3.05 on my X5.

Offline gaavoid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 04:22 PM »
One last thing to note, I'm using OS 3.05 on my X5.
Ok. I’m using 3.06. I could try 3.05 on the VA6 to see if the OS is the issue.

I’ve just learned that there’s three different VA6 variants.
VA6, VA6.5 and VA6.8. So maybe only one of those is affected. Pretty sure mine is just VA6. That’s what it says on the motherboard.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 04:27 PM by gaavoid »

Offline onthewaveagain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 12:40 AM »
Hi, I went through the same conclusion re revision VA4 vs VA6.

I had exact same crash with a Pal modded VA6 and x5 on both Super Street Fighter II (crash with Cammy) and Earthworm Jim (First Level crash).
I just bought a Pal modded VA4 and the crash with Earthworm Jim is gone. It properly work now.
However I am still experiencing the crash with Super Street Fighter II.
Both are NTSC US roms. I tried playing by disabling the Magickey, I tried Playing the Pal rom, I tried trying forcing the console region... nothing worked
I am curious to understand were are the differences between our configuration because rev VA4 seems to have fixed your issue with SSFII and not for me …

Any idea ?

Offline gaavoid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 07:01 PM »
When I was trying to fix the issue on my VA6, I tried every version of the SSF2 ROM I could find; many of them wouldn’t even boot. The only ROM that worked was the one from the good set (or whatever it’s called) which I think is the same ROM as the ‘no-intro’ one, but would always crash when using Cammy. So maybe try a different ROM to eliminate that being the issue.

My set up is literally just everything as default on the latest OS version with the Mega folder hidden and ROMs sorted alphabetically in three separate folders.

I’ve since sold that VA4 and I’m using a model 2 VA4 (also region modded - going to swap the crystal oscillator so it’s true NTSC spec).
The reason I sold it was because I’d get an SD error every few times I reset the console while playing Master System ROMs. Not a major issue but it was annoying me. Tried multiple SD cards of varying sizes and brands. It was like it was trying to load the OS too quickly. I don’t know if other non-TMSS versions have this issue.

Hopefully you can resolve the issue. The only other thing I can think it might be is a capacitor issue somewhere on your Mega Drive, which I also think could have been the cause of the issue I had on my model 1 VA4. Sega used cheap components in their consoles so it wouldn’t surprise anyone if that’s where the problem is.
It’s even possible that there’s differences between the same version mainboard. Many of the model 2 versions have different video encoders even on the same revision. Can be dependant on what factory it was manufactured in (China, Taiwan etc). There’s so many revisions of the Mega Drive and many variations of components within those revisions, it’s no wonder sometimes the EverDrive has issues like this.