Author Topic: Super Everdrive X5 + special chip slots  (Read 1036 times)

Offline zedorda

• View Profile
Super Everdrive X5 + special chip slots
« on: July 04, 2020, 11:36 AM »
Is there a reason there wan't any empty slots left for special chips to be added later, on the X5? Because it would of been awesome if there was some. I could honestly say I would consider it near perfect if it had.

I recently purchased the Super Everdrive V5 and I am happy with that purchase which I researched and choose on purpose. But I do have to say it seems like a no-brainer to have empty slots for at least some of the special chips to be added by end-users to improve functionality. Unless there is some obstacle like licencing in the way. I mean empty sockets can't be all that expensive to add. Other than the programming to allow for the implementation on demand, which might be a problem.

I am a collector of retro gaming gear or better to say re-collector. I had a huge Sega, NES, SNES, TG16, plus mobiles collection back 25 years ago. Decided to sell it on auction when I had my first kid. Needed the room and the money. Well now they are grown and the money is ours(yeah wife is still here) she is allowing me to recreate my gaming collection. That was after the new bedroom set and car for her first.
Well I am a cheap SOB when it comes to my stuff. So I found the Super Retro Trio 3 as a good starting point of my setup. Since I am not one of those "100% original equipment, RGB color perfect purist" but I have enough emulation devices. I just want to have fun and play these games like I did as a kid. I find the Super Retro Trio 3 to fit the purpose of this analog bracket, so to speak. Where I am concerned is latency and is why I saved the 32 inch CRT TV from my old gaming setup and picked the RetroBit system with just AV/S-Video connections. The EverDrive X5 allows me to only require the purchase of afew special carts to fullfill my ability to play everything I want minus the known list. Which honestly is OK since you are saving me alot of money since the SNES is one of the retro systems getting alot of focus making the prices skyrocket as of late.

But I still wonder why?

Thanks for any enlightenment
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 11:45 AM by zedorda »

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
Re: Super Everdrive X5 + special chip slots
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 06:57 PM »
Krikzz said when he released it that the SD2SNES (FXPak) was already out there to serve the games that required special chips so there was no point in him releasing the version that could accommodate the special chips any longer.

Offline zedorda

• View Profile
Re: Super Everdrive X5 + special chip slots
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 07:02 AM »
That is just an excuse not a reason. Since you can say it the other way around just as validly.

That the SD2SNES (FXPak) was already out there to serve the games that required special chips so there was no point to include the chips on the new release.

Because it is cheaper to not make a new design of the PCB and just leave the slots empty. But I bet the reason that will likely not be admitted to is profit. There was enough profit to force people into buying the FXPak that he invested into a new PCB design. Because you can source the chips easily. I have enough surplus carts to salvage the needed chips.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 07:04 AM by zedorda »