Author Topic: [NOOB GUIDE] TurboED (v1 and v2.X) + Doujindance-modded PC Engine DUO-R  (Read 28101 times)

Offline Yardley

• View Profile
I wanted to say that I purchased a modded Duo-R from Doujindance and it has been working perfectly. He has completely changed the way he does his mods and they look clean and well done now. The packaging was great and he sent many videos explaining different things including a video of him testing my system before shipping it. I would definitely recommend purchasing from him.

Offline PsychoFox

• View Profile
Re: [NOOB GUIDE] TurboED (v1 and v2.X) + Doujindance-modded PC Engine DUO-R
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2018, 01:43 AM »
I also wanted to say that the new consoles from Doujindance are fine. I got one last week, and it works with my Turbo Everdrive 2.5 perfectly.

This is the second system I've bought from Doijindance. The first was modded for S-Video/SCART as well as region. I've never had a problem with it, it still works great, and my Turbo Everdrive V1 works great with it too. However I know the build quality wasn't as good back then, with the insides being a lot of plastic and wires etc. that looked a bit sloppy, and weren't the best methods. Honestly though I never would have suspected a thing myself from using it, it's been fine. If the colors aren't perfect, I'm slightly colorblind and a slight variation wouldn't stand out to me, but anything big would. I also don't have an issue with blue, just red and green. Friends never saw an issue with the colors but we weren't testing with meters either.

My new system is modded for Component output as well as SCART, and of course region. It uses one of those component cables that has a box with some circuitry in it to go from RGB to component, similar to the HD Retrovision cables for other systems. Both systems are Duo-Rs. The new one has much nicer boards that are branded with the seller's name and the overall build quality just seems much higher.

In my testing, I've found:

Doujindance system from a few years ago - Turbo Everdrive V1 works great, Turbo Everdrive v2.5 is too flaky to work. 1st try was white screen, second try let me pick a game (thought maybe I was lucky), but then the video went all weird upon launch.

Doujindance system bought last week - both Turbo Everdrive V1 and V2.5 work flawlessly

I hope this helps! I think you should consider changing the message in the topic, to note that this may not apply to newer systems. Of course you can't guarantee compatibility with any mod, just as Doujindance doesn't guarantee compatibility with any flash cart, but unless someone is buying a Doujindance mod second hand nowadays, I don't think the warning really applies.

Offline RetroRGB

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2018, 04:25 PM »
Can you post pictures of the new mods?  I've seen a few pics and the new work seemed fine, but pics are always better. 

Also, I mean no disrespect by saying this, but saying "the console works fine" is what lead to hundreds of people buying consoles that were one step away from destroyed.  When it comes to console modding, it's best to post pictures and measurements (if applicable).  If we're all better nerds about this stuff, we'll all end up with better consoles :)

...oh and you should consider having your original modded console looked at by a pro.  They can still be restored and most of the damage can be reversed.

Offline Yardley

• View Profile

Offline PsychoFox

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2018, 05:50 PM »
Can you post pictures of the new mods?  I've seen a few pics and the new work seemed fine, but pics are always better. 

Also, I mean no disrespect by saying this, but saying "the console works fine" is what lead to hundreds of people buying consoles that were one step away from destroyed.  When it comes to console modding, it's best to post pictures and measurements (if applicable).  If we're all better nerds about this stuff, we'll all end up with better consoles :)

...oh and you should consider having your original modded console looked at by a pro.  They can still be restored and most of the damage can be reversed.

Video above covers the mod well (thanks). I was going to add that I'm sure there's still things that many people would do differently if modding one themselves, everyone has their own preferences they swear by there. I've also seen plenty of cases where something reported as destroying consoles is actually not that big of a deal (like the big report regarding the voltage of everdrives - I've yet to have one harm a system, and I have at least one for each system they are made for (if you count SD2SNES as one).

My old one isn't damaged, as mentioned it still works fine, and was bought years ago. Granted, I don't play it every day, or even every month, but it gets used. As it stands, I have 2, so whichever dies first, the other is the backup! I have one everdrive that works in each of them too, so I'm pretty good to go. I'm gonna stick with the component cable and TED 2.5 in most cases though. Better picture, newer mod, and newer faster loading TED.

Not saying the old mod didn't have issues, just that I haven't encountered any in my time owning it. In the end, I'd rather have a region modded one with better video output that works with the TED, and might burn out young, than a perfect un-modded one. I don't think that would be the case with the new mod, but I'm no expert on the intricacies of modding - I follow guides to solder my own,  and I buy mods, but rarely understand all the science under it cause that's just not my main area of interest, and I trust others to point out any issues, cause there are people that get this stuff way better than me.  I might some day look into one with only a video mod as well, since the region mod isn't as necessary. I need to get my first CDI and 3DO systems before I look into a 3rd PCE though :)

For now, all I can report for sure is that I've been playing the TED 2.5 (and the V1 shortly) on the new mod and have encountered no problems at all, while the TED 2.5 on my old mod either fails to boot or crashes when booting a game. The V1 is fine on both.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 05:57 PM by PsychoFox »

Offline IrishNinja

• Half-man, half-amazing
  • The flowers are still standing
    • View Profile
    • Hondo's Bar
damn...yeah, i have an older doujindace duo-r (had trouble with discs for a while too, keith courage was a big help there!) - it worked with my last roommate's older turbo everdrive, but this 2.0 just got here and regardless of setting, the games glitch/lock.  looking to have this fix done locally soon, thanks OP!