Author Topic: PS2 - WRITING BACKUP ISO  (Read 15213 times)

Offline TonyN

• View Profile
PS2 - WRITING BACKUP ISO
« on: October 12, 2013, 02:58 PM »
Hi, I hope this is the correct forum for this question & this question is allowed - I am advised that in the UK you are allowed one backup for each game you own.

My Grandson has backed up his PS2 games in order to avoid damage to the originals & he gave me a pen drive with his favourites on asking me to burn them onto DVD for him, his is broken. But whatever software I use I cannot get them to run on a modded PS2.  The original DVDs run ok.
Here is what I have tried, I placed iso on my PC, check in 'properties' that it is an iso, then tried Imgburn, Alcohol 120, and a couple of others.
All burning  software says written OK - but modded PS2 tells me to put a PS2 DVD in??  Please advise.  Thanks

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
Re: PS2 - WRITING BACKUP ISO
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 04:59 PM »
what "mod" are you using mate? i have 2 ps2's (1 swap magic + 1 test debug) might b able 2 help, also what prog did he use to back-up his games? and whats broken? a snap shot of whats on the pendrive will help aswell..
but off hand i use imgburn and DVD-R discs, always burn at the lowest possible speed!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 05:06 PM by dvd2vcd »
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline TonyN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 07:15 PM »
Hi, thanks for your reply. The PS2 was mod chipped when new - many years ago.
Just ordered some Verbatim DVDs, people seem to suggest that the make of DVD can make a difference.
But, having said that ALL his wii backups of his wii games, using same DVDs and software play 100% every time.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 08:27 PM »
Sometimes, it depends on the modchip, too. Because of security protocols, depending on how you power on your console, you enable or disable the modchip.

Most modchips just have you simply press power for standard use with the modchip in enable mode. Pressing eject to power your console from standby puts the modchip in disable mode (for playing retail games with online capabilities). Powering on the console with the power button held for 5 seconds allows for "stealth" PSOne mode. This is how it was with my PS2 modchip. If you know what's installed in the PS2, you may have to Google how to do enable/disable procedures for it.

Verbatim discs, usually the gold standard for game backups, are great. But I've used Sony, Memorex, and TDK discs with no hiccups at all. DVD-R's, again, are standard, but I've used DVD+R's with absolutely no problems whatsoever. The last backup I made was over 6 years ago with a +R disc, and still today it plays with no problem.

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 12:11 AM »
Sounds like the PS2 laser could be losing ability, which is quite common...assuming everything you've stated is indeed correct. Or, as goombakid stated, the modchip isn't being activated correctly, or possibly the wiring of the modchip is no longer connected properly.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 12:14 AM by JimmyMz »
Nothing for sale right now, but more stuff coming soon. Message me on this forum by clicking the envelope icon under my name.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 12:52 AM »
ps2 lasers take there toll reading backups but more likely a modchip failure, personally i wouldnt even try to check the wiring (usually about 18 or 20 wires for ps2 modchips) i had a chipped ps2 back in the day "matrix infinity" to my knowledge it wasnt very stable and easily burnt out, today the way to go is swap magic (no modchip or soldering) or grab yourself a test debug which are kinda pricey nowadays :( can i ask why you decided to use backups now after having a modded ps2 for years?
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline TonyN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 01:25 PM »
Many thanks for the pointers and help.  Strange thing is his ps2 belonged to his dad and has been wrapped up in the loft for about four years, so has not been extensively used. It still plays ALL backups which were made for it before it hibernated into the loft.

This seems to suggest it is the backups which are at fault, does it not?

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 06:22 PM »
It could just be the rip of the disc. You may just consider downloading a "scene" rip and burn those.

Offline TonyN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 05:44 PM »
Thanks for reply, can you explain - I am new to this  :-[

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 07:18 PM »
TonyN: Check your PMs

Before venturing the route I mentioned in the PM, you may try several things:

Switch out media type (+R for -R or vice versa, Verbatim brand for Sony brand, etc.)
Use lowest possible speed for burning
re-rip the PS2 discs

Offline TonyN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 01:55 PM »
Many thanks to you all, which software are you presuming I am using and I will change these settings.
Up to now I have tried..... three desktops, one laptop, three types of DVD and three lots of software.
The PS2 was modchipped (we are not using software mod) when the PS2 came out some years ago and runs ALL backups made about three years ago, and ALL original games - but NO backups that I make  >:(     
In order to determine if it is the isos I have downloaded several, responding to games we own already, from iso sites and they won't run either.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm? ???

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 04:28 AM »
Dunno if it makes much difference, but are you PAL or NTSC region?

Otherwise, I'm not sure what to tell you. Sorry. :(

Offline cyBORG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 12:03 AM »
Have you considered trying something like Free McBoot?

-Install Free McBoot (I used the James Bond game method)
-ESR patch iso of game, burn image
-go!

Offline TonyN

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 01:09 PM »
Hi there and again, thanks for all your help and advice in the past.

Story so far:: still unable to run legit backups on modchipped PS2 - bought a another modchipped PS2, some backups run - MOST don'  >:(
Plan B:  my ps2 has a network adaptor and I have added a HDD inside the PS2. I have formatted it for ps2 and placed a few legit backups on it.
BUT -  I have not got the software skills OR TIME (not to mention the confusing advice on Youtube) to use FreeMcBoot and memory card exploits etc etc etc  :(

Can anybody tell me if HDAdvance would do the job?  That is to say - just load HDAdvance and pick game a  off my PS2 HDD?
If not, is there any simple way of achieving that?

once again, thanks in anticipation.

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 04:03 PM »
I have a fair bit of EXp in this (Modded PS2 runing HDloader and games off an internal hard drive)

Ifi ts DVD-rs you need to get hold of some "Ritek" ones,

HD advance should work, im waiting for a mate of mine to get his arse in gear and send me his "Free Mcboot" memory card to get copied (Need a chipped one to do it) then I can do away with discs
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny