Author Topic: GBA .sav to .fla  (Read 391 times)

Offline cdragowski96

• View Profile
GBA .sav to .fla
« on: October 11, 2020, 04:54 AM »
So I just bought a GBA X5 about 3 months ago.
Great product.  ;)
But, I've previously used PC or Android emulators for all my emulating (mostly Pokémon) and I'd like to move all those saves to my X5.
The Pokémon games (ie. Emerald) use 128k flash, and are written as backups by the Everdrive as .fla files. No other save type loads with the roms and when changing rom settings for a new game, the rom itself will not accept any save type other than 128k flash. If I want to use the saves written BY the Everdrive, I can move them to my PC, rename them as .sav files and voila, I have loadable saves for Visual Boy Advance or what have you.
My issue is converting .sav, specifically Visual Boy Advance .sav's, back into a readable format for the Everdrive. I'm aware of the "write to sram" function of Everdrive, but it doesn't recognize the .sav as writable flash memory when I view it on the cart. And every time I try to rename the save to .fla on my PC it keeps it's file extension, for example "Pokémon Emerald.fla.sav." I'm not sure if this would be a question that is more suited for a Goomba forum, but figured I could ask here considering how helpful and knowledgeable everyone seems. I'm assuming there's some sort of block or marker on .sav files that won't allow them to converted into .fla, or maybe it's my PC or Windows. IDK, but everywhere I look I find no solution to this specific issue.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Cdragowski :)

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
Re: GBA .sav to .fla
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 11:33 AM »
just remove the .sav at the end

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 09:12 PM »
Have you changed so that Windows doesn't hide the file extensions? Windows hides them by default for some reason, making it harder to change them.
https://www.howtohaven.com/system/show-file-extensions-in-windows-explorer.shtml

Offline cdragowski96

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 11:14 PM »
That is exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you nuu. No matter what I did I couldn't change file extensions. Turns out windows 10 creates file associations and then you're unable to access the extensions. Although in the mean time I learned that my smartphone file viewer can change them, so that'll come in handy if something else goes wrong. Thanks for the replies and help! ;D