Author Topic: Questions about Everdrive 2.5 & SD Cards  (Read 928 times)

Online rlstine

• View Profile
Questions about Everdrive 2.5 & SD Cards
« on: July 27, 2020, 05:39 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Everdrive forums, and this is my first post. I apologize sincerely if this is the wrong place to post this, but I have some questions about the Everdrive and am confused by some of the info in the forum stickeys. Basically, I'm wondering what the primary differences between Everdrive 2.5 and x7 are (other than save battery & USB port). For casual play, is the 2.5 good enough? I'm also wondering how exactly ROMs are added. Would I add them to an SD card from my computer (I use a Mac) and then insert the SD card into the Everdrive? How much space should the SD card have to contain everything, and what type of SD card will I need? Also, is there anything I need to know before purchasing an Everdrive? If it helps, my N64 is the NTSC version. I'm interested in using the Everdrive to back up my collection, play other region N64 games (mostly from Japan, such as Animal Crossing) and also fan-made ROMs.

Thank you all very much in advance for any advice!

Edit 7/28

Thanks for your help everyone! I went ahead and purchased a v2.5 for now, and I have some other questions about SD cards. From what I've seen, it looks like the most recent v2.5 carts actually use microSD instead of SD? The site I bought mine from (Everdrive.Me) confirmed this and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the new carts? I can't find any info online, just guides and reviews for the older version, and I want to make sure I get a compatible SD card for it. Anyone with the microSD card v2.5 have any good recommendations for brand/storage size? I've read certain cards don't work well for the Everdrive, so I'm hoping to find one that will!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 10:11 PM by rlstine »

Offline supersign

• View Profile
Re: Questions about Everdrive 2.5 & x7
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 07:25 PM »
Hi & welcome,
what the primary differences between Everdrive 2.5 and x7 are (other than save battery & USB port). For casual play, is the 2.5 good enough?
The 2.5 lacks RTC, so Animal Crossing is not supported nor is Pokemon Stadium 2 due to memory issues. Also you need to reset your N64 everytime you want to save progress. The x7 will able to play them both without issues.

I'm also wondering how exactly ROMs are added. Would I add them to an SD card from my computer (I use a Mac) and then insert the SD card into the Everdrive?
Yep, you drag/copy the files into the SD card as normal.

How much space should the SD card have to contain everything, and what type of SD card will I need?
I'd say 32GB covers all regions, protos/beta games & romhacks.

Also, is there anything I need to know before purchasing an Everdrive? If it helps, my N64 is the NTSC version. I'm interested in using the Everdrive to back up my collection, play other region N64 games (mostly from Japan, such as Animal Crossing) and also fan-made ROMs.
As I mentioned before, the x7 (or the v3) is the only way if you want to play Animal Crossing on the N64. Otherwise that's pretty much it. Also I recommend MultiPatch if you want patch games on a Mac.

And the Everdrive may not automatically recognize the saving of some games & romhacks. That's easily fixed by adding a simple value to the save_db.txt. More info here.
My backup of Saturnus' ED64 tools for v2 & v3 ED's

Online rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 08:01 PM »
Thanks so much, supersign. This is all really helpful info, and I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. It sounds like the x7 is the preferred cart, even if I won't use the cart's USB port or dev features? Does the save feature on the Everdrive x7 work the same way it would on a standard N64 cart? Is the "reset to save" on the 2.5 a big pain in the butt, or worth it to save some cash on a budget?

Offline supersign

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 08:14 PM »
It sounds like the x7 is the preferred cart, even if I won't use the cart's USB port or dev features?
Don't worry about that.

Does the save feature on the Everdrive x7 work the same way it would on a standard N64 cart?
Yes. Of course you still need a Controller Pak for those that needed one.

Is the "reset to save" on the 2.5 a big pain in the butt, or worth it to save some cash on a budget?
It's a habit you need to develop, I guess. I remember some people streamed some N64 games on Twitch.tv and they forgot to reset to save their game. Also I remember another stream where they're playing Ocarina of Time Randomizer on a ED 2.5 cart and it crashed due to some randomizer-related bug, not the Everdrive. They forgot to reset so the progress was lost.

But I think the x7 is worth it. You're welcome.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 02:42 AM by supersign »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 01:48 PM »
The "reset to save" have one advantage in that you can actually choose not to save by turning the system off. But in general it's a pain in the butt since you loose the whole play session if the game hangs (happened several times for me) or if there is power outage. Saving often in a game has no advantage since it doesn't truly save until you reset the system.

I didn't find it hard to develop the habit to reset though. It's not that much different from the habit of holding reset when turning off a NES or Famicom with a game that saves.

my N64 is the NTSC version. I'm interested in using the Everdrive to back up my collection, play other region N64 games (mostly from Japan, such as Animal Crossing) and also fan-made ROMs.
Both NTSC regions have identical hardware, so you shouldn't have any problems with Japanese or US games. PAL games on the other hand may not work as expected. PAL versions of games are generally inferior though, and PAL-exclusives are few.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 01:51 PM by nuu »

Offline supersign

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 03:50 PM »
Both NTSC regions have identical hardware, so you shouldn't have any problems with Japanese or US games.
The only obstacle is the cartridge slot. I know the ED cart is universal, but there is a convenient universal 3D-printed slot that gives it a nice factory look so you don't have to mess with the stock one.

Online rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 04:32 PM »
The "reset to save" have one advantage in that you can actually choose not to save by turning the system off. But in general it's a pain in the butt since you loose the whole play session if the game hangs (happened several times for me) or if there is power outage. Saving often in a game has no advantage since it doesn't truly save until you reset the system.

I didn't find it hard to develop the habit to reset though. It's not that much different from the habit of holding reset when turning off a NES or Famicom with a game that saves.

Thank you! Yeah, I ultimately decided the reset to save issue wasn't a big deal for me (and I already own Stadium 2 & Animal Crossing) so I went with the new v2.5 to save a little money. I'm really excited to try it out, and am looking into SD cards now. I might start a new topic if nobody knows the answer here, but it looks like the most recent v2.5 carts actually use microSD instead of SD? The site I bought mine from (Everdrive.Me) confirmed this and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the new carts? I can't find any info online, just guides and reviews for the older version, and I want to make sure I get a compatible SD card for it.

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 08:05 PM »

[/quote]

Thank you! Yeah, I ultimately decided the reset to save issue wasn't a big deal for me (and I already own Stadium 2 & Animal Crossing) so I went with the new v2.5 to save a little money. I'm really excited to try it out, and am looking into SD cards now. I might start a new topic if nobody knows the answer here, but it looks like the most recent v2.5 carts actually use microSD instead of SD? The site I bought mine from (Everdrive.Me) confirmed this and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the new carts? I can't find any info online, just guides and reviews for the older version, and I want to make sure I get a compatible SD card for it.
[/quote]

Most of the microSD cards I have bought have an SD adapter with them so that covers both. I personally like the Sandisk cards for my everdrives but I think some people have had issues with them. currently my v2.5 I bought last Black Friday is using a Sandisk MicroSD in an SD adapter

Online rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 01:13 AM »

Most of the microSD cards I have bought have an SD adapter with them so that covers both. I personally like the Sandisk cards for my everdrives but I think some people have had issues with them. currently my v2.5 I bought last Black Friday is using a Sandisk MicroSD in an SD adapter

Okay, that's good to know. The Everdrive.Me folks recommended either a Sandisk or Samsung EVO. Do you remember what kind of Sandisk you got? I was looking at a list earlier and I guess there are a couple of different choices ("ultra" or "gold" etc.) for each GB size.

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 07:04 AM »

Okay, that's good to know. The Everdrive.Me folks recommended either a Sandisk or Samsung EVO. Do you remember what kind of Sandisk you got? I was looking at a list earlier and I guess there are a couple of different choices ("ultra" or "gold" etc.) for each GB size.

Sandisk Ultra 32GB is what I am using currently

Offline Grizzmeister

• View Profile
Re: Questions about Everdrive 2.5 & SD Cards
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 02:42 PM »
Here's what I use.

Holds the entire N64 library along with several hacks with plenty of room to spare.

BTW, I had to take my ED-64 v2.5 PCB out of its shell because it was causing the pins to not make clean contact. Haven't had any problems since.

Offline supersign

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 03:51 PM »
Here's what I use...
I had to use 32GB after my 16GB filled up with a big chunk of Zelda, GoldenEye & Perfect Dark hacks, most of the US with their alternate versions, some JP, a few PAL ones, public domain, homebrew, prototypes...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 05:21 PM by supersign »

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 06:48 PM »
Here's what I use...
I had to use 32GB after my 16GB filled up with a big chunk of Zelda, GoldenEye & Perfect Dark hacks, most of the US with their alternate versions, some JP, a few PAL ones, public domain, homebrew, prototypes...

This is me too. I probably have some duplicates of hacks though, by accident/bad naming conventions on my part

Online rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 08:21 PM »
Here's what I use.

You needed to take the case off for it to fit in the console? Is that a common issue with ED carts?

Thanks to you both supersign and zaphro, I will definitely go with the 32GB! Only a couple bucks more and I figure better to have the space than not.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 08:23 PM by rlstine »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 11:16 PM »
Not very common in my experience, and I have quite a few Everdrives for different systems. I can't speak for ED64 v2.5 though as I have the old v2 which uses a donor cartridge case and CIC. It's quite crudely made though as the SD card (non-micro) can miss the card slot and fall into the case if not inserted carefully. Most of my other Everdrives don't have this problem though.

You can't fit the entire N64 library in 16GB. It takes at least 20GB. I also use a 32GB card which can hold the entire N64 library and still have plenty of space left for hacks, save files, Aleck64 games and 64DD games.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 12:26 PM by nuu »