Author Topic: Sd2snes sound problems in fx games  (Read 800 times)

Offline yo77elunico

• View Profile
Sd2snes sound problems in fx games
« on: August 01, 2020, 05:43 AM »
Hi!
I have two problems with the cartridge:

1- It emits a constant buzz with my snes Pal 1chip.

2- With the Fx games there are sound failures (the video is perfect). For example, I have original Star Wing and when playing the rom in sd2snes the sound has faults that its original version does not have. The same thing happens to me in games like Doom.

I include video of the problem, In Doom part the tictictic is too annoying:
https://youtu.be/eDE3nt5geoY

Can you think of something?

Thanks, greetings!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 10:00 PM by yo77elunico »

Online nuu

• View Profile
Re: Sd2snes sound problems in fx games
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 01:45 PM »
1. What audio/video cable are you using? Cheap RGB cables will cause a buzzing sound, especially with the SD2SNES which might be causing more noise. Try a standard composite cable, or a quality RGB cable with proper shielding.

2. This is weird because the FX-chip isn't producing the sound, the S-APU is.
Just to make sure, you are testing the PAL version of the clean roms (Star Wing not Star Fox) on your PAL console right?
Which version of the SD2SNES do you have? They were talking about bypassing the S-APU and use an FPGA-made S-APU in the Pro (God forbid), but I don't know if that's been implemented yet. Hopefully it will just be an option for using save states.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 09:34 PM »
Hi!

2- With the Fx games there are sound failures (the video is perfect). For example, I have original Star Wing and when playing the rom in sd2snes the sound has faults that its original version does not have. The same thing happens to me in games like Doom.

Thanks, greetings!

Sounds like the same issue as mine. The best way to check is to try out Star Ocean if the audio is cracking and looping in the dialogue as you say it's a common issue for sure.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline yo77elunico

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 06:04 PM »
1. What audio/video cable are you using? Cheap RGB cables will cause a buzzing sound, especially with the SD2SNES which might be causing more noise. Try a standard composite cable, or a quality RGB cable with proper shielding.

2. This is weird because the FX-chip isn't producing the sound, the S-APU is.
Just to make sure, you are testing the PAL version of the clean roms (Star Wing not Star Fox) on your PAL console right?
Which version of the SD2SNES do you have? They were talking about bypassing the S-APU and use an FPGA-made S-APU in the Pro (God forbid), but I don't know if that's been implemented yet. Hopefully it will just be an option for using save states.

Hi!

Thanks, greetings!

Sounds like the same issue as mine. The best way to check is to try out Star Ocean if the audio is cracking and looping in the dialogue as you say it's a common issue for sure.

I use the official Nintendo AV cable; My snes is Pal, but he tested both the Star Wing star and the Star Fox star. As I comment, the Bug also occurs in Doom.

I just tried Stunt Race FX and have not noticed Bug in this game.

In other games with chips that are not FX there is no type of failure.

The firmware is version 1.10.3

He also tried Star Ocean as the companion indicates, and has the sound faults that the comment, made a video showing both Star Wing, Doom and Star Ocean so that they understand me better; an almost constant "tic tic tic tic" is heard, very marked for example in Doom.

I leave you the link:

Greetings and thank you!

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 10:17 PM »
I use the official Nintendo AV cable; My snes is Pal, but he tested both the Star Wing star and the Star Fox star. As I comment, the Bug also occurs in Doom.

I just tried Stunt Race FX and have not noticed Bug in this game.

In other games with chips that are not FX there is no type of failure.

The firmware is version 1.10.3

He also tried Star Ocean as the companion indicates, and has the sound faults that the comment, made a video showing both Star Wing, Doom and Star Ocean so that they understand me better; an almost constant "tic tic tic tic" is heard, very marked for example in Doom.

I leave you the link:

Greetings and thank you!

Oh wow I completely forgot how bad the screen crunch was on those FX games, it was kind of less jarring on the SNES Classic but still noticeable. I myself have a PAL SNES too and that audio issue is the same as mine as I have the word "Man" looping twice on Star Oceans intro along with those other issues. This ticking is only in Doom and Star Ocean as it seems the SD2SNES replicates the chip used but can't match it up to the original. If the original cart wasn't so expensive for Star Ocean I'd love to see if it was my PAL SNES struggling with the audio samples but if this is the case the SFC games called EMIT (Time in reverse) and it's volumes would have no audio coming from the samples and they don't appear to be functioning on the SD2SNES either though I recall they had dialogue on other platforms and maybe the SNES didn't have them to begin with. I tried another game called Emerald Dragon and it has no issues with the audio samples so it must be something with the real hardware running the flash carts.

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Online nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 12:28 AM »
I hear that stuttering in Star Ocean, but it's an NTSC game, so we can't be sure it's not the same with the real cart.

I have Star Fox (NTSC-J) so I can test and compare with my SD2SNES.

The SNES S-APU doesn't have any synthetic PSG channels, it's all samples. If samples didn't work you wouldn't hear anything at all.
The reason EMIT doesn't have all sound is because the missing sound is played from a CD-player, not the SNES.

Online nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 09:27 PM »
I tried Star Fox and compared. I don't hear that buzzing/ticking sound on either the real cart or the SD2SNES, they sound identical to me.
Maybe it's noise caused by something else. What power supply are you using? You may want to try one with around 1A output, because the SD2SNES is power hungry. Make sure polarity and voltage are the same as the OEM power supply so you don't fry the SNES.

I also tested Star Ocean using the SD2SNES on both NTSC and PAL SNES systems. On the PAL system it has the same kind of stuttering or looping as in your video, but on the NTSC system it sounds like it should. I'm sure it's a PAL timing issue and not the SD2SNES, you need an NTSC system to play this game on.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 11:08 PM »
I tried Star Fox and compared. I don't hear that buzzing/ticking sound on either the real cart or the SD2SNES, they sound identical to me.
Maybe it's noise caused by something else. What power supply are you using? You may want to try one with around 1A output, because the SD2SNES is power hungry. Make sure polarity and voltage are the same as the OEM power supply so you don't fry the SNES.

I also tested Star Ocean using the SD2SNES on both NTSC and PAL SNES systems. On the PAL system it has the same kind of stuttering or looping as in your video, but on the NTSC system it sounds like it should. I'm sure it's a PAL timing issue and not the SD2SNES, you need an NTSC system to play this game on.

That's weird because if it was a PAL issue wouldn't the dialogue go faster than the length of the NTSC speed they had. For example when playing Street Fighter Alpha 2 on a PAL SNES the music at the start finishes way faster than the FMV intro scene... I heard this was fixed on Super Mario RPG by a rom hack patch but I don't know about Star Ocean to know why that happens.

Post changed:

Online nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 12:28 PM »
NTSC/PAL timing issues may cause all kinds of strange problems from graphical glitches and sound problems to game crashes and not booting, or it may even be multi-region compatible. It depends on how the game is designed.

Offline yo77elunico

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 09:54 PM »
My snes power supply is original. He also tried another, and the same problem continues.

The strange thing is that I have that original Pal game, and with the original I don't hear that sound failure which I do hear with the Pal rom.

Regards!!

Online nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 02:10 AM »
The SD2SNES uses more power than the original cartridge.

You may want to try one with around 1A output, because the SD2SNES is power hungry. Make sure polarity and voltage are the same as the OEM power supply so you don't fry the SNES.

The original SNES power supply may be a bit too weak for the SD2SNES. If you have the PAL Mega Drive model 1 (NOT model 2) power supply you could try that, as it has the correct specs and 1A power output (don't think that you can use your SNES power supply on a Mega Drive or Japanese Super Famicom though, it will fry the console).

I did actually test Star Wing with my SD2SNES on a PAL SNES which had the original power supply, and I didn't hear any audio artifacts, but it might be your power supply that has aged worse.

Offline yo77elunico

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 12:29 PM »
The SD2SNES uses more power than the original cartridge.

You may want to try one with around 1A output, because the SD2SNES is power hungry. Make sure polarity and voltage are the same as the OEM power supply so you don't fry the SNES.

The original SNES power supply may be a bit too weak for the SD2SNES. If you have the PAL Mega Drive model 1 (NOT model 2) power supply you could try that, as it has the correct specs and 1A power output (don't think that you can use your SNES power supply on a Mega Drive or Japanese Super Famicom though, it will fry the console).

I did actually test Star Wing with my SD2SNES on a PAL SNES which had the original power supply, and I didn't hear any audio artifacts, but it might be your power supply that has aged worse.

As I comment I have tried two different official chargers, and none of them improves the gaming experience, so I don't think that's that problem.

edit: the connection pin between Mega Drive 1 and Snes Pal are different and does not fit.

Regards!!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 01:59 PM by yo77elunico »

Online nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 08:10 PM »
But you never said what specs the other power supply had.

Oh ok, some PAL SNES systems seems to have a different plug from Mega Drive 1. The one I tried with had the Mega Drive 1 plug size.

Offline yo77elunico

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 10:42 PM »
Anyway I got a power charger with characteristics similar to Snes from another device, with the difference that this was 12V. I have only tried it for 1 minute to avoid burning my console, and the error persists, so I think the problem is going to be with the cartridge.

Regards!!

Offline blizzz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 11:09 PM »
@yo77elunico Which revision of the SD2SNES / FXPAK do you have? Like an older SD2SNES (revision F, G, H, J), SD2SNES Pro / FXPAK Pro or a Rev-X from eBay?