Author Topic: Loading one game into N-8 Pro with auto-launch to game.  (Read 364 times)

Offline Destro83

• View Profile
Loading one game into N-8 Pro with auto-launch to game.
« on: August 24, 2020, 01:45 AM »
Greetings. I am working on a tinker project, and I am trying to figure out if there is a way to load a single game onto the N-8 and have it automatically boot as if it was just a traditional cartridge with no N-8 Pro menu prompt. The GDEMU can do that if you set the file up in a certain way. Is this possible on the N-8 Pro?

Offline Destro83

• View Profile
Re: Loading one game into N-8 Pro with auto-launch to game.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 05:55 PM »
Just to follow up, I am trying to figure out a solution to flash a single game to the N8 Pro that will allow for the game to auto-boot as if it were the original solo-cart game. I need something that works similar to the FDSstick, where you can flash a game to it and reproduce that game on original software. I need a cart version of this tech's ability so I can play around with a Venus Game Doctor 6+. My goal is to produce a line of custom FDS ports of some of my favorite games. Sure, it may mean FF2 boots from 4 disks, but there were a handful of games that came out for the FDS that spanned 4 disks. Could the developer port be used in the same way connect to a PC with similar software toan FDSstick so it can be flashed to hold one game and auto-boot the game instead of menu software? Any advice would be appreciated!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 12:48 PM »
I think that this is a useful feature for any flashcart if possible as it would make it possible to use it more like the real cart. It would solve the RNG problem with FF1, and it would make GBA linking to Gamecube and DS possible for a GBA Everdrive. I think there was a special version of the N8 OS that did something like this, but it probably didn't boot directly from the rom since the rom memory is RAM and must be loaded with the rom image after power has been turned on. I'm afraid it isn't possible on RAM-based flashcarts like the N8 and the N8 Pro.

The obvious solution is to make a repro cart and burn an EPROM. But it only works for mappers that have been reproduced.

What FDS game spanns 4 disks?

If you are writing FDS disks, make sure you don't waste any good disks, and use only bad ones if possible, as you effectively destroys the disk by writing it. The disks can apparently only be read by the drive that wrote them, for all the current writing solutions.

Offline Destro83

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 06:17 PM »
I know well on writing to FDS disks, and yes, I will not be destroying any games that still have value. I like making money too much. lol

I double checked the description of the N8 Pro and "instant ROM loading" is shown as a feature. Could that be what I am asking about?? I can't find anything describing this feature in detail...

Offline Destro83

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 06:29 PM »
To follow up again, it looks like the "boot last game" might be exactly what I am looking for!!