Author Topic: NES PAL and Expansion Audio  (Read 455 times)

Offline tiger59

• View Profile
NES PAL and Expansion Audio
« on: August 05, 2020, 11:20 AM »
Hi there.

I own an original PAL NES system and an EverDrive N8 flash card. I am quite interested in expansion audio for Famicom games in the EverDrive N8 and I know the system doesn't normally support it. I've seen mods to North American systems to allow for Expansion Audio and was wondering if it is possible for PAL systems too. If it is possible is it worth it? I know the clock speed would be slower but otherwise would it work?

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 06:01 PM by kazatin »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: NES PAL and Expansion Audio
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 07:24 PM »
There shouldn't be any reason it wouldn't work. Music notes will be a bit off like with the APU, but the same relatively to each other so it might not sound bad, only different and with slower music tempo.

Offline J^P

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 07:48 PM »
its piss easy mod, you just need to solder one resistor.

But its also the most pointless mod ever. Why? Because neither Gimmick or jap castlevania 3 play properly on PAL nes anyway. On gimmick the screen scrolling is broken so the game is unplayable, and on castlevania 3 the HUD doesn't scroll properly, and scrolling on the vertical part of the first level is completely off so its impossible to progress.
the FDS games works I guess, the kid icacrus is one noticeable example of an game that makes good use of the extra audio channel and it plays just fine apart being slow.

all of them have proper PAL release but they all lack the extra audio channel.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 12:35 AM »
There are several other expansion audio games than those two and FDS. I don't know if any of them work well on PAL.

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 01:14 AM »
pal nes are shit to ntsc games, useless.