Author Topic: Backing up a memory pak on the X7  (Read 715 times)

Offline Rakutenka

• View Profile
Backing up a memory pak on the X7
« on: August 18, 2020, 08:51 AM »
I'm not sure if I totally understand how the backup works for the X7. My understanding is you just have to go into the menu and choose backup the memory pak and it creates a save file for it on the SD card. When I do this and then try to play with a different memory pak in the controller without a save on it, the saves don't show up. (game is Mario Kart 64) I'm trying to backup my ghost data as I have an amazing one a friend made years ago that I don't want to lose. Do I always have to have the same memory pak in it? I was of the understanding that this isn't required.

I've searched on here for a detailed explanation, but none of them really pass the peanut butter and jelly test, so I feel something might be being left out as if all I need is a memory pak in after the backup, why isn't this working? Thanks in advance.

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
Re: Backing up a memory pak on the X7
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 04:24 PM »
You could use another memory pak but you would need to place the backup you made on the SD card onto the new memory pak. It can't use the SD card in place of a memory pak.

Offline TimmyLoud

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 01:43 PM »
I don't really understand this concept either and it's not that clear from anything i've read...

So (on the x7) you can backup the CPak to the SD card, or you can 'sync' it to the last game you played (so it has the same filename as the game). But you need to copy this back over to the CPak when you want to use it with the game - OK.

Then how do you get the CPak image on the SD back on to the physical CPak?!?!

T

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 02:08 PM »
I don't know how this sync stuff works on the x7, but on earlier Everdrives there is an option in the menu to backup the memory card content to the SD card and another option to restore a memory card dump from the SD card back to the memory card. That's all there is to it.

Offline TimmyLoud

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 01:49 PM »
Well I've only owned the x7, so not really sure how you're meant to do it. As far as I can see the x7 doesn't have that option to restore the memory pak from the SD  :o

I've attached the menu screens (apologies for the image quality):

The Main Menu is what you see when you push 'Z'.
The Controller Pak Manager is what you see when you select 'CPak Manager' from the Main Menu.
The Information screen is what you see when you select 'Information' on the Controller Pak Manager screen.

Any ideas?  :-\

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 01:53 AM »
Wow that's pretty useless! Now I see why you are confused. Maybe Krikzz removed the option by accident in the x7 OS.

Offline TimmyLoud

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 05:26 PM »
Nope! This was actually me being a total dumbass (not for the first time...  :-[)

You just need to navigate to the ED64/Saves/ folder and select the .mpk file (which is either named after the game if you used the 'sync' option or is 'controller_1.mpk') and select 'File to CPAK'.

Simples! I guess it's just made harder as there's no definitive guide or wiki for the x7 (although this is pretty much explained for the earlier editions on the excellent Micro 64 site)

T

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 12:57 AM »
I had forgotten you needed to do that, sorry.