Author Topic: New ED64 v2.5 cart pics & info  (Read 995 times)

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
New ED64 v2.5 cart pics & info
« on: August 20, 2020, 01:22 AM »
Hey everyone, I recently purchased a v2.5 from everdrive.me and I've been super happy with its quality and performance so far. I've seen some questions on the forum lately from folks who are thinking about picking up an ED, so I thought I'd post some pictures of mine and talk about the differences between this and the older v2.5 cart since there don't seem to be much info about the new version online yet.

Basically the biggest difference is SD card slot. Some sellers still have the v2.5s with a standard SD card slot on the top of the cartridge. With this version, the SD card sticks out a bit. The new v2.5 (pictured here) takes microSD on the left of the cart, just like the ED64 x7. The NTSC/PAL switch is the same as on the old cart, just placed on the right instead of on top. Like all v2.5 versions, you still have to press reset in order to save your progress.

Hope this helps someone who might have questions about the differences between the v2.5 carts like I did when I was trying to figure out which one to purchase. Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 03:12 AM by rlstine »

Offline SlippyToadLives

• View Profile
Re: New ED64 v2.5 cart pics & info
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 07:03 PM »
Thats pretty clean!

I got a v2.5 on BF on amazon last year, and it came with the Mario Galaxy label and bootleg-ish standard looking cart / top SD loader

I dont mind / hate it, but this appears to be a nice upgrade ! The smoke PCB is cooler than my green one too (even though I can barely see in the cart)

though I'd prefer that shell with Mario Galaxy label, as 'best of both worlds' personally :P

I think the v2.5 is fine too, sometimes resetting to save has its benefits if you dont want autosave sticking and its easy enough to remember imo
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 08:08 PM by SlippyToadLives »

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 09:43 PM »
Definitely agree re: the label. I really like the original, more retro-looking Mario Galaxy inspired one you have, but I also don't mind how sleek the new one looks, especially with the smoke shell.

The cart itself has a nice weight to it and doesn't feel like a repro. Only issue (and I think this is the same with all EDs) is that it doesn't sit as snugly in the n64 as standard carts do. This might be because of the region-free shell design, but I'm always careful with how I insert/remove the cart and I try not to disturb it once the machine is on.

The 2.5 in general feels like a great option to me. I worried I might regret not picking up an x7 but so far I haven't experienced any issues with saving at all. Since the n64 uses wired controllers, it's not like I'm ever too far to hit reset anyway—plus, you still have to reset to return to the menu screen.

Offline Grizzmeister

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 02:21 PM »
I have the older ED64 v2.5 that uses the larger SD cards. Here's a pic.

Just played Killer Instinct Gold and F-Zero X Expansion Kit on it yesterday.

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 11:00 PM »
Thanks for posting a pic to compare, Grizz! For those who may not know, the ED64 sticker on this cart is the "Super Mario Galaxy" style one Slippy was describing.

Offline Grizzmeister

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 02:19 PM »
Thanks for posting a pic to compare, Grizz! For those who may not know, the ED64 sticker on this cart is the "Super Mario Galaxy" style one Slippy was describing.

The shell of the ED64 I purchased was causing the connectors of the PCB not to make clean contact with the N64 so I removed it. This is the way my setup looks in actuality.

I've got the entire North American N64 library on that SD card along with lots of Japanese titles, some iQue games and even a few hacks like the impressive Smash Remix that includes Falco and Wario.

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 04:42 PM »
Oh yeah, I think you might have posted this pic in one of my other threads! Do you know how/why the shell was preventing the connectors from making contact?

Smash Remix is a great time. I've been playing a lot of modded Legend of Zelda titles lately, myself. I've been really impressed with Missing Link and Dawn & Dusk so far, but I admit I don't know of too many more.

Offline Grizzmeister

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 02:33 PM »
Oh yeah, I think you might have posted this pic in one of my other threads! Do you know how/why the shell was preventing the connectors from making contact?

I can only guess that it's not the same exact size as the original. None of my official Nintendo cartridges have that problem.

Smash Remix is a great time. I've been playing a lot of modded Legend of Zelda titles lately, myself. I've been really impressed with Missing Link and Dawn & Dusk so far, but I admit I don't know of too many more.

Didn't purchase my EverDrive 64 specifically for hacks but it is a really nice bonus feature.

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 04:23 PM »
Yes, hacks and translations are both awesome ED64 features. It's great that there's a devoted community working on translation projects and even new games, thanks to the x7. Have you tried out ozidual's Shiren the Wanderer translation?

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 07:09 PM »

These are the Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask mods/hacks that I know of that are supposed to work correctly on a real N64:

LoZ Ocarina of Time - Beta Dungeon Demo (Contains things cut from final game).z64 (10.0MB)
LoZ Ocarina of Time - Dark Hyrule Fantasy (Demo).z64 (64.0MB)
LoZ Ocarina of Time - Dawn and Dusk v2.z64 (32.0MB)
LoZ Ocarina of Time - Hero of Hyrule Demo (v1).z64 (64.0MB)
LoZ Ocarina of Time - Master Of Time.z64 (32.0MB)
LoZ Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (E) (GC) [f3] (NTSC) (FIXED - USE THIS).z64 (32.0MB)
LoZ Ocarina of Time - Nimpize Adventure.n64 (32.0MB)
LoZ Ocarina of Time - Puzzling.z64 (32.0MB)
LoZ Ocarina of Time - The Fate of the Bombiwa.z64 (32.0MB)
LoZ Ocarina of Time - The Legend of Peach (Demo 1).z64 (64.0MB)
LoZ Ocarina of Time - The Missing Link v1.4.z64 (16.0MB)
LoZ Ocarina of Time - Master Quest Redux v2.1.z64 (32.0MB)
LoZ Ocarina of Time - Ocarina of Time Redux v2.1.z64 (32.0MB)
LoZ Ocarina of Time - Petrie's Challenge (newer than v1.3) plus Ozidual's patch(32.0MB)
LoZ Ocarina of Time - Ruinous Shards plus Ozidual's patch.z64 (64.0MB)
LoZ Ocarina of Time - Voyager of Time (fixed CRC) plus Ozidual's patch.z64 (64.0MB)

Majora's Mask - Better Majora's Mask.z64 (32.0MB)
Majora's Mask - Masked Quest v4.0.0.2.z64 (32.0MB)
Majora's Mask - Razer Sword Hack.z64 (32.0MB)
Majora's Mask randomizer.z64 (32.0MB)
Majora's Mask Master Quest v1.2.z64 (32.0MB)

...and even new games...

Do you mean new games or new hacks? I'm not aware of any new games being written or ported to the N64, what are they, please?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 07:29 PM »
It isn't the most popular system for homebrew, but it does exists.
https://n64squid.com/homebrew/#Original_games

Most homebrew isn't using 3D very much since the free SDK (Libdragon) doesn't support it, and if Nintendo's official SDK is used, the homebrew would become illegal.

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2020, 11:35 PM »
Thanks Kerr Avon! This is a great list. I have tried several (though not all) of them, and I'm most interested in the titles like Missing Link, Dawn & Dusk, and Voyager of Time that make a new story rather than tweaking dialogue/character models/settings in the existing Ocarina of Time story. What are some of your favorites from those you listed?

Also want to say thanks to nuu for the link! I knew some homebrew games existed for ED64, but I definitely hadn't heard of all these. Will have to check them out.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 11:43 PM by rlstine »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 06:34 PM »
It isn't the most popular system for homebrew, but it does exists.
https://n64squid.com/homebrew/#Original_games

Most homebrew isn't using 3D very much since the free SDK (Libdragon) doesn't support it, and if Nintendo's official SDK is used, the homebrew would become illegal.

Oh, I know of the older stuff, and newer things like Jnmartin84's great ports of the PC Doom games and the first episode of wolfenstein 3D to the N64, Evil Australians, and Flappy Bird.

http://www.nesworld.com/article.php?system=n64&data=n64homebrew

is the best archive I know of for N64 homebrew.

But rlstine said "new games", so i wondered if any newer games were released or being worked on. There are so many open source games available, and so many that wouldn't tax the N64 too much. And many more games that would require some work to get running at full speed on the N64, but are, I think, possible, such as the fantastic System Shock (https://github.com/Interrupt/systemshock) or Blood (https://github.com/nukeykt/NBlood,  and
 https://dukeworld.duke4.net/eduke32/synthesis/), both of which 'suffer' from the fact that modern reverse engineered (or largely intelligent guess work based) ports of older PC games tend to require more memory than the original game did, as modern PCs have much more memory than the PCs of the games' day, so the programmers of the modern game ports don't have much reason to try to minimise the memory usage of the game's port. That of course introduces a further problem when porting such a game to a memory limited system such as the N64.

I don't doubt that both System Shock (a fantastically atmospheric and innovative first person shooter with sort of, but not really, RPG aspects) and Blood (a really good build engine game, it's basically Duke Nukem 64 but with a horror theme instead) would have been great on the N64 back in the day (and would still be fantastic now, neither game has aged at all, playability-wise), but sadly homebrew on the N64 is extremely rare, and mostly very basic.

Thanks Kerr Avon! This is a great list. I have tried several (though not all) of them, and I'm most interested in the titles like Missing Link, Dawn & Dusk, and Voyager of Time that make a new story rather than tweaking dialogue/character models/settings in the existing Ocarina of Time story. What are some of your favorites from those you listed?

I haven't actually properly played them, to be honest. I bought a new TV a while back, when my old one packed in, and the N64's display on it is pretty bad. So I've been meaning to find a way around that, but I can't find an available PAL N64 HDMI mod anywhere (the one bloke who makes it, Marshall, has apparently not produced any more in two years) - https://n64today.com/2018/03/13/ultrahdmi-n64-guide/.

Because I have a PAL N64 and PAL TV, I can't get a straightforward RGB output (for some reason Nintendo decided to remove this ability from most PAL systems). I bought one of the plug and play HDMI output boxes, and it does make PAL games look better, but NTSC games (i.e. just about any modded or hacked N64 game) look *terrible* on my PAL TV, worse than just using the normal N64 output.

As a result, I've mainly limited my N64 gameplay recently to using the Goldeneye/Perfect Dark specific emulator (available from http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=7045) and just played GE/PD mods. I've mainly just used my N64 console to test N64 mods to see that they have been patched and run properly. And for a few weeks now, I've been too busy at work (it's hectic, we're worried that the company might close down (and they'll probably be blaming the closure on the Covid virus) and I'm doing the work of three people) so I've not had much time to devote to my hobbies, and I mainly visit this site and others during downtime at work. Sorry for the moaning  >:(, I'm just sick of the aggro about the state of the world and it's effects on everyone.

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 02:15 AM »
And for a few weeks now, I've been too busy at work (it's hectic, we're worried that the company might close down (and they'll probably be blaming the closure on the Covid virus) and I'm doing the work of three people) so I've not had much time to devote to my hobbies, and I mainly visit this site and others during downtime at work. Sorry for the moaning  >:(, I'm just sick of the aggro about the state of the world and it's effects on everyone.

I'm with you, there. Definitely getting tired of the pandemic. I'm located in the US, and it's been especially bad here lately with universities opening up and students getting sick en masse. Close to 200,000 dead now and our hospitals overrun like a scene from a horror movie in some cities. Hoping that your company manages to weather the worst of it and that you see a reduction in your workload very soon. Thanks for always being such a helpful presence here, as well, and making the ED community such a hospitable place for new folks like myself. The ED and this community have really helped get me through some difficult days so far.