Author Topic: Everdrive X7 NTSC Colour Issues  (Read 366 times)

Offline Sam_Patmore

• View Profile
Everdrive X7 NTSC Colour Issues
« on: September 09, 2020, 09:17 PM »
Hi All,

Received my Everdrive 64 X7 today which is great. I have a PAL N64 and when I play PAL games through the everdrive on it, everything is fine. However, when I try to play NTSC games through the Everdrive, all the colour goes off, i.e. all red colours become green. I've tried using different cables etc and had the same result so can only assume its something to with the regions. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Offline supersign

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive X7 NTSC Colour Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 09:23 PM »
Yeah, it's a region thing. It's recommended to have:
PAL N64 = PAL roms only
JP/US NTSC N64 = NTSC roms only

There's also the UltraPIF mod I mentioned earlier which is like the SuperCIC for the SNES which a PAL N64 can switch between 50hz & 60hz.

If the N64 has a RGB mod and your TV/scaler input has PAL60 then it's less likely to have colour issues.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 12:56 AM by supersign »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 01:07 AM »
Hi All,

Received my Everdrive 64 X7 today which is great. I have a PAL N64 and when I play PAL games through the everdrive on it, everything is fine. However, when I try to play NTSC games through the Everdrive, all the colour goes off, i.e. all red colours become green. I've tried using different cables etc and had the same result so can only assume its something to with the regions. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Sorry, it's mostly bad news. Despite most PAL TVs made in the last few years (well, maybe twenty or more years) supporting NTSC, yours apparently doesn't, unfortunately. I live in England, so I've always only had PAL televisions. When I bought my Everdrive 64, I had two TVs, and I found that one displayed all NTSC/JAP (and of course PAL N64) games correctly, and the other TV only displayed some NTSC/JAP games properly, other games just sent the screen all black though I could still the hear the sound. Both of those TVs are gone now, so I bought a new TV, PAL, of course, and it displays all of the NTSC/JAP N64 games properly. But, and this is a big but, the screen quality of the N64 on this TV isn't great, regardless of whether I'm playing a PAL or NTSC/JAP game on my N64.

All of my other consoles work fine on it, but the N64, which is my oldest console (everything else is newer, from a PS2 to a PS4) looks bad. This is because many modern TV manufacturers don't make an effort to support the older screen formats (resolution, refresh-rate, whatever) that that consoles up to the N64, the Playstation 1, and other consoles of the fifth generation, output to the TV.

And to make it worse, I've never managed to find a list or a website listing what modern TVs do a good job of displaying the output from older consoles. TV manufactures don't seem interested in ensuring that we can play our retro consoles with a decent picture, sadly.

To get a decent picture from your N64 with NTSC games, you'll either have to:

1) Use third party TV-out hardware. I'm trying to find a decent HDMI solution myself that's affordable and will fix the problem, but no success so far,

or

2) Buy a PAL TV that supports NTSC (which is almost any PAL TV nowadays) and gives a clear display of the N64's output (and I don't know how to tell what TVs will do that, sorry).

But you will definitely want to be able to play NTSC roms on your N64, because almost all of the N64 hacks and mods are NTSC only, and some of them are *fantastic*!

BTW, I've sent you a PM (Private Message).

Offline TimmyLoud

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 02:43 PM »
Kerr is right unfortunately,

As a third option, I use a projector (Optoma HD600), which has composite and s-video inputs as well as HDMI. Through s-video my screen will go blank for a second when I switch to NTSC games on my x7 but rights itself quick enough. Also to add to Kerr's point, I think some of the NTSC games seem to have better and truer colour than the PAL versions.

T