Author Topic: Help ED GB X7 Error 41  (Read 479 times)

Offline ton1

• View Profile
Help ED GB X7 Error 41
« on: September 11, 2020, 02:29 PM »
My ED GB X7 was fine until today, that message is shown evertime I try to load a rom
I can still use/navigate the menu
Plz anyone help...

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Re: Help ED GB X7 Error 41
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 11:09 PM »
Could it be the device has pre-loaded too many games and kept a back up of them in EDGB section of your menu in the SAVE folder, this would be the folder that has all of your SRM files as the device creates a copy of each and every rom that is loaded. Normally deleting all of these usually fixes that error.

Side note: This isn't the files that the device does when you save your data in a game as the real hardware would, it's just a gimmick that every Everdrive does where it always remembers your last played game... check it out and you may be surprised by how many games you have played without noticing how many copies it created of them all over the years you have used it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 11:29 PM by Richardragon87 »
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 02:04 PM »
But if you delete SRM files you delete your save files. Isn't there a log or something that keeps tracks of loaded games. Deleting that might fix it. Otherwise just backup your save files and put a fresh copy of the OS on the SD card. If it doesn't fix it you can try reformatting the SD card (backup your roms and save files first) to fix any fragmentation issues (don't defrag though).

Offline ton1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 02:40 PM »
Thx for the response  :)
but it still doesnt work, I've tried to format my card and put the newest firmare and copied some roms
all the roms that I try still shows that "error 41" message

is there any guide/manual about types of error message and what caused it?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 02:45 PM »
Unfortunately not. Try contacting Krikzz.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 04:35 PM »
But if you delete SRM files you delete your save files. Isn't there a log or something that keeps tracks of loaded games. Deleting that might fix it. Otherwise just backup your save files and put a fresh copy of the OS on the SD card. If it doesn't fix it you can try reformatting the SD card (backup your roms and save files first) to fix any fragmentation issues (don't defrag though).

To me it still seems like a replication of this error message on the GBA Everdrive - http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8958.0

It is where you play too many roms and it makes a SRM file of every game loaded, you can always save some of the ones the games actually saved automatically in gameplay on and just delete the ones that you never saved anything on... for example I checked my EDGB folder in the SAVE folder and it has a save state for the rom called "Barcode Taisen" now as you know this game is unresponsive as you need a barcode reader to play it and can't bypass midway into the game unless a patch which allowed you to scan stuff was changed in the values by buttons for example some NES roms have had patches for a DBZ and Yu-yu-Hakusho barcode game that allows you to press buttons in controls to get values of what would normally need cards to acess them.

Even the broken Robopon game series made a SRM file even though they were only accessed for the boarders, in short the device just makes a SRM file of any game loaded even if you don't save in game, normally say you have had over 2, 500 games played in it's lifetime those games are stored in the memory of being loaded and overriding that limit tends to give you a black screen once the rom is loaded, you can still access the menu but the device locks you out of accessing them.

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 05:13 PM »
I don't understand what you mean, save files are stored on the SD card, there's no room for that many save files in the save memory, only the save of last game played is stored there. There is probably some log or something that remembers loaded games, but that list should be flushed now when he reinstalled the OS.

But if there is some kind of limit of the number of save files, and you have a very large number of save files, you can try delete those that you don't care about as Richarddragon says. That might be a good idea regardless.
There is a limit of number of files in a folder, maybe that causes problems if there are too many save files in the SAVE folder.

This is GB/GBC and not GBA though, which means there are many games that never saves. In my experience, the Everdrives doesn't create a save file when you load a rom that is detected as a non-saving game.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 05:16 PM by nuu »

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 07:33 PM »
I don't understand what you mean, save files are stored on the SD card, there's no room for that many save files in the save memory, only the save of last game played is stored there. There is probably some log or something that remembers loaded games, but that list should be flushed now when he reinstalled the OS.

But if there is some kind of limit of the number of save files, and you have a very large number of save files, you can try delete those that you don't care about as Richarddragon says. That might be a good idea regardless.
There is a limit of number of files in a folder, maybe that causes problems if there are too many save files in the SAVE folder.

This is GB/GBC and not GBA though, which means there are many games that never saves. In my experience, the Everdrives doesn't create a save file when you load a rom that is detected as a non-saving game.

The SRM is how the Everdrive series always remembered what game you last played, it isn't the save files of each game that normally would save by default like in a option on the actual game to save your files. They tend to be known as SAV ones at least on emulators such as VBA. For example I once went through every NES game on my GBA and when it reached over 2,000 games loaded on it they all made SRM despite me only checking if they worked, you could say the SRM is the same file size as the rom itself so imagine how many duplicates of the roms that get stored in the memory banks of the everdrive and it overrides the system... of course this is so minor you wont really notice it unless you were interested in seeing what roms worked and which didn't for the EDGB folder its likely got over 1/99 or over that many pages the SRM if I recall can be opened too but I'm not sure if they load the rom up or just load the state of the file itself but I can grantee a lot of GB games made SRM which don't even have a save function it's just excess baggage that clogs up the devices memory that has never been corrected.

Now I think of it I once did exactly that on my old GB everdrive where I must have gone through every game to see if the rom loaded with the boarder of course when I realized it was a official Krikzz version that had a really loose spring I accidentally deleted most of the SRM files when I transferred them over but I remember I had pages upon pages of games which I never even played more than a second and they all took up a lot of space.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 07:42 PM by Richardragon87 »

Post changed:

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 02:35 PM »
I believe you are mistaken. SRM is definitely the SRAM dump which means the cartridge battery backup SRAM save file in the case of Gameboy, and that's why they appear in the SAVE folder. Everdrives uses different file extensions for different systems, but usually SRM is SRAM, EEP is EEPROM and FLA is FLASHROM. If there is only one type for the system they might be using SAV, I don't know. In the case of the Everdrive N8 (I don't know about the Pro) the save files have the same file extension as the roms, which is NES, but they are still just SRAM dumps.
I have confirmed this and they work in emulators as save files. They contain no data from the game rom.

I have the original Everdrive GB, and if I load Tetris or Super Mario Land for example, there won't be any SRM files for those games in the SAVE folder.

You are probably not wrong that the Everdrive acts up if you have a too large rom loading history, but I'm pretty sure that is fixed by reinstalling the OS or reducing the amount of save files in the SAVE folder. In other words, an SD card problem rather than the "Everdrive's memory being clogged up".

you could say the SRM is the same file size as the rom itself so imagine how many duplicates of the roms that get stored in the memory banks of the everdrive and it overrides the system...
No they can be the same size, but the SRAM is usually up to 128kB in size for Gameboy games, while a GBC ROM can be up to at least 4MB. What do you mean by memory banks of the Everdrive? Overrides the system? What is overriding it and to what effect? Everything is stored on the SD card. Only the game you play is copied to the ROM memory and its save file to save memory, that's only one game at a time. The EDGB X7 supports up to 8MB ROM and 128kB SRAM, so there's not even room for more than one game if it's big enough.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 02:39 PM by nuu »

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 02:58 PM »
No they can be the same size, but the SRAM is usually up to 128kB in size for Gameboy games, while a GBC ROM can be up to at least 4MB. What do you mean by memory banks of the Everdrive? Overrides the system? What is overriding it and to what effect? Everything is stored on the SD card. Only the game you play is copied to the ROM memory and its save file to save memory, that's only one game at a time. The EDGB X7 supports up to 8MB ROM and 128kB SRAM, so there's not even room for more than one game if it's big enough.

The memory banks of the Everdrive are what is used to store all games that have previously been played on these are also known as Save Ram Files though its easy to mistaken then for save game files as when you click on one as the device then always remembers the last game played it will always make a back up file in that folder.

This means if you load more than 2,025 games you would likely et Error 41 as the device has exceeded the limit as to how many games have been played, for the EDGBA for example the number was 2,025 and I presume the EDGB would likely be the same as for example it would end up with the DISK I0 error if I recall though it has been years since I had that issue as I clean my SRM once every year but keep the ones I did make save files for to make sure it wont happen again.

The overriding always makes sure when you click on a rom it will show a black screen with an error message while the effect only makes the roms unplayable while the menu can still be accessed, think of it like if their was no SD card inserted and you tried to play a game and it came up with a error message.

Post changed:

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 03:59 PM »
So by "memory banks" you mean SRM files?
And by "overriding" you just mean that loading a game doesn't work due to error?

None of my Everdrives makes any files in the same folder as roms are in from what I remember.
SRM files are always save files on all my Everdrives, nothing else. I suggest you to try using them as such in an emulator (rename them to SAV or whatever the emulator expects) to see for yourself that they are nothing more than SRAM save files.

As I already said there is a limit on files in a folder. This limit is usually larger on Everdrives for more powerful systems, so the EDGB probably have a smaller limit than EDGBA.