Author Topic: Recommended audio balance settings for an original Famicom?  (Read 952 times)

Offline Robfozz

• View Profile
So I just got my N8 Pro Famicom and I like it so far, but theres just one thing thats been bugging the hell out of me. I can't hear the whip sounds in Akumojou Densetsu (Japanese Castlevania 3). Ive tried the different audio presets and none of them are quite right. I know it seems minor to complain about 1 sound effect but it really is kinda ruining the game for me lol.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else has the same issue and if so, what audio settings you used to make it sound correct.

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
Re: Recommended audio balance settings for an original Famicom?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 01:10 AM »
Which Famicom do you have?  The mixer volume levels have presets for (Early and Twin) Famicom and (Late and) AV Famicom.  Early and Twin Famicoms output louder audio than later and AV Famicoms.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 01:12 AM by Great Hierophant »
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline Robfozz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 03:08 AM »
Which Famicom do you have?  The mixer volume levels have presets for (Early and Twin) Famicom and (Late and) AV Famicom.  Early and Twin Famicoms output louder audio than later and AV Famicoms.
I have an original famicom.

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 05:39 AM »
The only thing you can do is to reduce the volume of the VRC6 until you get it to where you can hear the whip.
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 02:38 AM »
Is your Famicom modified in any way? A stock Famicom output should match up with one of the presets, but if it has an audio mod it may not have standard resistor or amp levels.

Offline rage

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 09:12 AM »
oddly enough i have the exact opposite problem of op.  i can hear whip fine on original famicom(av modded), but can just faintly hear it on av famicom.  its never fully audible with limited random volume % numbers tested, only distorts the music like trying to play on nes that doesnt have resistor mod for expansion audio the lower the value is set.  have no knowledge about the inner-workings, but maybe theres different audio unit or something in different famis (even within independent originals and 'new' av famis)?  or maybe my av fami is just messed up somehow.  /shrug

Offline pattonthompson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 04:20 PM »
This is a good segway into a larger question I have.  I have av famicom hvc 101.  Going to install nes rgb and exclusively use n8 pro (no original carts).  What should I do with audio for best possible experience with regular games and expansion audio?:

1) leave stock and use av famicom audio balance setting on N8 pro

2) run audio through tim worthingtons rgb board?

3) or this mod: https://www.retrorgb.com/av-famicom-hvc-101-audio-balance-restoration-mod.html

If number 3 what do i use for audio balance settings on n8 pro?

Thanks in advance, havent been able to find definitive answer

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 09:24 PM »
I'm pretty sure the audio from Tim Worthington's board targets the levels of an AV Famicom, so the corresponding preset should work for 1 and 2. There's another preset that would correspond to 3 (I think it's labeled something like "20k"?)

Offline pattonthompson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 01:08 AM »
Cool thanks.  I might just run audio through the rgb amp and change the audio balance setting on everdrive.  That would be much simpler.  I suppose if you were also going to use original carts the more extensive mod might be better.