Author Topic: Questions from a noob about Super EverDrive X5  (Read 330 times)

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
Questions from a noob about Super EverDrive X5
« on: September 16, 2020, 04:57 PM »
Hey everyone,

I bought an ED64 about two months back and have been really happy with it. I'm thinking of expanding my ED collection with a SEDX5, but had a few questions I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with. First, does loading roms onto the SD card work the same way as it does for the ED64? Are there any SNES games that are incompatible with the SEDX5? What is a good microSD card size for holding all available SNES games? Is there anything else I need to know about the unit before buying?

Thanks so much in advance for any responses!

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
Re: Questions from a noob about Super EverDrive X5
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 06:23 PM »
Hey everyone,

I bought an ED64 about two months back and have been really happy with it. I'm thinking of expanding my ED collection with a SEDX5, but had a few questions I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with. First, does loading roms onto the SD card work the same way as it does for the ED64? Are there any SNES games that are incompatible with the SEDX5? What is a good microSD card size for holding all available SNES games? Is there anything else I need to know about the unit before buying?

Thanks so much in advance for any responses!

The X5 will not play any of the special chip games at all. If you want to play special chip games you need to go with FXPak/SD2SNES or FXPAK Pro/SD2SNES Pro.

The X5 is a cheaper option for people that don't care about the special chip games.

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 07:26 PM »
Okay, thanks for this info. Is there an updated list of these unplayable games? I checked the stickied post but it's 6 years old now and I wasn't sure whether the DSP chip comes installed in the current x5 model. Also, are there rom hacks/homebrew that wouldn't be compatible on an x5?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 07:27 PM by rlstine »

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 07:37 PM »
Okay, thanks for this info. Is there an updated list of these unplayable games? I checked the stickied post but it's 6 years old now and I wasn't sure whether the DSP chip comes installed in the current x5 model. Also, are there rom hacks/homebrew that wouldn't be compatible on an x5?

The X5 does not come with DSP chips. Krikzz quit doing that as he said the SD2SNES/FXPak serviced that well. I am assuming rom hacks that don't use special chips would work.

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 07:46 PM »
That's great to know, thank you. As far as loading the x5 with roms, is the process the same as for the ED64? Any recommendations on a good MicroSD brand/size?

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 11:19 PM »
That's great to know, thank you. As far as loading the x5 with roms, is the process the same as for the ED64? Any recommendations on a good MicroSD brand/size?

I don't have an X5 put I had a predecessor and it was the same. I usually use Sandisk cards for my Everdrives and I haven't had problems, but I think others have had issues with them