Author Topic: Mega Everdrive SD card setup  (Read 674 times)

Offline bkenobi

• View Profile
Mega Everdrive SD card setup
« on: October 04, 2020, 05:30 AM »
I was given a Mega Everdrive X7 but it did not include the microSD card.  I have a few available, so I'm trying to set it up for my Sega Genesis MK-1601 (1st gen).  I found the guide that indicates I need the MEGA.zip and extract the contents to the card with files under "root/MEGA".  I found a bios set that were in bin format and copied them over to the MEGA directory and renamed as required (e.g. smsbiosus.sms).  When I boot the Genesis, I see the initial splash screen "Produced by or under license from Sega..." and then it goes to a screen that says

Code: [Select]
--------------------------------
Mega-ED bootloader v3.00
ERROR:C4
--------------------------------

SD card mpt fpimd

2014 krikzz     Mega-ED-v2     sm:0EC5

I tried the OS versions 3.00, 3.13, and a couple in between.  I opened the cart and it says

Mega-ED V2.01
Made in Ukraine

So I'm not positive if this is an X7 or V2 now.  Can anyone give some guidance on how to set up the card assuming this isn't an issue with the card, Genesis, something else?  TIA!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 06:11 AM by bkenobi »

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
Re: Mega Everdrive SD card setup
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 03:19 PM »
This is a real V2, it was rebranded as X7 when X5 and X3 was released.

Make sure the SD card is a good branded one (Sandisk or Kingston for example), it can be picky about sd card controllers.

Make sure it is formatted to FAT32 with 32KB or 64KB clusters.

If your card is 64GB or higher capacity, use a third party formatter since Windows force exfat or ntfs with those cards.

Offline peterlanders

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 06:15 PM »
Apart from making sure the card is formatted as noted above, don’t overthink the OS: just download the latest version from Krikzz’s download section, unzip it, and drag the resulting MEGA folder to the root of your SD card. That should be enough to have the cart working properly, even without any ROMs to try.

Offline peterlanders

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 06:25 PM »
Also, while @Marteicos talks about 64GB or larger cards, the X7 claims to support only cards up to 32GB, which to me implies that it can handle SDHC but not SDXC cards. I’ve not experimented with larger cards, as 32GB is plenty, but you might want to watch out for that. I used a 32GB Sandisk Ultra card formatted as FAT32 (default settings) and it works perfectly. The SMS BIOS files are optional as well, you don’t *need* them.

Offline bkenobi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 08:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  After reading some other threads I pulled the SD to see if it would make any difference.  It boots the same way (sd not found message) so I'm sure it's the card.  I used electronics cleaner and a toothpick brush thing to clean the micro sd contacts on the cart just in case, but it didn't help. I have a few other micro sd cards so I'll give your suggestions a try.  The 8GB card was formatted with Win10 in FAT32 but I had no options so perhaps that's not ideal.  I used SD Card Formatter for a 512MB card and it also was not happy.  I have several cards ranging from no name to Kingston, Polaroid, etc.  I'll just throw a few at it and see if anything changes.

Offline bkenobi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 09:14 PM »
I started over with a different card (PNY 16BG).  Deleted partitions and formatted to FAT32 with 32kb clusters via SD Card Formatter.  I installed just the MEGA-3.13 files in the MEGA folder and a single rom in a ROMS path (Sonic the Hedgehog (USA).md).  On boot it displays the license message then flashed a bunch of colors and finishes with either a purple/pink or black screen that says

ERROR:CB
SD init error

I guess I could try a few more cards.  Doesn't hurt.

Offline peterlanders

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 03:06 AM »
Sounds like you’re getting closer! I've stopped using anything but Sandisk Ultra/Extreme cards, even though they’re overkill for something like the EverDrive. They’ve just been 100% reliable in my experience.

I had good luck with Lexar cards in the past but they don’t seem to be around here any more. All I see around other than the Sandisk ones are generic no name brands, and I’m not taking chances on those.

Offline bkenobi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 04:32 AM »
The ones I have mostly look the same (generic black with a standard type name...e.g, Polaroid, Kingston).  I wonder if those are fake brand name cards.  I bought them at Staples and Frys as I recall, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.  The PNY is the typical green/gray so I'm pretty sure it's legit and since it almost works, I suppose that's a good indication.

FWIW, I've had a couple legit Samsung micro sd fail and loose data in cell phones so even a good quality card isn't perfect.  I'll try my other cards and if nothing works just purchase a new one and probably a backup.

Offline bkenobi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 05:45 AM »
I ordered a couple Sandisk Ultra 32GB cards for backup if nothing else.  The Polaroid 32GB card booted correctly and displayed the one rom I had on the card.  I tried running it, but apparently the version of Sonic was not happy.  I'm copying the whole ROM set over and will give that a go.  Assuming SOMETHING loads, I'd assume this was just a SD compatibility issue as was initially suspected.

Offline bkenobi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 06:52 AM »
Since my existing ROM set didn't load anything correctly for some reason, I figured the best thing to try would be sourcing a everpack set.  I grabbed the set from 6/4/2020 off archive.org and dropped sonic on the card.  I can see it but when I try to launch the rom it goes black screen, flashes a couple times, the drops back to the list.  I currently have a seemingly working card on a working cart with a everdrive compatible rom (I think) but no joy.  Any other thoughts?

Offline bkenobi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 05:44 PM »
A little update.  I put all titles starting with "S" on the card under a ROMS folder and tried the "play random game" option.  It sat there for around 30 seconds and came back with "supported games not found".  I'm sure I'm close but for some reason my games don't work.  Is there a known good open source title someone can link so I can confirm it can work with valid games?  I will have my SD cards this afternoon if Amazon isn't lying so I can try with a Sandisk Ultra card.

Offline peterlanders

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 07:20 PM »
Weird. I’m using the same pack from archive.org with no issues. Both on my old X7 and new Pro. Hope the new cards do the trick, beyond that I guess it could be a deeper issue.

Offline bkenobi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 07:23 PM »
Hmmm, ok.  Well I'll cross my fingers then.