Author Topic: Yakouchuu II N64 Translation  (Read 628 times)

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
Yakouchuu II N64 Translation
« on: October 01, 2020, 05:55 PM »
I'll just put this right... over... here! 

A translator approached me a couple months back to do some translation work on Yakouchuu II, so we worked together to sort out the alphabet.  There are over 3300 letters in this alphabet that I prepped, took screenshots of, passed on to the translator, he identified and threw into a spreadsheet.  With that I pulled an initial text dump and passed it on to him.  While he worked on that, I identified some command characters for future reference.

That was the end of it for a while for me.  Half of August and almost all of September was crazy busy between work and family.  Just last night I finally carved out some time to take a look at it.  More on that in the first post.

Like me, the translator has other projects including N64 manual translations and walkthroughs.  You can see his work here:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/community/whowasphone404/contributions/faqs

In fact, he's already done some initial translation work on Yakouchuu II's manual and a walkthrough. If you're at all curious about what Yakouchuu II is about you can read the back of the box in the manual translation in the above link.  For the rest of you, simplistically it's a mystery visual novel set aboard a ship.

In some ways, Yakouchuu II is the reason I started working with Gaming Alexandria to scan in high quality scans of gaming stuff.  I wanted to share how amazing the box art and manual for Yakouchuu II looked with everyone

but my first attempts on my own looked horrible.  Trying to scan in black, glossy pages leads to a gray, crinkly mess.  The above image was after getting a better scanner (not too expensive) and a scanning target to help with color matching.  Between that and the text challenge (see first post), I've wanted to translate this game for a while.
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
Re: Yakouchuu II N64 Translation
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 05:55 PM »
With most games, my first challenge after doing a text dump is figuring out a VWF, but not with this game.  You may have seen a little bit here or there about Yakouchuu II.  It's the game where the text is written top to bottom from right to left onto the screen.

So that was my first challenge.  But it didn't turn out to be too bad.  I got it sorted out in a couple hours.

Not without some hiccups along the way :)

Aww... I didn't capture that one.  I had the text going from left to right, but bottom to top.  Ah well.  Use your imagination :)

That's where we are today.  Shiren 2 is still my primary focus, and I currently have at least 4 semi-active translation projects going right now.  It's a long process, but the first few steps have been taken!
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline JoDark00

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 11:33 PM »
Really looking forward to this, and you did/are doing a tremendous job on the Shiren patches.

Trying to curb my curiosity and avoid watching too many spoiler-filled Yakouchuu videos in the meantime, please keep us posted!

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 11:48 PM »
This is so cool! I've tinkered with playing the japanese rom but there's no way to know what's going on. Can't wait to try this out.

Offline IRL Random Hajile

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 02:06 AM »
Neato! Been curious about this game in the past when I was randomly browsing some Japanese exclusive N64 titles. Tried it out before untranslated, but wasn't able to get far due to the language barrier, but even so, the game is quite intriguing. Love to be able to play through a fully translated ROM when the time comes!
"BH75001, Random Hajile... that's
R-A-N-D-O-M H-A-J-I-L-E."

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 12:41 PM »
This is awesome, I'd love to play it...

ANyone plan to translate the recently leaked gameboy color version?