Author Topic: Error in reading one folder  (Read 810 times)

Offline pegoncology

• View Profile
Error in reading one folder
« on: October 02, 2020, 09:37 AM »
Hello.
I have this error into one folder.

It should be SD card problem but it isn't. I tried with 2 other SD cards and I tried renaming the folder and even splitting and still the problem (when splitted, only one of the 2 folders has the problem). So I assume there is one file that corrupts but I don't know which one. All file seem to be ok on Win10, I can copy and paste them without any problem.
Any idea to solve the problem ? Thanks

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Re: Error in reading one folder
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 12:28 PM »
You will need to delete the entire folder this sadly means the entire compilation of what ever folder that had the games in, for example I had a folder called Super Famicom and Super NES and I made a folder that had roms labled with the tags GBA and SFC then somehow everytime I pasted a rom randomly in which I presume was likely to be checked in values and offsets to see if the screen worked with the GBA screen where it would follow the main sprite you control I pasted too many files that kept being needed to be checked which resulted in the SD I0 Error my folder when clicked on kept bringing that message up even when the other folders worked fine.

It all started from random garbage names appearing in the folder which I overlooked but noticed when going backwards through my folder somehow their were more pages than games I added which had spaces and garbled names, curiously I decided to click on one and see what it was and it gave that error, I took the SD card out and checked the folder and the extra garbage roms didn't exist so I thought it wasn't that important than later on I ran into a complete blackout screen issue when the folder was clicked on.

So in turn I had to delete the entire folder then paste each and everything back in it, which was the only way to correct it.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline pegoncology

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 12:37 PM »
So the full card from the root has to be deleted ?
Do you think zipping the card from the root and then formatting + unzipping would solve the problem or it keeps the bad architecture ?

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 01:05 PM »
So the full card from the root has to be deleted ?
Do you think zipping the card from the root and then formatting + unzipping would solve the problem or it keeps the bad architecture ?

Thankfully not the entire folder in the Root being every folder you made, as long as you remembered what folder had the error you can just delete the folder that cannot be opened for example my one was called...

4 Super Famicom & Super Nintendo

Which was in the middle of

4 SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color

And

5 Tools & Service Test Carts

Folders 4 and 5 were able to open as was the stuff in them however the other 4 folder just gave me a black screen when clicked on, to correct this I decided to make a spare folder that is now called Game Checking Progress which incase I paste too many roms in and it causes the same issue wont blackout every folder in the SNES category but instead will only mess up the folder the glitched rom names would end up happening in as I originally just pasted anything I converted into the same folder of the main games without putting them in their own folder.

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline pegoncology

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 04:49 PM »
Thanks for helping
Here it was : "GBC E-N" between "GBC A-D" and "GBC O-T". I decided to pull all files into one unique folder "GBC", same problem.
I deleted the folder and copy-paste all files into a new "GBC" folder, same problem.
I'll try to put all files into a different named folder but it is kinda weird, isn't it ?

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 04:59 PM »
Thanks for helping
Here it was : "GBC E-N" between "GBC A-D" and "GBC O-T". I decided to pull all files into one unique folder "GBC", same problem.
I deleted the folder and copy-paste all files into a new "GBC" folder, same problem.
I'll try to put all files into a different named folder but it is kinda weird, isn't it ?

Yeah it's one of the many things that no one ever talks about and sadly their is no patch that corrects this to this very day. I always imagined the issue was due to some of the text the roms have when a ' becomes a square or a ~ becomes a dot some file names are really hard for the everdrives to retain the names, it's likely best to check every folder and always press the left button on your GBA to see the last rom in the folder as that's how to notice if any roms have glitched names... I kind of wish I knew this when I was pasting SNES games to check time and time again without noticing the risk that some file names messed up the layout of the folder without me realizing too late >< It may have also been the reason why I discontinued the SNESAdvance revival project that only lasted for 3 years.

Post changed:

Offline pegoncology

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 05:39 PM »
Yes I though the same, I though maybe some files had to big names (Harry Potter and ... + 12 languages), I tried to remove those files but no luck neither

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 11:01 PM »
Yes I though the same, I though maybe some files had to big names (Harry Potter and ... + 12 languages), I tried to remove those files but no luck neither

It seems kind of like the layout of folders is done like the binary bullet points in Microsoft Word where sometimes names will either get centred for games or stay on the far left corner or go to the far right by themselves. Back on the really old EDGB I had to put 1, 2, 3, etc before each GB/GBC/ folder as adding 1. 2. 3. caused the . to be a square thankfully the X7 corrected this.

I remember once when I had my old Super Card SD before its battery ran out I had to label each folder with a 1. or another number as each time you renamed a folder it would appear at the end instead of the front... this was useful when the Disk IO error happened as it saved me having to extract every rom folder all over again, this notepad document sums it up well...

https://www.sendspace.com/file/8gdvel

For the GBA Everdrive this can also be done if I remember years ago you just would need to add some extra text at the end of the folder name I think its either a number or you delete a word from it normally it will always move that folder to the end of the list, likely you wont need to do this unless you ended up removing a Disk I0 error folder and don't want to delete the entire card just to put the folders for each format back in order again.

So in short if you had 4 folders that were say

4 SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color

4 Super Famicom & Super Nintendo/

4 Translations

5 Tools & Service Test Carts/

and the SNES one corrupted and it then just had SNK, Translations, and Tools you wouldn't need to delete the other 3 folders to get SNES back up there just change the end name of the folder and each remade file will always appear at the end of the list then just do it with the rest until SNES is back in its place when you don't rename it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 11:04 PM by Richardragon87 »

Post changed: