Author Topic: Super Mario 64 3D All Stars (Rumble SUpport)  (Read 2440 times)

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Super Mario 64 3D All Stars (Rumble SUpport)
« on: October 05, 2020, 12:42 PM »
Seems that the version fo Super Mario 64 in 3D All Stars on the Switch is based on the version with Rumble Support. Any chance of pulling out the rom and using it on hardware? Maybe modding it to restore the original button layout graphics?

Offline supersign

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario 64 3D All Stars (Rumble SUpport)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 12:57 PM »
No point since it's just the Japanese Shindou Edition with real time patching basically.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 05:08 AM by supersign »

Offline CrashOveride

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 09:42 PM »
Can confirm, the ROM the emulator uses for all regions is 1:1 shindou.

The iQue source that leaked was based off Shindou, however the source only had English support when Routefree got it to add Chinese.

So it is possible to compile a "English Shindou" from that source, however i am unsure of the legality of sharing a patch

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 10:08 PM »
You mean that the leaked source is from the unreleased English version of the shindou revision, and you can create an English shindou by compiling it? If so, we can maybe expect a no-intro release of the compiled rom. Certain prototypes like Bound High for Virtual Boy only exists as a compilation of its leaked source code, and it's included in the no-intro set.

Offline CrashOveride

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 01:29 AM »
You mean that the leaked source is from the unreleased English version of the shindou revision, and you can create an English shindou by compiling it? If so, we can maybe expect a no-intro release of the compiled rom. Certain prototypes like Bound High for Virtual Boy only exists as a compilation of its leaked source code, and it's included in the no-intro set.

Well, the issue is that compiling isn't particularly uniform; it was made for the iQue SDK in mind, and the iQue SDK contains a N64 library that breaks rumble/saving/other functions on N64 hardware

This means that to target N64 you have to build the whole SDK from source code

Also, the "English Shindou" is really just the JP shindou with english text, the rumble texture is still japanese and the mario sound changes are still there

If it is allowed, i can post a .bps patch you can apply to JP shindou so you don't have to do all that work

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 01:08 PM »
OK I thought it was the source for the original English rom, updated with the Shindou revision changes but never released.

I think a BPS patch is fair. It's not anything like posting full roms.

Offline CrashOveride

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 11:57 PM »
Well here they are: https://files.catbox.moe/ebgmal.7z

Apply to an unedited Shindou rom

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 12:34 AM »

Thanks for this. Will the English version of the Shindou version that this patch produces be fully player completable on a real N64? I'd assume so, but when a commercial release of a (supposed) game port appears, there's always the suspicion that the 'port' rom might have been modified somehow to either make it more emulator compatible, or for the sake of making it look or move better than it could on it's original machine (in this case, the N64).

Offline CrashOveride

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 02:08 AM »

Thanks for this. Will the English version of the Shindou version that this patch produces be fully player completable on a real N64? I'd assume so, but when a commercial release of a (supposed) game port appears, there's always the suspicion that the 'port' rom might have been modified somehow to either make it more emulator compatible, or for the sake of making it look or move better than it could on it's original machine (in this case, the N64).

These play perfectly on N64, with saving and rumble intact

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 03:19 AM »

I almost made Super Mario 64 Shindou Edition my first translation project back in the day.  I picked Doshin instead because I got a cheap copy of it first (I like to own the games I'm translating).  Funny how it can now be translated in an instant now with the leaks.  Also funny that Doshin never got its translation, but that's life.  At least it's ready when a translator is ready.

Thanks CrashOveride!
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline mario64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 06:30 AM »

Thank you!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2020, 04:49 PM »
Nice work!

There's still the Shindou version of Wave Race 64 if someone is looking for a hacking job (or we can wait for the source to leak again ;)). I don't think it has any new text. It's got some cool additions, including the possibility to save ghosts, in the form of a dolphin. I always play the Shindou version nowdays. Maybe there is some new text that tells you that you need a controller pak to save a dolphin or something.

Offline CrashOveride

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2020, 05:34 PM »
Nice work!

There's still the Shindou version of Wave Race 64 if someone is looking for a hacking job (or we can wait for the source to leak again ;)). I don't think it has any new text. It's got some cool additions, including the possibility to save ghosts, in the form of a dolphin. I always play the Shindou version nowdays. Maybe there is some new text that tells you that you need a controller pak to save a dolphin or something.

Incomplete (as in a large portion was precompiled) source code was leaked with SM64. Unfortunately while it was based off of Shindou, it is entirely in Japanese, including assets

I was able to get it to build for both Chinese and Japanese and can share if wanted
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 05:36 PM by CrashOveride »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 09:29 PM »
Crash, awesome, glad to see something finally complete!

Anything else cool in the source leaks?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2020, 09:53 PM »

Incomplete (as in a large portion was precompiled) source code was leaked with SM64. Unfortunately while it was based off of Shindou, it is entirely in Japanese, including assets

I was able to get it to build for both Chinese and Japanese and can share if wanted
Please do! I don't see a problem with it being in Japanese.
But is the Japanese compiled ROM any different from the released ROM?