Author Topic: Build a dedicated HTPC or just connect my regular PC with a long HDMI cable?  (Read 515 times)

Offline Fmamarksman

• View Profile
Hello all, I know this isn't really a PC forum, but I'll ask anyways. I recently built a gaming PC, and quite enjoy it. This has got me thinking- why not build a Home Theater PC dedicated to my television needs? A sort of hub for all my entertainment needs, streaming, mild gaming, physical media support (my PC does not have a disc drive). I went so far as to build one on PC part picker, and when I saw the cost, it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Why would I not just connect my gaming PC to the television with a long HDMI cable? I wouldn't have support for physical media, but it would be way cheaper. Has anyone else built a HTPC, and did you like it enough that you felt justified in building another PC altogether for your media needs?
"Father of the four winds fill my sails, cross the sea of years. With no provision, but an open face along the straits of fear."

Offline J^P

• View Profile
my main TV is close enough to my PC so I just use HDMI cable, though I do have nvidia shield TV which I use far more as its designed to be using with tv's to begin with and it emulates even wii games. Its also a lot cheaper than building an PC, especially the used 2015 models.